Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Easy Experience for the Wealthy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread

I tried the Unlimited Experience bug with the lesser Demons, but for some reason they were forcing me to waste the Health potions I've stock-piled.

So when I returned to Xardas to ask about the strange sword, I saw he had 120+ Summon Skelly / 20+ Army of Darkness / 15+ Summon Golem / and about 12 Summon Demon scrolls.

Needless to say I bought them all (close to 45,000 ore !!!), went outside his tower to an open field and summarily used 10 scrolls at a time to create my 'pets'. Killed them gleefully and saved 2 scrolls of each. In only about 2 hurs I had levelled from 37 up to 41.

Can you imagine how many levels I could have increased if I had tried this trick earlier on in the game when I didn't need so much experience to advance ...
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:33 am

I forgot to mention. You also get to recover some of your expenses by collecting the Withered Axes (Skelly Warriors) and Rusty Swords (Normal Skellies). They're cheap but getting experience + some weapons to sell / trade sure beats wasting Health potions fighting the lesser demons.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 12:42 pm

wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I thought about doing this but I decided it was underhanded and not meant to be done, so I decided against it.

It's like cheating the system; your experience is supposed to come from quests and legitimate fighting, not killing your own skeletons.

PB should have given no experience for killing your own summoned creatures, to keep players from being tempted to do this.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:19 pm
Chyren
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

aww dont be so tight dude! thats what the army calls training! ya train to get better when the real thing comes!!
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:19 am
rey_74
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ahmen!! Go EXP!!
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:34 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I just like doing things the honest way, the way they were intended. I want to feel like I earned those experience points through adventuring and heroic battles, not by summoning skeletons and bashing them to bits.

To each his own...

Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:24 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

I agree with you 100% Wes. The end of the game is that much sweeter when you can say you did it all on your own.
While technically you arent cheating if you bought all the scrolls legit, its still a cheesy way to make levels.
2-h master sword can kill the daemons in sleeper temple in two shots. I made 5 levels in that one spot and lost about 5Grilled meat worth of health (75 points is nada).
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:29 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I got some unexpected XP when I felt too weak to take on those templars at the Orc Temple and thus summoned a Golem and - straight afterwards - a bunch of skeletons. The Golem obviously didn't like the bony guys and started to hammer them into the rocky ground right before my eyes.

I felt somewhat ashamed. Hmm, luckily nobody watched me mess up my summoning...
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:45 pm

Wes,

You wrote:

"I just like doing things the honest way, the way they were intended."

If this wasn't the case, the game:
a) wouldn't allow you to kill you 'pets'
b) wouldn't give you experience for doing so

For example: in Everquest -> Pets can be used to upskill your proficency in spell-casting, but does no damage to them and thus you cannot kill them and get experience.

Since Gothic allows you to do just that ... guess what was actually intended. Or are you just being sour?

Besides, if you recall, I only tried this quite late in the game (my second time playing the game BTW). I have since levelled up to 44 (with much difficulty I might add). No more 'pet' scrolls and I don't want to go around killing off people from the different camps (although that IS an option for those of you who choose to).

As a result, this humble Templar is a MASTER in 1H , 2H and BOW (no points for cross-bow). I have Sneaking (useless) and Acrobatics. Unbuffed (without items), my Strength = 174, Dexterity = 154, mana = 168 and life = 778.

I have not used any 'cheats' not even to take screenshots AND I've had more fun this time around than finishing the game as a Guard from the Old Camp!!!

My goal (finsishing the game already been done) was to see how high I could level by the time I finfished the game. I am now picking off the fanatic templars (Mad Cor Kalom is dead already) and will then take on the sleeper's demons and finish the game ... who knows I might just make lv 45 tonight. I'll see.

Enjoy!
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:21 pm

wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Hey, you want to slaughter your own creatures, go ahead.

But they were put in the game to fight on your side, and I consider using them just to gain experience to be cowardly, underhanded, and an abuse of magic.

We may not be living by Bushido here, but I like to keep some sense of honor while playing Gothic, and I feel like killing your summoned creatures is a bit of a cheap way to increase your levels.

As I said, TO EACH HIS OWN.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:24 pm