View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

System Shock?

Have you played System Shock 1&2?

Are these games Cyberpunk? Where can I find screenshots or information about these games?

What other Cyberpunk games do you know of that I could try out?

Here are the Cyberpunk games I own and love...

1. Snatcher(Sega CD)
2. Blade Runner(PC) Westwood Games
3. Deus Ex 1&2
4. Shadowrun(SNES/GENESIS) I love the Genesis game
5. ?????(Turbografx-16) I cannot remember but I have a great cyberpunk game for this system

Is there a Shadowrun for PC?
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

System Shock /2 is straight sci-fi. Best FPS/RPG ever, though. Through the Looking Glass has forums, links and info. If you look you'll find some Abandonware sites are distributing SS2 and there's a nice hi-res models project (check RPGDot's game database) to bring some of the graphics up to date.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:13 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

More Cyberpunk games:

*Cybermage
*Bloodnet
*Syndicate

BTW, I have the SNES Shadowrun game as well.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:43 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
More Cyberpunk games:

*Cybermage
*Bloodnet
*Syndicate

BTW, I have the SNES Shadowrun game as well.

Oh, a killer rumor in the January 2004 issue of Game Informer says that...

Bungie is reviving Shadowrun for the Xbox. This would be awesome if true.

Also, piln pointed out this game that might be cool...

www.black-9.com
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:44 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm this one looks pretty nice and system shock series ruled
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:01 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm, bit of an old thread, but I'd like to agree with everyone else and say that SS1 and 2 are absolutely fantastic games, in my all-time/all-platform top 5 I reckon. They really are superb pieces of work. If you can get hold of the 1st game (CD version - it's not the same without speech!) and don't mind the headaches involved in getting old games to run (changing settings, maybe using DOS mode, fiddly controls) I would definitely recommend playing them both in order. I actually think the 1st game is better, but the second is still superb and benefits from a more evolved control method and high production values.

This thread is so old, maybe you've already started playing one of them?
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:36 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Nope, i still have not rounded up a copy yet. I will though.

Funny thing is I am just now realizing that Mr. Spector designed a ton of games I like...Deus Ex, Thief, Ultima Underworld....so I have to scope this System Shock game out.

Ultima Underworld...that was one hell of an awesome game. That would probably be why I like Arx Fatalis...it really reminds me of that game.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:10 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm never played ultima underworld
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:22 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Don't forget Spector was also involved in the production of Cybermage. That game was an underdog for sure. And Underworld was great, too.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:58 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Didn't know that about Cybermage, I'll have to track it down. Played the demo many moons ago, found it quite interesting despite some problems.

If you forced me at gunpoint to decide on my favourite game ever, I'd have to say Ultima Underworld - but I wouldn't be able to choose between 1 & 2, so I guess you'd just have to kill me

A lot of Deus Ex's best features are right there in Underworld (from way back in, when was it - '92? '93?). The games were quite astoundingly ahead of their time, and are still among the most sophisticated, intelligent and non-patronising games available (in fact I'd say that of every Spector/Looking Glass game, probably only excepting DX:IW).

Did anyone play Terra Nova? Don't know if Spector worked on it, but it was a LG game (after System Shock, I think) - squad-based tactical combat; sci-fi with power armour and cyborgs. It even featured Wing Commander-style FMV! I really didn't expect to like it, but I was pleasantly surprised - it was absolutely brilliant. Definitely worth looking for, but unlikely to run unless you have a genuine old-skool PC (it just doesn't work on most modern PCs, even if you're running DOS!)
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:00 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

EDIT (forgot that earlier on): I liked SS1 better as well. The game had the better atmosphere, especially with the speech pack (= CD version). What was very nice was that you could switch between English, French and German voice acting without having to leave the game, or even worse, reinstall. And I still have this elevator music in my head...
In SS2 I probably liked the SS1 remembrance levels best (just like the 'LoL 1 Remembrance Dungeon' - yes, it WAS named like this - in Lands of Lore 3 made me happy).

Terra Nova was another underdog, definitely. Very atmospheric.

Yes, Spector was involved in Cybermage, if only marginally (basically it was a Robert Sirotech game).
The Cybermage demo was the game's training level and had nothing to do with the story in itself. Cybermage (the demo, too) had some nasty technical problems, including CTDs when touching the ground in certain places*. But both story and game mechanics were pretty good.

*Later in the game those crashes could be circumvented by using the jetpack to fly over the crash-triggering ground, but in the earlier levels there was at least one ugly point where I had nearly given up... one had to enter the city park to solve part of a quest, and whenever I passed the gate to the park, the game CTDed. I was so relieved when I discovered the second gate into the park (which didn't trigger the CTD)...
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:27 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Thanks for the info Jaz. I'll definitely try Cybermage out. Man, I even played the Cyberpunk RPG(pen and paper) game when I was in college. Oh, and this summer Cartoon network is going to show a new series of Ghost in the Shell anime. I can't wait! I love the comics and the original movie!

Here are some cool links for Blade Runner merchandise...these are unofficial but quite awesome...

http://store.yahoo.com/toysyndicate/anhun12japcu.html
http://store.yahoo.com/toysyndicate/vehicles.html
http://members.aol.com/EDCstudios/edcbr.htm
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:28 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Cybermage is a good deal more Science Fantasy than it is Cyberpunk, but it still qualifies for the category for a variety of reasons, mainly because of the protagonist.
But if you enjoy nice concepts, weird characters (you have been reanimated and now can see dead people's essence... you basically feed by taking in bad people's souls) and a neat storyline, you should try it out.

I have played Cyberpunk p&p, too.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:45 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

played also most of them they give nice memorys. Anybody played The Darkening ? that was a nice future game also tho not from the same genre like those all u ppl listed
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:11 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

kengo, those links are cool - I love the Deckard figure!
I played a bit of Cyberpunk too. Night City,
Johnny Silverhand, Arasaka Corp. Ah, the memories...
I always thought Silverhand was a bit of a plonker though.

The only other R.Talsorian game I played was a mech-combat game called Mekton 2. Anyone know it? Bit basic on the rules side (though not bad), and had a pretty good mech-building system and cool setting/backstory. Don't know if it was based on an anime or an original idea. It had an excellent "gadget generator" - after battles, you could roll on a table to make up a name for a ridiculous component that was damaged and would need replacing - 3 or 4 D10 rolls would get you a name like "inverse magneto-positron" or "bi-interpolar-oscillo-thermoscope."

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
Anybody played The Darkening ?

Would that be Privateer 2: The Darkening?
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:10 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next