Adventure?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Adventure Games

Author Thread
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

Adventure?

what exactly constitutes an adventure game? i checked "action/adventure" on a survey about the games i play (thinking it was more or less referring to RPG games) and the next question was "have you payed the following action/adventure games?" and it was all like "jak and daxter" "ratchett and clank" "spyro" "super mario: sunshine" "sly cooper." and i was like "ichkh! thats not action and adventure, that's generic, platformer, corporate america, turn a quick profit, puff of nothing, cookiecutter, Grade C bullplop."

the whole ordeal left a sour taste in my mouth...just reading the names.... *shudder*

so what do you guys say action/adventure games are?
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:49 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

When I think of Adventure games, I think of games that focus more on story and puzzle-sovling than any other aspect. Combat can be added for an Action based adventure and RPG elements could be added for an RPG/Adventure game.
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:07 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Val
When I think of Adventure games, I think of games that focus more on story and puzzle-sovling than any other aspect. Combat can be added for an Action based adventure and RPG elements could be added for an RPG/Adventure game.

'Zactley. I'd add that movement is restricted to 'areas'. Good examples of adventure games: Myst, King's Quest, Leather Goddesses of Phoebos, etc, etc.
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:29 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

And how about some of the classic horror adventure titles like Phantasmagoria and Sanitarium? My wife loves those, even though she's terrible at them.

I think the best known recent entry in the genre would be Syberia. I think Syberia2 was recently released, but I'm not certain.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:58 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

When I think of Adventure games, I think of Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer, and the Quest for Glory games. Then I drop down to King's Quest.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:12 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I personally think that for a game to be considered an adventure it needs to be story driven and have an inventory based puzzle system. In other words, it needs to have items that you manipulate with the environment to solve puzzles and further the story.
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:03 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I'd forgotten about Simon! I *liked* that game and was really po'd when a friend of mine parked his cigar on the jewel case, forgot about it and melted the CD!
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:02 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm, a cigar that induces short-term memory loss, eh? Oh well, unlucky Lintra.

My old faves in the adventure genre are the Monkey Islands (although I never played no. 4), Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Bioforge (an action/adventure in the Alone in the Dark mould, but sci-fi setting - fantastic game, anyone remember it?).
I think my all-time favourite would have to be Azrael's Tear... old game, a 1st-person adventure (you are armed, but there are very few moments in the game that you could really describe as "action"), with a fantastic setting & story, great characters (and a rarity: good voice-acting), brilliant artwork... definitely worth a look if you can find it.

I think the most high-profile recent adventure game would be Broken Sword 3. I wasn't terribly keen on it, but they did a really good job with the new control method.
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:07 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I remember Bioforge, that was a GREAT game. Day of the Tentacle was also excellent. A few other great adventure games stick in my mind. The second Gabriel Knight adventure, The Beast Within, was extremely well done, in fact I'd like to find a used copy and play that one again. Another really great adventure that received virtually no attention (all people cared about were Doom clones when it came out) was a game called Realms of the Haunting, a really well done title. I enjoyed Dragonsphere and Darkseed as well. Two modern adventures that are good would be Sanitarium (excellent!) and Chronomaster both done by Dreamforge entertainment.

Here's a link to someone that made out a list of their favorite freeware adventure games. I played Out of Order which wasn't too bad for a free game.

http://www.epinions.com/content_3626541188
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:46 am
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Hey! I happened to have liked Jak and Daxter as well as Spyro! Those were great games!
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:57 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, I'm kind of enjoying Mario Sunshine at the moment too. Not a patch on Mario 64 though, that game was a masterpiece of design. A lot of these cutesy-looking games are actually really good if you can look past the surface (unless, of course, you like that style, in which case you don't have to). The best example of this has to be the Zelda series. I used to set my face against apparently kiddy-friendly (mainly Nintendo) games, but as I've got older I've learned to put my reservations aside - and I've been rewarded by experiencing truly astonishing titles like Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:41 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

all right i'm feelin ya, i'm feelin ya. so we're talkin leisure suit larry (awesome series with an all too easy to break age verifier ) type stuff...

i was actually thinking what val said initially reminded me of zork and/or quest for glory, but was wary of posting that for fear of appearing a doofus.

i don't recall a game called bioforge, but the first alone in the dark was a masterpiece, super blocky polygon graphics and all. but by the time the third one rolled around the series just felt like a resident evil wannabe. did anyone get the 4th one that came out a few years ago?

as far as the cutesy platformers go...well i guess if thats what you like thats what you like. for me its not so much the cutesyness as the platforming that puts me off. prince of persia managed to pull it off with style, and i could even see buying a crash bandicoot or spyro, and to a lesser extent tomb raider (since there are other reasons why that game's a seller ) when they were new and revolutionary. but i mean after awhile don't you get tired of timing jumps over pits and collecting glowing, rotating, fruit/gems/coins?

majora's mask...was that the super-cheezy psuedo cartoon that came out on the 3DO? if so...
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:33 am
Everclearules20
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
majora's mask...was that the super-cheezy psuedo cartoon that came out on the 3DO? if so...

No, It's the followup to Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which was a really good game for the N64, the best in my opinion. I never played Majora's Mask, but I assume it's really good.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:10 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The adventure forum was created to support our upcoming site AdventureDot. We interpret adventure in a classical sense: riddles, quests, point & click, action is not the dominating factor.

Monkey Island, Larry, Space Quest, Broken Sword, Syberia are adventures.
Freelancer has nothing in common with an adventure game.
Jak & Dexter, etc. are jump & runs. This is a completely different genre. I hope I remember it correctly from the reviews.
Tomb Raider is an action-adventure. Also a different genre.

There havenīt been as many interesting adventures in the pipeline as now in the last 10 years.
The Westerner: the first 3D point & click adv. . Reviews from 85-93%.
Runaway 2
Syberia 2
The Moment of Silence: a innovative sci-fi thriller.
Tony Tough, maybe already released in English.
Plus many more.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:52 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

@TheLonePaladin: Oops, yeah... I forgot to say, although lots of those "cutesy" looking games are better than you might think, I couldn't really describe any of the ones you mentioned as adventure games. As you say, they're pretty much direct decendants of the classic platform game. Jak 2 seems to be a bit more of a genre-melder, but is likely way too action-oriented to match Gorath's description.

@Gorath, I've asked the same question in another thread, but how about survival horror? The emphasis on action varies (Res. Evil: Nemesis and Headhunter are pretty trigger-happy, Eternal Darkness much less so) - would any of this type of game be appropriate? And how about text adventures/interactive fiction? The form is about as traditional as you can get, but many recent works have focused more on story than puzzle-solving. Would these still be considered adventure games?

If it's a whole new site, I think it would make sense to allow a diverse range of subjects (as RPGDot does), but I can understand why you want to limit coverage of action-heavy titles.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:29 am