Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Suggestions on how you could improve your FPS (quite long)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Wiley Wilson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Suggestions on how you could improve your FPS (quite long)

After reading on this group about so many people annoyed with low frame rates, I thought I would post my findings and experience with a view to maybe helping those with "decent" systems (1600Mhz+, Geforce 3+ card) who are stuggling to get over 10FPS. In light of reading this, you may save the month or so time it has taken me to get Morrowind playing like I always thought it should.

Original spec - 1200 AMD Thuderbird, 256MB RAM, GF2 GTS
Bought Morrowind
Upgraded RAM to 512MB
Over a period of a month tried combinations of Unofficial patch, unpatched and 1.1.060 patch.
Test - Standing with my back to the water in Seyda Neen with the dock to my left and looking into the village (between the 2 Census and Excise builings):
Result - Half draw distance, no shadows, near AI, pixel shading off, music off, averaged 8 FPS
Conclusion - RAM made insignificant difference (marginally faster load times), but "unofficial" patch made a noticeable difference (about 3 FPS)

Gutted
Sick of lack of performance, on 27th July, I upgraded to 1800XP, new motherboard, Hercules 8500LE graphics card. After 5 nights of reformatting and trying about 10 different combinations (with many combinations, Morrowind would crash to desktop constantly) of chipset drivers, graphics card drivers and various morrowind patch releases , - not an hour ago
- VICTORY -
Test - as above
Result - Full detail, 1/2 shadows, near AI, pixel shading off, Unofficial patch - 17 FPS, 1.1.060 - 17 FPS, 1.2.0722 19 FPS
Conclusion - Frame rates have more than doubled, AND I've doubled the draw distance AND I've got 1/2 shadows. Note that the latest patch is 2 FPS quicker on average and with pixel shading on, FPS dropped by 3 FPS.

To round up, (with the exception of your system specs) drivers seem to be key - stops crashes and boosts performance. Get a good system configuration and the rest should fall into place

Now please, do not get me wrong - I'm not posting this to "show off", I was sooooo disappointed with the performance of this game that I'd watched throughout it's development that I was determined to get it working well. Especially since I feel the game is worth it and with the mod support it has, will keep me going for a long time to come.

Good luck - feedback welcome.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:51 pm
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

Lol, you wasted a lot of money, only thing you needed to upgrade was ur graphic card. I have Athlon 1400 Thunderbird, 256 RAM, GeForce 4 Ti4600, and running on WinXP and I get 23-30 FPS in balmora ALL maxed out, all turned on, 18 - 25 FPS if raining
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:11 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'm going to upgrade to Athlon 1800/512mb ddr ram/GF4ti4200 128mb. My old p120/32mb EDO ram/Stealth2+Voodoo1 isnt really top-notch anymore.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:00 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
I'm going to upgrade to Athlon 1800/512mb ddr ram/GF4ti4200 128mb. My old p120/32mb EDO ram/Stealth2+Voodoo1 isnt really top-notch anymore.

Godspeed...
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:01 pm
Wiley Wilson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Normally, Bearish I'd agree. I certainly conceed that the GF4 4600 is a mighty card - albeit at a steep price! (in the UK anyway). Fortunately I purchased the hercules on ebay at a knockdown bid and the CPU/mobo at a computer fair. Combined with putting the kit together myself and flogging my old Gfx card, mobo and CPU - I'm very happy wihh the cost of my upgrade!

Cheers
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:21 pm
shockzero
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

he needed the cpu and ram upgrade as well...if not ..a geforce 4 ti4600 would just have been bottlenecked
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:55 pm