FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Bugs etc
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Hallo guys
Before buying this game I would just like to know if there are any known bugs or whatever, because the last game I bought was POR2and i do not wish to go through the same ordeal again...
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:34 pm

Ilmarin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I can't speak for others, but I didn't find any major show-stopping bugs. However, there are a few scripting bugs and oddities that you will probably encounter.

If you've played Ultima IX, which is a similar style of game to Gothic, then you'll know that these sorts of games can have a number of minor bugs due to the sheer complexity of them. Unlike Ultima IX, Gothic's bugs are too few to have any major impact on your playing experience.

Ilmarin
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 12:08 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I agree.

This game is huge, and really complex... And I have only seen two or three bugs in the entire game... That you are not likely to come by if you havnt played the game alot.

I have probably never seen a RPG so bugfree as Gothic is.

best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:36 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Some people seem to have a few problems with the latest hardware. Play the demo to find out if itīs stable.
If itīs stable youīll have a lot of fun.
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:56 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Gorath
------
I have a Audigy Live soundcard, a GeForce 3 Ti500 card, Athlon and Windows XP.

Enough to give most games a headache... But with the recent drivers of everything, the game works superb.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:20 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Then lets define latest hardware as 'Radeon 8500'.
All I say is some people have hardware or driver related problems, so itīs a good idea to play the demo.
If itīs stable and you like the atmosphere, Gothic is the best game of the year.
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:27 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

True, true.

My overall opinion of ATI have been the same for many years - ATI cannot do decent drivers, therefore their cards are a no-no buy for me.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:35 pm
Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Oh yeah, like nVidia isn't the reason WinXP has that driver roll back feature.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:14 pm

thx a lot guys
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:12 am

Don't bother getting the game yet it's unfinished and buggy, wait for the budget release, by then there might be some fixes though there will certainly be some other game better than this bug-fest by then.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:34 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Saint_Proverbius
----------------
NVidia and Microsoft Co-operated on XBox.
XBox have a Win2k Kernel.

= NVidias drivers are sometimes faster on Win2k/XP than in Windows 9x, specially in OpenGL.

Go figure.

Anonymous
---------
That is a lie.

Gothic is defenitly finished.

Gothic have a very low number of bugs compared to other RPG's. I have played most RPG's on the market, and to be honest, i havent seen a RPG yet so bugfree as Gothic are.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:01 pm

If you haven't seen a game as bug free as gothic then you must have played it with your eye shut, either that or you've only ever played UA (also a shit game). There are obvious missing quests, broken dialouge, bugs such as falling through the floor, AI errors, graphical errors, all things which have nothing to do with an unusual buggy setups - that wouldn't be fair - but this game obviously was rushed when they ran out of money, only a blind fanboi would see it any other way.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:58 pm

I was actually still playing PoR until I got Gothic (despite all the bugs it can be an enjoyable game _if_ it runs on your system). I saw a lot of graphics glitches until I upgraded to the very latest nVidia drivers, but since then I haven't seen any major bugs. I'm sure there are scripting bugs, and I've heard that I will need to use a teleport cheat on occasion but considering the complexity of the game I don't consider any of them major detriments to enjoying the game.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 6:22 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Anonymous
---------
No, I have been on this forum a long time now, and played the game through once. There are only three known bugs (excluding meatbugs):

* The winch bug in the Crawler Mine
* The Skeleton Mage summoning crash
* Gorn starts to attack you in the Free Mine

This game is almost completely free from bugs, and contains far less bugs than normal RPGs.

Almost all Black Isle games contains lots of bugs. Fallout 2 before the patch was almost unplayable, and the update trashed the savefiles.

There where bugs in Deus Ex alright, without the Direct3d patch the game was incredibly slow. Many stopped to play Deus Ex becouse of that bug.

PoR... Nah, I dont even want to start describing that game...

Wizardry 8 is already patched.

How many patches havnt been released for Diablo 2 so far?

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 6:49 pm

But you are forgetting that Gothic has already had to be patched.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 7:20 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next