Usergroups
I am a true Warrior!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Christina the Warrior
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just finished the game and I would like to thank everyone who helped me out along this arduous journey, it was greatly appreciated! Hmmm, to play again or not to play again, that is the question!
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:44 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Now heres the answer: Play and play again!
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:37 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

The unfortunate reality is that all the quests are really the same. However, if you play a pure mage - just force yourself to do everything with magic - it plays quite a bit differently.

Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:08 am

It's impossible to be a "true" warrior in this game, you have to cast at least 2 spells to complete the game.
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:45 am

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Glad you made it!
A replay would be the most sensible thing to try, though it might have certain disadvantages... you see, I started out as OC first time around and then tried to play it next time as a NC guy. Sigh. I just didn't feel good as a NCer, so I stopped somewhere halfways and started over again... joining OC again!

Now call that stupidity, or true love ...

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-02-05 00:21 ]
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:20 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Jaz and that undying loyalty to those that will surely betray you in the end time and time again

I played OC *one* time, they dont know a good thing when they see it, so I signed up with the Sect-Loonies and the NCs everytime since hehe

If you are going to replay, I'd recommend going true archer because:
* You know the game and what to do so, all that extra time you'll save on not re-exploring you can use to figure out the best perch for your next hunt
* Archer is challenging enough to replay the game as one and not impossible like being a mage, where you dont even get the power until chapter 3 (unless sect) and will have to compromise mana for might cause you wont be able to cast the good magics until 3-4th circle.
Xbow of War...Nuff said.
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:00 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Yeah, 'nuff said until you reach the bowels of the Orc Temple and your bolts and arrows are bouncing off the enemies.

You'd wish you had invested more points in strength and weapon training if you get in THAT situation.
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:33 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Bolts dont bounce off Orcs when you've trained Xbow, they penetrate them.
And she just finished the game as warrior, what she gonna do, replay as a *stronger* warrior? *yawn*
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:35 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Heyyy, Christina 's name is 'warrior'. She didn't tell us whether she played the game as a hack'n'slasher, archer or mage...!

I - always the coward - played it as an archer first time through. I made it through the orc temple with Bullit's crossbow and a longbow and it worked out quite nicely. Actually, all you need is to become strong enough to carry an orc two-hander or Uriziel later on.
This time around I chose to invest primarily in strength and close combat skills.

Oh and yes, Shrapnel, seems like I love games which let me feel victimized ... that was exactly the feeling I cherished most in Deus Ex as well.
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:09 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:

On 2002-02-05 15:09, Jaz wrote:
I - always the coward - played it as an archer first time through. I made it through the orc temple with Bullit's crossbow and a longbow and it worked out quite nicely.

I have been unable to do any damage at all to skeletons with a bow or crossbow - so how did you make it through all the skeletons I know are in the later parts of the game? If you say you pulled out a sword or axe - then you didn't really do it as an archer.

Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:58 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Okay, I admit it, I was a mongrel and used the orc hammer against skeletons. As I this time specialize *primarily* in close combat, I specialized *primarily* in bows/xbows then. But I didn't kill many skeletons, anyway... I preferred to run from them.
Post Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:59 am
heat
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I prefer stabbing them from behind!

Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:03 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:

On 2002-02-05 12:35, Shrapnel wrote:
Bolts dont bounce off Orcs when you've trained Xbow, they penetrate them.
And she just finished the game as warrior, what she gonna do, replay as a *stronger* warrior? *yawn*

I mean Apocalyptic Templars, Demon Lords, Cor Kalom, and the obsessed novices. I have NEVER been able to damage them with a bow, crossbow, or normal melee weapon, not even Innos' Rage.

Only Uriziel or the Death Wave Rune.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:54 pm
Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well.. for all you people out there..A Mage is a very good Challenge and when you have finished the game you can say to yourself.."DAMM i am a god"..haha
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:58 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Being a mage in Gothic has its fun points, but it's almost more trouble that it's worth.

Think of all the runes you must gather, the potions you have to manage, and the constant running from enemies you can't kill in one spell and can't shoot again before they close with you.

Give me a two-handed sword and heavy armor any day.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:59 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next