Usergroups
Gothic II Die Nacht des Raben English Translation Mod 1.0
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The first release version was just launched. Enjoy it!

Thank you!
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:28 pm
SG81
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nice...

Thank you very much.
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:06 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

***changed the re-translation of Ork Oberst from orc leader to orc commander ***

The reason why we chose Orc Leader (even though it is not technically as accurate as Orc Commander) is when you go to fight the "Orc" you will not have a long ass silly bubble label over his head when the Orc is in focus saying "Orc Commander"; Orc Leader is much shorter and 'looks' better in game.

But what the heck, everyone has thier own opinion. Go play the game and see what I mean.

I personally hex edit it back to Orc Leader. It is not as annoying to see it.
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:50 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Leo says the correct translation would be Orc Colonel. Not that it matters, itīs a rather unimportant detail.
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:11 am
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, the meaning of Oberst word IS colonel, and is exactly how it was initially translated in original Gothic 2's english version...

But...

Colonel is a rather modern word, which don't have its place in a medievel world. That's why we initially re - translated it as Orc Leader. Then we saw that it can be confusing as there are other mentions regarding an orc leader and that this Orc Oberst was a military leader... so, to avoid the confusions we re-treanslated it as Commander.

And as you can see, not even us were all having the same oppinion about it, but I asked everyone and the most "votes" were for commander word. But as Xerxes did, you can easely replace it with Leader or whatever else you want to...
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:43 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

but how did PB translate those orcs ? also as commander ?
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:36 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
but how did PB translate those orcs ? also as commander ?

Like Cothyso said, I distinctly remember it being "Orc Colonel" in the original English G2.
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:25 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Orc Colonel is OK. It is a short word.

This is where opinions will differ. I just thought you would not want a long word floating over the 'Orc' while in game. Orc Commander just 'looks' goofy. The original German is a very short word indeed so there is no problem there.

Each person around the world is going to have a different idea on what is the proper 'English'. We are all from different countries and have our own slightly localized version of international English, and thinking when it comes to what is funny.

Example, even though I understand British English, I in the USA receive British comedy shows on our Public Broadcast System television; but I do not understand thier humor, it is within their social and situational stratus which I am not privy to.

Looking at translating Diccuric; I can not express or even understand the subtile meaning and word usages. You really need to be truely bi-lingiual to get a decent translation.

Any foreign translation could be argued forever. I do not envy a translators jobs. I say thanks to everyone who helped. Cothyso and et al, did a wonderful job considering the major task at hand.

PS Why is Colonel pronounced kernal?
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:54 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I can't thank Cothyso and crew enough for the Addon Translation. You made my day and many evenings!

One comment I'd like to make is that to me, the Enlgish translation of of Gothic was near perfect. As I was playing that game, it never occurred to me that the game was translated because nothing seemed awkard. The voice acting was also better.

Gothic 2 is not badly translated, but there are more tell-tale signs of translations than in Gothic.

For example. When asking people about their jobs, your character will ask: "What is your task?"

Most American English speakers would say "what is your job?". Maybe 'task' is a British thing... Sure, the word usage is techinically correct,, but just not something you hear people saying. A native speaker or someone that lived in American would know that.

Another awkward pharse is "made himself scarce" being used to mean someone left or disappeared. It would sound more natural to just say "xxx disappeared." or "xxx ran off". I've never heard someone use that term "made himself scarce" before.
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:09 pm
SG81
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Spoiler:
Is the Orc in question., the same one that has the Orc invasion plans, and has that map where all the mini-armies are? The one that Lord Hagen tells you to get the ring from and stuff?

As long as I know he's the head honcho, it's all good.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:32 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe in german language Colonel sounds almost the same like it was written and like i understand that word came from german language
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:17 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

In the german language (in orignal german Gothic 2 and in its addon too) the word used was Oberst, which doesn't sound like the english Colonel... no matter how bad ears you can have

But is true that Oberst translation IS Colonel (we didn't kept that translation as Colonoel not because it was a bad translation, but because the original german Oberst doesn't fit with Gothic's medieval world).
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:26 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You did realize that almost the complete dialog was modern language, I hope? The Gothic series doesnīt use old fashioned language.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:26 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

yes, but using modern language and style of speaking is one thing, while using modern words like TV set, space shuttle, train, laser and so on is another. hope you understood my point.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:21 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

True, using such words is a difference. Is the military rank 'colonel' relatively new? 'Oberst' is probably several hundred years old.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:30 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next