Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Which one will push the MMRPG boundaries?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Which one will push the MMRPG boundaries?
World of Warcraft
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Horizons
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Middle Earth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Everquest 2
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dragon Empires
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Darkfall
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
City of Heroes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wish
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ultima X
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dangeon & Dragons
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Warhammer Online
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Ryzom
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Lineage 2
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dark and Light
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neocron
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mythica
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Ages of Athiria
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Populopolis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Atriarch
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pirates of the Burning Sea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Thread
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Players would have to appear the same, since obviously the monsters can't tell the difference between one human and another. They also wouldn't have access to the player's name. That would be a good way to help curb the griefing aspect of players being monsters. I've always said that the best opponent you will ever have is another person. Obviously I'm not going to be against players being monsters if I'm already for PvP

-vaticide
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:13 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

well im looking forward to a bunch of those games... but the one i think is going to blow them all out of the water is allready out ... and kicking butt ... toontown that is ... rock on mickey mouse

actually though i like the premise of lineage 2 ... the ability to become the ruler of the kingdom = wicked. and i loved lineage 1 ... other than all the korean hackers >>>> GRRRR but yeah ...

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:37 am
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

EQ implemented that possibility already. Anyone could be a NPC - rat, snake, beetle. It was real fun at the begining, but I guess it wasnt a big success because playing a npc for long time wasnt too appealing.

Maybe because players couldnt reach the same deepness of content as playing a "normal" character.

About what I would like to see on a coming mmrpg, thats a tough one. It should be a "game" and a "world" at same time. IE, SWG as it is now, is more of a "world" lacking "game" contents.

A good mmrpg , should:

- It should have a complex, deep and rewarding crafting system

- Loot should consist of "fragments" and only crafters should be able to do something usefull out of them.

- without the need of zoning, should have "areas" with their own personality, lots of them. Each area should have a proper music or sounds acordingly with its characteristics.

- the combact system should demand some strategy from the player, avoiding the old "attack-wait-loot." Even if the mob is green you should die if you just engage and afk.

- the game should give a sense of acomplishment, even if you can only play for 1 hour you should be able to do something to advance your character.

- PvP - the word "balanced" has a special meaning here.

- Private zones for small groups "dungeon crawl" its a must.

- Classes should be complementary but not too much in order to let people solo if they want to.At the same time, people should aply some strategy while choosing classes for their group considering their specific goals. (I think EQ, after 4 years, really hit the nail on the class balancing)

I need to work now, hehe
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:31 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
EQ implemented that possibility already. Anyone could be a NPC - rat, snake, beetle. It was real fun at the begining, but I guess it wasnt a big success because playing a npc for long time wasnt too appealing.

But maybe it failed because they implemented it in a way that it felt like the same game with more limitations. As I said, make the monster game simple, more action oriented, where if you die it doesn't really matter. The same as if you'd die in Quake, for instance. Die, wait, respawn, kill... If the developper made a different client interface for the monster game, it wouldn't feel as if it lacked character advancement. And you could jump from one client to the other on the same server, playing a monster would be more like a "stress-relief" whenever you hit some kind of frustration level with your character. I just think that there could be so much more thought put into this than what EQ tried...

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
- PvP - the word "balanced" has a special meaning here.

I really think that the player community doesn't help in this matter. There will always be some people out there to complain that their healer can't kill as well as an expert swordsman... How do you balance the healing class against the combat class? I just don't see it happen. A game eventually ends up balanced after years because everyone has complained and they ended up nerfing one class after another until everyone is as ineffective as everybody else.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:43 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

310 views on this topic, and only 12 votes. What the...geez ppl all you have to do to vote is click the mouse button a couple more times.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:16 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

Hmm

Kinda hard to vote when most of us are sick to death of promised fluff, and given a shaft for our dollar! Lets look at one of my favorite potentials coming out...Horizons! Can anyone remember the original concept? Isn't mmorpg stand a bit for roleplaying game? WHo are the three iggits that voted for this one?

Original= Death system,Faction system,pvp,dieties,multitude of races,underwater race(swimming).
Slated for release= None of the above, Nough said!
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:57 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Add adellion to the list. And as for atriarch that project is pretty much dead, R.I.P.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:11 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

The one that currently has my heart is Trials of Ascension. Every advanced feature on everybody's wishlist is supposed to be in it. And the devs seem determined to make it true. They have my prayers with them.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:32 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Me too! My favs are Darkfall, Trials of Ascension, EQ2, and Dragon Empires.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:22 pm
spooky tooth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
The way you will have children that you will be able to control once your character perma-dies, or dies from old age, is something very intriguing and very interesting in a role-playing sort of way. That one could make a few heads turn as well!

Saga of Ryzom has, or will have, or maybe they gave up on, this feature. Sorry if that sounds wishy washy but you know hown it is, they promise this and that........and then the game comes out.....
The whole heir system as a conception is very cool....why just build a character when you can build an entire family lineage?.....

Anyhow....
Essentialy what a mmorpg needs is....single player features. We all love single palyer games, and whats not to love? You play a game like EQ - or any other mmmorpg for that matter - and you get what one of the previous posters described SWG as - "a game world, without game content", its so true it hurts! In a single player game your the hero, your character has meaning/background from the moment you start it up, and there are quests/stories to be involved in - involved in <-----dont forget that .
Perhaps when EQ came out they were limited by technology - actualy I've read that they implemented the level tread-mill to get more hours/money out of people, which I can believe.

I guess if I have a point here its that the ground breaking mmorpg is the one that will actually make a game - rather than simply a game world .......huge difference.

Although Im the mod at http://www.world-of-ryzom.com <---(shameless plug) Im not realy betting on any of these games. If only one were to be saying the right things it would be WOW. They talk a lot about game play. The rest talk about features ---> props/background/toys...useless crap that makes it look pretty but as a game sucks (SWG anyone )

And btw a nice group you have here, Ill have to stop by more often.
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:47 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I was considering playing Realms of Torment until i read about decaying skills (decay if you dont use them) and saw the screenshots of that totally unimpressive graphics engine...

EDIT -- decaying skills doesnt = good gameplay feature. Once you learn how to bake bread its unlikely you will forget. I can swim, always have, but im not gonna forget how to swim by not swimming. I havent driven a car in a while, but i still know how to drive a freakin car...
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:46 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

No offence to those who voted for what they voted for, but did you vote for what you like or did you vote for what you actually think will push bounderies? I see 5 ppl have voted for Horizons. Sure the game is looking pretty good and is closer to release than any others, but aside from being able to be a Dragon, what bounderies is it pushing? I voted for DF, they have a lot of hope and promises out there, we'll see. But as I've been reading more and more, I think UXO is going to push bounderies. Alot of ppl don't like the fact that it is not the complete RP'ing experiance, but it has the stuff that is needed to get a slugish genre back on track. I don't much like the fact that UXO is missing all those RP'ing qualities either but at least it is doing new and different things. Horizons, however, I've read about it some, and haven't read anything that pushes new ideas, just taking old ones and painting a new coat on them. EQ2, yeah i'm looking forward to it because it's EQ, but is it doing anything new? DF has a great chance of pushing bounderies if it lives up to its early promises. Yeah I know...big if. Again not to knock anyones personal preferances, but which one, (the one game) that is going to break the boring MMORPGs rules? Which one is going to revive this genre? I say UXO. But...I'm most looking forward to DF.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:02 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Kiff
No offence to those who voted for what they voted for, but did you vote for what you like or did you vote for what you actually think will push bounderies?

I don't know if anyone can truthfully divorce themselves from what they like and honestly say that something else will truly shine. Quite honestly, I voted for Horizons, but I did so very reluctantly. Why did I vote for Horizons? Because it's the one I know the most (which doesn't mean much because I still know very little about it). Can I say that everyone else who think otherwise are wrong? Not really. We like upcoming games because we hope that they will, in one way or another, push some kind of boundaries. Now, admitedly, "pushing boundaries" is vague... What boundaries? How will they be pushed? Is getting more people on a single server pushing a boundary? Is having decaying skills pushing a boundary? Is perma-death a boundary?

quote:
Originally posted by Kiff
Again not to knock anyones personal preferances, but which one, (the one game) that is going to break the boring MMORPGs rules?

None. They are all out to make money and be enjoyed by as many people as they possibly can, and for that reason alone none of them will push the boundaries of the genre to the extent that you are describing. Some of them will innovate, some will surprise us, but none will really push the genre forward enough to qualify as a genre-breaking game. None of them. ATiTD is pretty ground breaking I believe... but would you say that it "pushed the boundaries" of MMORPGs? No... it's not popular enough.

The genre will advance with small steps taken by each and every game as a whole. It's wishful thinking to even dream that a single game will redefine the genre in this market. You know what is really pushing the boundaries of MMORPGs right now? It's the fact that there are so many games to list! That's pushing a boundary. That's a sign that the genre is thriving, that better things will come. But these better things will be all over the place, here and there, in each and every game.

Call me pessimistic, but I refuse to think that one of these games will be revolutionary enough to qualify, even if I did vote...

Mark my words: the day that the game you voted for comes out is the day you'll be disapointed if you continue to believe that it will push the boundaries of the genre so much. Keep your wishes down to a realistic level and you might not be so much disapointed.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:46 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

[quote="EkimKeep your wishes down to a realistic level and you might not be so much disapointed. [/quote]

Well I don't think I've been disappointed in any of the MMO's I've played, I like each one for another reason and I like to see what new stuff each as to add to the genre. I expect alot from the games coming out. I expect them to have every aspect up and running smooth, just like the promise, at launch. I expect alot, and I know my expectations are unrealalistic, thats why I don't get disappointed. I'm happy with whats to come and look forward to all of them and each innovative idea that they bring. But I don't think some are going to introduce an aspect or idea or style that ever MMO after that will have to have to succed, and I think UXO might have that with Real-time combat. Of course RT combat is a promise I am only expecting to see...so we'll see.

Then again RT combat may be the total oppisite of what some ppl want...geez I hate haveing two personalities.

I guess thats where I was going though, what "BREAK THROUGH" innovation will be a "must have" in future MMO's for them to survive?

Is it the Bazaar like in EQ, or the Real-Time combat like in UXO or is it something that hasn't even been introduced yet?
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:43 pm
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
EDIT -- decaying skills doesnt = good gameplay feature. Once you learn how to bake bread its unlikely you will forget. I can swim, always have, but im not gonna forget how to swim by not swimming. I havent driven a car in a while, but i still know how to drive a freakin car...

Decaying skills is not the same as vanishing skills. If you are very good at something, you must have practiced it for some time and if you don't practice for a while you certainly won't forget how to do it but you will become slower/clumsier - your skills have decayed.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:05 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next