FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Gollum

Truly a great game! I hadn't played RPGs for a couple months when I finally decided to give Gothic a go. The first 10 minutes were very awkward and off-turning - the interface isn't very intuitive at all, but once you figure out the controls it becomes quite easy! <br>Melee fighting multiple enemies can be quite hard and is, except for the occasional bug, probably the only thing that can be annoying in this game. Story, characters, gameworld, design and everything else is very stylish and gets you hooked fast. Enemy AI is often amazing, especially for beasts who fight in packs like wolfs, they are clever and almost always find a way to get to you. You will often find yourself looking hard for strategically good places to attack tougher enemies, and no matter how good this place is, its almost never really "safe" - the first time some orc dogs ran like 500m along a cliff and suddenly got at me from behind while I was fighting their remaining friends was almost frightening!. <br>The non-linear first chapter is the coolest part of the game IMHO, afterwards the game is a lille bit too linear, but the great story is then kicking in and makes up for that. <br>Any RPG player who hasn't given this gem a try yet please do yourself a favour and get this game, you won't regret it!
Post Thu May 02, 2002 9:19 pm

Bobby Brady

How do you move things around in your inventory?
Post Thu May 02, 2002 9:50 pm

ffbj

If you have questions please go to the forums. Us arrow keys, left/right to navigate inventory. Up to equip, down to drop. Using left mouse button.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 1:59 pm

BuddyTool

I really enjoyed Gothic. Although Morrowind has my FULL attention now. <br> <br>Does anyone know if Gothic 2 will have shields in the game? Thats the one thing that turned me off. How could they forget to put shields in the game?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:52 am

Lamquin

Man, i LOVE IT!!!! <br> <br>Ive even seriusly thought about stopping to go to school just to do thaqt little quest and the one after and so on! <br> <br> <br>But, when i transform into a creature (minecrawler) how the heck to i transform back?!
Post Fri May 17, 2002 11:54 am

EDV

Press enter.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 2:11 pm

the master of the univers

incredible game. the rpg of the century, the best game ever made. there will never be a better game, if they do it would kill you instantly by giving you a heart attack. <br> <br> <br>
Post Sat May 18, 2002 5:16 pm

Mattias Kreku

Ok, I have Morrowind and I have Gothic installed on the computer in front of me. I have played Gothic so much I finished it (even though I am a true explorer. I am 99% sure there's not a pixel in the world which I haven't stepped on) while I have only spent like 50 hours in Morrowind. Why is it then that I keep finding myself daydreaming about Gothic WHILE I am slowly tredding through Morrowind? Everytime I talk to one of the clone npc's in any of the towns I miss the sound of the digger's voices.. When I get lost in the massive Morrowind wilderness I miss the hidden caves, the ruins, dungeons, towers and even the orcs in Gothic.. Damn, I think Gothic has ruined something for me! Damn you, Gothic, I love you!
Post Sun May 19, 2002 10:58 pm

Jung

I agree with Mattias Kreku. So far, trudging through Morrowind is dissapointing after playing Gothic. <br> <br>One thing that reviewers fail to mention is how spectacular and realistic the underground environs are. Makes MW's look silly.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 8:19 pm

Mattias Kreku

Good call, Jung! That is something I've forgotten to describe in my insane rantings about Gothic.. Not only the underground environments, but the wilderness environments! Did you guys ever stop to think about how incredibly well-planned the world of Gothic really is? How much they managed to cram into that place without ever making it feel crowded? The entire world is jam-packed with spectacular views! Someone in the development team of Gothic did one hell of a job designing the surroundings. The mountains really looked like towering mountains. The waterfalls really looked like roaring waterfalls. You never ever felt like the world was flat with a bunch of small hills placed on top of it (like I happen to do in Morrowind). And whichever way you chose in Gothic, you ALWAYS found something of interest! I still don't understand how they managed to pull off that trick. I just hope they manage to do that again in Gothic 2. I want another spectacular world to explore!
Post Sun May 26, 2002 12:57 am

Felixoss

And I agree with you MK. Gothic is the best game I've ever played. I connot wait for Gothic 2. When I looked at the www.gothic2.com I almost had a heart attack. It will be GREAT game to (I hope!!!). I Cannot wait!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 12:58 pm

Sun Tzu's Disciple ][

I agree that morrowind was quite a letdown. Well, I guess Neverwinter Nights will hold my attention until Gothic II comes out! Maybe I should start learning some German so that I don't have to wait for the English release. Go Gothic!!!
Post Fri May 31, 2002 11:29 am

Barzenak

Gothic was a true pleasure once I got the hang of the controls! A strong story, voice acting instead of reading dialog and a good engine made the game an addiction. I found it one of the better rpgs I have played lately. Bested Morrowind,Diablo2,Arcanum,Dungeon Siege and came close to matching the fun I used to have in Asheron's Call years ago. <br> <br>Gothic 2 will be purchased as soon as it is out !
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:10 am

Son111

This game is great...but i think it was better to create more realistic character.... for example...the story in Gothic is superlative but the graphic of the caracther is better in Blade of Darknees...someone know this game?
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:39 am

JKnight1085

This is an awesome game! I find myself playing from the wee hours of the morning till late that night only taking a break for dinner. The only thing I don't like about Gothic is that annoying Mud..... he won't leave me alone.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:19 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next