Dark Brotherhood question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
czettler
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dark Brotherhood question

Can a lvl 5 character hope to kill the DB leader?

I am on mya 15th attempt to kill him and I am not getting anywhere. I do not know how powerful he is but I only just recently started the game and am not a very high level yet. Back in Seyda Neen I found out about the DB one evening when I went to sleep. I followed the story to find their lair in Mournhold and I am getting myself (and a merc) killed repeatedly.

Without too much of spoiler...did I just purse the DB too early?

I haven't even delivered my package to Cassius whatever his name is yet and I am wondering if I just set out to kill the DB too soon.

Biting off too much too soon?
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:13 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Possibly a little early. He's quite a tough nut to crack - his dagger is rather punishing even to high-level characters, and he can take quite a bit of damage before he goes down. I expect your conflict with the Dark Brotherhood will have made you quite a rich man, so there's really no dishonour in leaving him be for now - you can come back later when you're stronger, if you wish.

If you do want to try and take him out now, though, I offer the following words of advice:

Spoiler:
Don't get hit with that blade! Try to use the merc as a shield while you fight from long distance. Lots of Restore Health potions, the best you can find, will be useful. He can cast Bound Longbow and carries an infinite supply of nasty arrows, so don't expect to levitate away and be safe. His sword packs a nasty poison and paralysis enchantment, so cure poison and cure paralysis are necessary, and resist or absorb magic will help. I found that hitting him with a powerful bow slowed him down enough for me to keep him away from me, although I had to go hand-to-hand in the end.

And some technical information about him, if you're interested:

Spoiler:
Level 55. 402 hit points. Strength, intelligence, agility and speed are all at 100. Short blade and light armour at 100. Permament resist fire 75%

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:13 pm
czettler
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Took him out with the ~20th try...

I had some arrows that dispelled magic and I found that if I hit him he repeatedly cast a new spell as his first action. If I kept hitting him with my arrows, he kept casting spells on him self.

All the while, my merc was hacking at him and I was damaging him a little bit with the arrows.

It feels like a bit of a cheat approach but I am not going to sweat it now that I know he was lvl 55 and I was level 5.

I have to ask, why does the game give me such a difficult quest so early in the game? I assumed that I should pursue the Dark Brotherhood first because they were trying to kill me. I mean, who wouldn't pursue that first before pursuing a main story line quest.

Is there a lot of that in Morrowind? Having the opportunity to pursue quests that are way over my head but not knowing how difficult they are before I spend days trying to find out?
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:53 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Took him out with the ~20th try...

quote:
Originally posted by czettler
I had some arrows that dispelled magic and I found that if I hit him he repeatedly cast a new spell as his first action. If I kept hitting him with my arrows, he kept casting spells on him self.

Ah, heh, that'll be him trying to cast his Bound Longbow. If he really wants to cast it but you interrupt him each time...

quote:
I have to ask, why does the game give me such a difficult quest so early in the game? I assumed that I should pursue the Dark Brotherhood first because they were trying to kill me. I mean, who wouldn't pursue that first before pursuing a main story line quest.

Is there a lot of that in Morrowind? Having the opportunity to pursue quests that are way over my head but not knowing how difficult they are before I spend days trying to find out?

Well, no. That quest belongs to Tribunal, which was the first expansion for Morrowind. Tribunal was targetted at higher-level characters, and at the time it was released it was expected that everyone was running around with very powerful characters, looking for a new challenge. That doesn't hold now, of course, since people installing GOTY get Tribunal straight away with their new characters! So that first quest is a bit of an anomaly.

But rest assured, you've gone far enough in the quest to stop the assassins attacking you, and no other quest in the game will hunt you down in quite the same way.

An important thing to note is that some things in Morrowind will tailor themselves to your skill level (random creatures, treasure, some NPC equipment etc) but other things will not (NPCs, door lock levels, specifically placed creatures etc). If you get given a quest by someone, there's no reason to suppose it's exactly right for your skill level - some things will be too hard, some too easy. The easy quests are not a problem, but if a quest seems too hard, it probably is. Just come back later. There are so many things to do in Morrowind that you'll never run out of alternatives.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:27 am