View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ever play the Icewind Dale games?

Some samples of the female portraits in the game:

Icewind Dale was fairly successful despite the fact that the females had clothes.

Last edited by Val on Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:22 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

@ Dhruin - maybe no 'near' enough

@ Val, all but the first and last, are rather 'sexy' looking and 'comely' posed. But you're right, they're not scantily clad. But let's face it, as women we don't realy want to play Ursulla Ugly, do we?
(What's with the red noses Val? - is it cold?)

Lol, another edit. But I just remembered. Does anyone actualy play as a Dwarf? Just wondering.
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:29 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

My dad is 56 and still a pervert. He wears mirrored shades on the beach so he can stair without being harrassed for stairing.

He's fat, old, and harmless, but he loves his boobs. Not his boobs, which are also bigger than my wifes, but other girl's boobs.
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:54 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I guess the women just distract the orcs with their naked stomachs and then wack them.

Anyway, only men I ever see doing "sexy" poses are gay ones. Then you would be out of luck anyway. So just give it up
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:57 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

scantily clad women = outrageous case of sexism?

Actually, young male gamers demand more than that. Do you know that the nude plug-in is one of the popular download for Morrowind? And there is also nude "patch" for Gothic 1, and there's nice trick that undressing every women in Gothic 2?

Aribeth, yeah, she is a no-nonsense Paladin. But when NWN came out - there's a thread with 30 pages of discussion about her boobs, and tips on how to use NWN editing tool to sexually harasssing her.

Do you know how many male that really like playing beach Valleyball (in reality and virtual reality)?. Why we have game like Dead and Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball? It's for female gamers or male gamers? Perhaps it's not too difficult to guess if you check up the box-shot bellow:

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
My dad is 56 and still a pervert. He wears mirrored shades on the beach so he can stair without being harrassed for stairing.

He's fat, old, and harmless, but he loves his boobs. Not his boobs, which are also bigger than my wifes, but other girl's boobs.

LMAO......
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:32 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

OMG!!!!! You're serious!!! WTF is gaming coming to? My admiration for NWN, Gothic and MW just went thru the floor
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:41 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

It would be interesting to ask someone like Linda Currie (Wiz what she thinks about all this. I always liked those IWD portraits because they were feminine without being gross or exploitive. He's a fantastic artist.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:13 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
It would be interesting to ask someone like Linda Currie (Wiz what she thinks about all this. I always liked those IWD portraits because they were feminine without being gross or exploitive. He's a fantastic artist.

I completely agree with you, Corwin.

As to woman roleplaying an ugly dwarfette in PnP session just 2 months ago we had really nice and cute girl playing a female dwarf, with some physical defects, so to say. It was only fun. She was natural in this role, however, nobody tried to extrapolate an image of this dwarfette to her personally. She decided to give it a try exactly because she was bored of stereotypes.

As to cleavage / six pack dilemma, I am with Seth on this. With one minor ammendment - there are times that beg for a bottle of brandy and a all-night-long conversation. Persons with cleavage are welcome to take part It is just in this situation I'll be looking in my glass, at stars and on mental/psychological side of a cleavage-bearer, not on a cleavage itself

I knew about all this Morrowind/Gothic/NWN mods. They just don't make sense. They maybe fun for some guys to play with, but they ruin the essense of roleplaying. And moreover, no nude mod or other naked-lady pic can ever dream to come close to what I see when I look at my fiancee in reality from time to time

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:45 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

@ Stanthony - only from time to time huh? What's she like the other times?
I bet the guys playing with the bikini-clad volleyballers, could spend all day paying with their balls. (pun intended)
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:54 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Sherrin
@ Stanthony - only from time to time huh? What's she like the other times?

I though I didn't use the best wording. English is not my native language, so sometimes it's hard to express complex ideas I meant that she always looks great, but she isn't always naked Which would be a major distraction anyway

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:16 am
Managarm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
This was just so mid-numbing that I didn't even get around to playing the game.

Oh so you didn’t see the female bartender in the beginning? That was the most blatant pandering I’d ever seen, the first time I saw it I couldn’t stop laughing.
quote:
Originally posted by corwin
I'm waiting till they show a female warrior in fullplate armor.

I don’t think that would be anymore realistic at all. Yes a female warrior is going to be muscular, but a 120 pound (45kg?) woman doing continuous extremely stressful exercise like fighting while wearing 80 pound (about 37kg?) armor is no more realistic than a g-string.
quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
My dad is 56 and still a pervert...

My father is the same age (only one year older) and he is a far bigger horndog than he was at my age.
quote:
OMG!!!!! You're serious!!! WTF is gaming coming to? My admiration for NWN, Gothic and MW just went thru the floor

That has nothing to do with the game as developed, those are fan made mods.

Ok, now to play devils advocate. There is no sexism in most videogames, it is simple supply and demand. The most blatant exploiters are console games and action-RPGs, like BG: Dark Alliance and DoA Beach Volleyball, who’s target audience is more like 12-16. I’m sure that the makers of DoA had no intention of showing women as inferior to men, or that real women should be treated like the women in those games, I’m sure their intentions were simply to make a game that would make money, and they succeeded. Using these images is a business decision not a sexist one.

edit:Oops, thanks Sherrin. I guess I got a little too happy with the copy-paste.

Last edited by Managarm on Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:50 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Aahhh it's the mod makers that're the pervs then
Managarms' post was so good he posted it twice, posted it twice.
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:06 am
corwin

The bottom line then, is obvious. Sex sells and what the publishers want is money. Therefore, they prostitute themselves and I use the word deliberately, and correctly!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:43 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

DoA XBV is one of my favorite games ever. And I'm not amale. I just enjoy the fact that I needn't put in a single round of Beach Volleyball in the whole game if I don't want to... shopping for swimsuits, nail poilish and shoes and lying at the pool all day long is a very nice way of relaxing for me. Without spending real money, of course, other than what I spent on the game.

As for the general topic, actually I don't care much about how dressed females in RPGs are. I rarely play as a female character, anyway, especially not in iso games because I just don't enjoy looking at them, and I went around and undressed all the paladins in Gothic II . I'm probably just as sexist as your average guy. When I play as a guy I can look at in a CRPG (3rd person or iso in this case), I tend to run around as scantily clad as possible.

Overall, it is as corwin said - sex sells, and the target group for computer/video games are male kids.

(Besides, isn't paid work always a form of prostitution?)
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:42 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
@ Val, all but the first and last, are rather 'sexy' looking and 'comely' posed. But you're right, they're not scantily clad. But let's face it, as women we don't realy want to play Ursulla Ugly, do we?

Oh, I don't know. Sometimes it's fun to roleplay a female half-orc barbarian with all the charisma of a puddle of mud, but is strong enough to smack Mr. Handsome Paladin boy-toy over the head with a club and drag him to a cave somewhere.
Hmm... I think I got a new character idea to try out in a NWN multiplayer session.
quote:
@ (What's with the red noses Val? - is it cold?)

It's called Icewind Dale for a reason.
quote:
Lol, another edit. But I just remembered. Does anyone actualy play as a Dwarf? Just wondering.

Yeah. When I want to obliterate everything in my path.
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:52 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next