Divine Divinity demo - superb!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Divine Divinity demo - superb!

Hell, how many excellent RPGs will they release this spring? I got my hands on the Divine Divinity demo and it's VERY impressive. VERY.

For you in Germany - it's on the DVD from PC Games. 400 MB sweet detailed RPG stuff...
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:29 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Is there location to download it?
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:55 pm

it was supposed to be online May 3rd, wasn't it?
heh, i almost hope I won't get MW in time, so I can spend some time on the Divinity demo... but only almost.
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:07 pm

Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Damn, this is not good.

My bank manager is gonna have a heart attack...
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:08 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

It will be on the DVD of Gamestar and PC Games, both german magazines. A link to downlaod the demo will be supplied at the 3rd of may. Be aware however that the demo is something like 400MB in size
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:50 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I am sure if Rend got that excited after playing it, considering that he has already played Morrowind, then it is definately worth the download.
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:53 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

It's worth every byte of it
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:15 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I will download it on 3th. I just finished DS and really looking forward to it.
400 MB is not a problem.
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:19 pm

i got the demo (pcgames dvd) and i got to say that i wasnt very impressed...story is good, graphics are ok, but even in "easy" its too hard i think...when you have to go out of the village you are about lvl 1 or 2 but the orcs there are lvl 6 or something...and they nearly always attack in groups. So you die alot since you dont get the money (drops are very poor) to buy enough potions...when i ran out of potions i ignored the orcs and ran through the hordes of archers and whatever to the point i had to run 8to some commander) and suddenly the demo was over...after 2-3 hours...did i do anything wrong?
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:02 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Can't really tell if you did something wrong. It is said that there's 7-8 hours of playing in the demo - so you probably missed a lot of quests in the village.

The reason why I am rather impressed with the demo is because the game world is really interactive, and you can see that there is great potential in the game. You are right, graphics aren't the strong part of Divine Divinity, but there should be lots of depth in the game.

We will certainly come up with a demo review, and Garrett will do that one .
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:28 am
mtkafka
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh yay... ANOTHER good game to buy. Do you know, that by the end of this year I will be broke? MW, IWD2, NWN, AF, UT2, GTA3, JK2. DX2, Thief 3 etc etc and now Divine Divinity.

I wish I won the lottery...

etc
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:44 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Level 1 or 2????
You can go anywhere you want in principle, but you should be at least level 5 or 6 before you wander out. There are several quests there to do and did you go through the catacombs?
If not then you missed a lot.
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:56 am
lar2

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Can't really tell if you did something wrong. It is said that there's 7-8 hours of playing in the demo - so you probably missed a lot of quests in the village.

The reason why I am rather impressed with the demo is because the game world is really interactive, and you can see that there is great potential in the game. You are right, graphics aren't the strong part of Divine Divinity, but there should be lots of depth in the game.

We will certainly come up with a demo review, and Garrett will do that one .

Hmm...typical case of being used to too much linearity In general, in Divinity you'll find quite a lot of situations where you'll say "oh oh, better come back later here". A good rule of thumb here is "If I'm getting bashed to pieces, I'm probably not supposed to come here just yet" (though in the same breath I have to admit that I did see a level 2 character kill all of the orcs using some cunning trickery). Nevertheless, you should unfreeze the elf, listen to what he has to say, and then unlock the gateway to the catacombs. That ought to open up quite a big area for you (About 5 levels of dungeons). Dealing with the orcs before you are level 6 or so is not easy, and you can get up to level 9 or so before you actually need to venture forth. If I'm not mistaking, you can easily get up to level 3/4 or so without fighting by just doing stuff in the village.

Lar
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:54 am

ok now i know...i just missed the catacombs
(although i dont remember that anyone said "hey go to the catacombs")
perhaps i should read all the dialogues and explore everything next time...
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:55 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Lar, good to see you here :-)

I think the discussion about the demo will catch up after the next weekend when the demo will be downloadable as well.

I think it is really hidden in PC Games - they should at least have given you a page with some explanations for the demo. There are so many hidden things in there which you don't get unless someone tells you - like you are able to move things to find things hidden behind them and stuff like that.

Anyhow - if the real game is delivering what the demo promises, this is an excellent RPG that will keep me busy for quite some time. I really like the humor in the dialogues, btw, and the voice acting is excellent
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:26 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next