Mythology, Artifacts and Communication
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Mythology, Artifacts and Communication

Should I be spending skill points on these?

I sort of feel like I'm playing catch up already with one character, my bard who I was neglecting in locks and traps (I have no rogue) and I have a Psi who has pretty high Sense so I keep feeling like I should spend points in these three skills. Is that wrong? Should I just let them go up on their own?

Thanks.
Post Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:07 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Unless you have some specific desire, those three skills should be fine on their own.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:26 pm
otter
One of Us

Early in the game, when nobody knows what anything is, i like to use a few points in Art's and Myth'y, up to around 15.
You can intentionally develop ("let your characters practise") Art's in a nice symbiosis with casters practising certain spells by using Mana Stones to recharge SP. The pain about Mana Stones is they only hold 3 charges, and if you use all 3, they vanish. If you do this near most Merchants, just sell them with 1 charge and buy them right back with 3. You can also get one of the Artifacts that casts Charm and use it under "magic" in the NPC interaction screen, sell it depleted and buy it back to repeat.
There are places where you can get your Myth'y skill increased just by walking around the unknown, friendly groups, like the Patrols in A-Town, or the Trynnies.
Comms you can help develop by reloading until the designated char's Comms skill goes up upon your first encounter with a new NPC.
Artifacts skill is indeed important if you are mixing potions for bux, you get a tenth the price for unidentified stuff. (or you'll have a lot of practise for your ID caster, and use that Mana Stone...)
Post Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:56 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Like Dteowner, my answer is : No. Your precious skill point should never be wasted on those secondary skills, as they will develop, by them self, in a pace you need them.
There is no bigger deal in not knowing your enemy in the beginning (Mythology), you will eventually learn your enemies by sight and hitpoints.
The difference in better "communication" skills are almost non-existing, the most important is that you find the correct subjects to ask about!
The artifact skill will early on be unnecessary to the "identify spell".
"Mind read" and "Charm" spell will make your "communication skills" unnecessary.
Post Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:36 am