View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > RPGDot

Author Thread
knight37
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

RPG of the Year?

These were the "staff" choices for RPG of the year:

With the exception of the first place, the results of the team votes are different.
1 Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 21.0%
2 Thief: Deadly Shadows 19.8%
3 Pirates! 13.6%
4 Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark 9.9%
5 Kult: Heretic Kingdoms 8.6%

Are you guys smokin' crack? Do you not even know what an RPG is?

The 2nd and 3rd place games are NOT RPGs. Sorry.

No wonder RPGs are a dying breed. Even the RPG sites don't have a clue.
Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:18 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

We have always covered games that we think are of broader interest to our readers -- or simply because we want to -- and we probably always will. If it's in our database, it gets included in our awards. Unless the crack makes us forget, of course.
Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:05 pm
knight37
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't mind you covering games that aren't RPGs. But they shouldn't be contenders for RPG of the year. Even if it's a sucky year for RPGs like 2004 was.

BY THE WAY!!!!

Congrats on getting slasdotted!!
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:50 am
Dhruin

Well, I don't think we plan to change the way it works, so you'll just have to raise it again next year.

Zonk used to write here before going to Slashdot, so he tends to keep track of us.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:53 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
We have always covered games that we think are of broader interest to our readers -- or simply because we want to -- and we probably always will. If it's in our database, it gets included in our awards. Unless the crack makes us forget, of course.
But in that case - why wasn't HL2 your RPG of the year? Because you had a 'non RPG' section. And Pirates showed up in those results ... and belonged there with the FPS / Action / Driving / Strategy games you had listed. I know a game like Thief is more difficult ... it got overlooked because no one knew where to categorize it. But that doesn't make it an RPG, and you end up with a surprisingly decent game like Kult getting buried because ot it.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:49 pm
Dhruin

After a short internal discussion some time ago, we decided add Pirates! to our database and cover it as we do all the games in our database. In other words, some Editors decided it had enough RPG elements and/or was of enough interest to our audience to cover it just like we might Baldur's Gate. You may disagree, as always happens whenever these types of games come up but that's the decision we made.

The "RPG of the Year" includes all the games we cover. You might argue we should call it "Game of the Year that has Sufficient RPG Elements for RPGDot to Cover or the Editors Just Happen to Like It" but that seems a little difficult to communicate.

We don't cover HL2 - it isn't in our database - hence, it doesn't get included.

As I said, you may argue the inclusion of Pirates! or even others - the funny thing is, the disagreement from many readers is directly proportional to the interest in the game. Thief simply isn't an RPG in any real form...but I'm confident our readers (on the whole) like the series being covered (I'd be happy to start the poll, if you disagree). So, that's at least one non-RPG that readers are happy to say is "sort of RPG-ish, kinda..." enough to want us to cover.

HoMM is a strategy game to me, as is Age of Magic, Disciples et al...but many readers like it covered.

You get the idea. It's also awfully hard to categorise some games - is Spellforce an RPG or Strategy game? Knightshift? Where is the line?

So, from our point of view, we either cover it -- or we don't.

On Kult (we're still talking about the staff awards, right?), Pirates has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure Corwin and possibly Kristophe played it, other than myself, so the votes were limited. Remember, it hasn't been fully released in the US yet and it won't get a lot of publicity, so it just won't gather a whole lot of votes no matter what. I'm a big fan of Kult and maintain contact with 3D People, so I'd love to see Kult win...but it won't and that has nothing to do with our categories.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:21 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

To confirm what Dhruin said about Kult. Yes, I have played it and loved it. However, it has not been released in Australia and likely won't be. I ordered mine from overseas and payed for the privilege, though I don't regret that. I love games from small developers and do all I can to support and encourage them, but without all the marketing drive of the larger companies, they are unlikely to win too many awards!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:05 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
On Kult (we're still talking about the staff awards, right?), Pirates has nothing to do with it. ... I'm a big fan of Kult and maintain contact with 3D People, so I'd love to see Kult win...but it won't and that has nothing to do with our categories.
I understand the other stuff you mentioned about rationale for including games - that is always a tough choice.

As for Kult - I didn't think of it in terms of 'winning GOTY', but rather the fact that it is a true RPG that ended up in 5th place behind two clear non-RPG games that are just 'in the database', and I was just saying that was an unfortunate consequence.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:13 am
Dhruin

^Yes, I can understand that...perhaps it is time to revisit the internal discussion on how we categorise games - at least in the Awards circumstances. Whether an internal concensus can be reached and implemented is another matter.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:20 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

My favorite was Vampire: Bloodlines. Unfortunately the company that made it is now defunct. It seems Interplay ran another developer into the ground.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:11 am
rrreese
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
My favorite was Vampire: Bloodlines.

Yeh, Bloodlines was a solid game. The loss of both Troika and Black Isle has been a real tragedy.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:13 am
adamskydancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anyway there're over too many MMORPG company competing recently...that's why some of them died in the battle, just like in the game.
I feel sorry for those excellent game Co. ,such as Bloodline's co., but that's the way it go.
Competition is keen in many area. We have to face the realist.
It's also a good way to make the game market selection, all survivors are classic games for us.
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:31 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

My personal vote for best RPG 2005 goes to *drumroll* *some more drumroll*

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

honorific speech:

I don't play MMORPG's so my RPG of the year must be a single player RPG.
i have never seen such vivid and interesting (and sexy) characters in a RPG like in this one and alone for that it deserves RPG of the year. Combat wasn't that terrible like some people think it was - at least for me it was no prob.

Cheers...
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:46 pm