RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Ngetal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Aaargh! Several questions/comments

Hi all!

Have a few questions/comments....

1. I was using the no cd (safedisk) .exe when I installed the patch. Now, my game is back to running slow and stuttering like mad. Any suggestions?

2. Has anyone noticed that the more you play, the more cumulative the 'slowies' and 'stutteries' are?

3. I have a really wierd thing happening with my armour. When anything without a weapon hits me, my armour 'health' is not affected. It is only affected when an NPC or Creature has a weapon and hits me with it. Am I the only one this is affecting/occuring for??

Here are my stats:

Pentium 4, 1.5 Ghz
256 Mb memory
Nvida TNT card

I have also been running the following mods:

The official patch
Silent Character Generation
House Waargh (the houseboat/house mod)
Potion Icons
Entertainers
The Mega Morrowind part: MM_Move (speeds up walking/running)

I have made the following changes to my .ini file:

Max FPS=240 to Max FPS=60

Exterior Cell Buffer=32

Changed to

Exterior Cell Buffer=45

UseQuadratic=0
QuadraticMethod=2
QuadraticValue=16.0
QuadraticRadiusMult=1.0

Changed To

UseQuadratic=1
QuadraticMethod=2
QuadraticValue=16.0
QuadraticRadiusMult=4.0

And that's it. Help??! And thanks in advance. This forum ROCKS!
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:27 pm
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

hmmm...1-if the game is requiring the Cd, then all you gotta do is redo the nocd procedure and it should have your framerates back up to where they were.
2-thats the memory leak everyone's hating, including me, bro. there's nothing I've done insofar that has remedied that glitch.
3-whats so bad about that? you might try using different armor just to check to see if it happens still...once you've done that and it still happens, i dont know then, thats weird. anybody?
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:11 pm
Ngetal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the reply.

As far as the nocd 'patch', you actually replace the morrowind.exe with the nocd's morrowind.exe. So, I imagine that the patch won't be active still if I do that. Sigh. Perhaps I am confused.

I thought they were going (have) to fix the memory leak with this patch. There was *something* about a memory leak in the readme file, but I don't remember what it was.

I *have* tried *every* type of armor I could find, every creature I could find, no plugins, all plugins, the old morrowind etc. in every combination, and it *still* does that...no damage unless I am hit with a weapon. Weird thing though, my weapon does get damaged, but not my armor. I just feel like I am 'cheating', that's what's so bad about it....sigh!!

thanks again
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:32 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

If I understand correctly as to the armor-thingie: Try hit on a piece of iron or so with your bare fist. Hit it hard. Go on, give it a try. Good! did that hurt? Yes I know. Put some ice on your hand, and then take a look at the iron-piece. Any marks? Excpet your blood of course? No? Not a single mark? Strange..... Ok, lets do another test: Some magics! Throw some ice at the same piece of iron. Any marks? Some waterdrops? Well, that will rust in a couple of years. Try electricity. Ta a cable, plug it in the wall, and touch the ironpiece with the two wires sticking out. Fun heh? Your house went black? Strange, get some matches and we´ll try the last test; Fire!!! Burn that damn piece of iron! BURN IT!!! WITH THE MATCH!!! Anything? Nope? Hmm.... Okay, get out in the garage and get your fathers axe. hit that f*cking iron! Hit it hard! Remember it hurt you!!! Did your axe leave a mark? It did!?!!?!? Well, that´s just strange...

CrossTopicBaner
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:34 pm
D.J.
Village Leader
Village Leader

Pinnen: LOL!!!!
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:44 pm
Ngetal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Pinnen: LMAO

Okay, okay...I get it!

However, it seems that if chitin is hit by say...a Kagouti horn, that there should be *some* damage...those Kagouti hit hard..ouch!!

Anyway, thanks for the laugh, and the thoughts. BTW, the power company is pissssed at me for blacking out the entire west side of my city!!
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:11 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Always glad to be of assistance!

CrossTopicBaner
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:13 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Re: Aaargh! Several questions/comments

quote:
Originally posted by Ngetal

2. Has anyone noticed that the more you play, the more cumulative the 'slowies' and 'stutteries' are?

I'm not sure but was this the one that was linked to your DirectX Sound Hardware acceleration. I found that by moving the slider to "Off" it cleared up my "Memory leak" problems. Not sure if this is the same as the problem you have. I think they included this option in the patch where you can turn the sound from Hardware acceleration to Software Acceleration. Again Sorry if this is of no use but thought I'd chuck it into the mix for good measure
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:50 am
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Pinnen, I dunno about that :)
A bull runs headlong into that chunk of iron (which now has the comparitive strength of tinfoil), the bull might be knocked for 10, but that iron is now going to be shaped like modern art.

I'd try the electricity thing, but the power company is already watching me closely. 6 computers, and attachments, can draw a surprising amount of power.

As for "The Patch" vs "NoCD", I installed the nocd first, then patched it. I was extremely surprised to find out that it worked perfectly. I later found out that the patch has nocd built into it now (in a way), so maybe that was it.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:19 am
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

And then came the gamer. Sinned by expecting to much. Was cast into the world of bugs. Now all gamers must suffer with bugs because of one sinner.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:05 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

I herad there was a feature missig in directX 8.1, where it constantly where debugging the sound, draining cpu-power. However, I guess this it what you´re talking about allready... But somewhere on the dark corners of the Net i found somekind of DirectX control-applet allowing you to turn the debugging of. Helped for me. If it wasn´t that well-known placebo-effect...

CrossTopicBaner
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:11 pm
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Placebos are placebos for the ppl.
sorry pinnen :)
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:28 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Aha. So that means I´m one of the ppl?