More Gothic 3 Info
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

More Gothic 3 Info

... in this WoG Q&A with Kai Rosenkrantz.

Gameplay:

- it's not decided yet whether the player can use horses to travel faster
- definitely bigger than Gothic 2 in terms of world size
- the most basic parts of the stat system of G1&2 will be used again in G3, however, lots of other elements will be tweaked/changed (but stat hunt will not be the main focus of the game - similar to G1&2)
- the main character will not be completely weak at the beginning, but certainly not a undefeatable super hero either
- they're thinking about implementing difficulty levels for those who found G2/NotR to easy/difficult, currently pondering concepts how it could be done in the game
- they're going to work out more differences between the weapons (so that it actually makes a difference whether you're swinging a mace or s sword). The efficiency of a weapon may depend on the context or other conditions.

Engine

- most part developed by PB themselves
- it doesn't matter which engine they'd up with, you wouldn't be able to recognize it anyway due to the massive tweak of PB
- the biggest chunk of the engine was created by PB, but they licensed some "components"

Story

***** HERE THERE BE SPOILERS *****

- focus of the story among other things:
- the orc invasion
- Xardas (who may have held back information in G2)
- motivations of the Gods and why they're waging war
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:07 pm
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I don't know what to think about the fact that you already have a reputation(save us O great hero of Khorinis) and decent fighting prowess right from start of the game. I actually liked starting as a weak nobody.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:05 pm
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Agreed, it made the trip to power all the more fullfilling. I can't say I care for this idea.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:25 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Well it wouldn't make sense for you to be a weak nobody at the beginning of Gothic 3. I mean, how would you forget all you learned? Did your ship crash at sea and you forgot everything? That's a pretty lame excuse to start you off as a level 0 character and it would piss me and the majority of Gothic fans off.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:16 am
kazuma
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i agree i liked also that you start as a nobody that can barly kill a bug that makes your journy much more cool like die hard and leathel weapon (movies)the story start when your a no good and end up being hero of the day
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:27 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I agree with the fact that it will be a mistake to not ake you the weak sucker again and the complete stranger because that was what G2 was missing against g1: you wre nobody without a real idea to what to do.
It could easily be done if they use the ship: crashed and you end up floating on a piece of wood for a long time, so weakened and lost all your friends an stuff because you put the in the chest on the end of G2. Maybe a little amnesia just to make it a bit more interesting too
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:05 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Come On

It makes me happy to see that a company finally allows the hero to start out with some power, it's just stupid that they should be really weak each time and lose their memory when a new game starts. Shipwreck crash... yeah right, what about Gothic 4? a collapsed mine, and again he forgets everything and become really weak... and so on.

Ofcourse there's a problem with him remmembering everything considering you can play through Gothic 1/2 in many diffrent ways and theirs no way PB will know how you did play through it unless you import save games, which would be way too complicated. There's still alot of things that has to happen though.

No let the guy start with some power, but with a somewhat clouded memory.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:32 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I agreed that the char started out as a weak sucker in G1. I agreed that the char started out as a weak sucker again in G2, it was silly in a way, but a bit explained. Though, no one would forget everything they ever knew, totally, even after lying 3 weeks in some pile of rocks. Weakened, temporarily, sure, but some recuperation time and such would put the person back on track fast. But, as I said, I still agreed with it.

But, heck no, I will not agree to it that the char would start G3 yet again as a weak sucker. That "avenue" has been exploited and used enough already. Question is, though, in what state he will then start G3. Maybe they implement some char import utility to G3, which would allow to get the char out of the last savegame of G2 (you all DID save the game right before telling to the captain to leave, right?), which of course would mean that G3 would have to be significally higher level game then G1 and G2 combined. We'll see.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:50 am
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I wouldn't mind him to be a weak loser once again. Probably he will be weaker than in the end of Gothic2 anyway. It's unrealistic sure... so what Gothic isn't explicit about realism. At the beginning of Gothic 1 you didn't even know how to hold a sword but you became a demigod in a matter of days. Hardly realistic. Explain it with a curse of the gods or whatever. They could even make some fun about it in the game with some old friends teasing our hero's inability to keep his power.

edit\
that remembers me of the Ultima series which pulled this stunt every part and no one minded.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:27 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I don't think the developers meant for you to start off as a superhero, just not as a total n00b like in the first two sequels... That isn't such a bad idea, when you come to think of it, as it releaves us from some frustration and opens up a whole new idea of a character with lots of prepositions to begin with, but only when he advances levels will he perfect his skills. If you ask me, this is much better than a weekling character becoming a wunderkid in a timeframe of two weeks. *g*
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:40 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

okay maybe not back to the weakling but especially not the super hero you are at the end of G2. And you have to be the stranger once again, ending up in a place with maybe complete new rules, nothing like khorihinis and the penal colony. So that you got the feeling again of being in a strange world were you have to be carefull. and like the only quest you start with is looking your friends, and someone tells you there are some newcomers in the city. So you first have to find the city and find a way in. so it's not like in G2 with the complete head quest revealed already
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:45 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i am sure they will leave u on the new world as a stranger this time cos no one pushes u to the main quest again. you see after G2 ended there was the end no one told u about some new quest so i think it will be a little bit more like G1 again ehe . I wouldent mind tho if the hero is weak again tho i would mind if i kill every beast with one sword swing that would be really not cool
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:14 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Check out the picture that's was with the interview
http://www.worldofgothic.de/gothic2/images/Nordmann_style.jpg

It's gonna be huge if you ask me
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:42 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

wow awsome armor. I want that one
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:19 pm
The Prefect
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Maybe the game starts off where the hero is telling everyone in a bar that he IS the chosen of innos. And he bothers everyone, wanting free beers. After a while you see someone approaching him, a fierce nordmarian, and that man gives the hero a punch to the face, telling him to shut up.

Then you realize that every one in khorinis and the valley of mines were wussys compared to the nordmer folk. So your demigod status on khorinis is actually a normal status on nordmer.

I always found that the hero in the total end movie on the ship was a little bit greedy and egocentric. It would be fun if someone would put his feet back on the ground.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:58 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next