The Literary Achievement of Morrowind @ GwJ
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

The Literary Achievement of Morrowind @ GwJ

Gamers with Jobs has an interesting piece titled <a href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/22717" target="_blank">The Literary Achievement of Morrowind</a>, which discusses the various texts in Morrowind and what their presence says about gaming. I simultaneously agreed with some parts and disagreed with others - here's a snip:<blockquote><em>Morrowind and the other games of the Elder Scrolls series reject the increasingly common notion that playing games and reading text are mutually exclusive activities. The books in Morrowind would not be so grand on their own, and neither would the game divorced of its books. Together, though, they ensure Morrowind's status as one of the most important games ever made. It reaches out to its players in a way that few games do, and in ways that non-games media cannot, since they cannot produce in their audiences anything at all like the senses of exploration and arborescence that permeate Morrowind. What Planescape: Torment did for the status of plot in games, Morrowind accomplished for setting.</em></blockquote>
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:09 pm
ShadowMoses
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
What Planescape: Torment did for the status of plot in games, Morrowind accomplished for setting.

I never thought i'd hear those two games mentioned in the same sentence!

-=:ASHES:=- || -=:Xenus-hq:=-
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:10 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

The literature in Morrowind is one of the reasons I've been such a fan of it for so long, I really like the books, and actually want to sit down and read them all at one time one of these days.

Come to think of it tho, the vast literature a valid point I could have used in defense of it when it is being assailed by the "MW Sucks" crowd. Show me another game that has the sheer volume of books that entertain and inform one about a game world as much as Morrowind, I cant think of one. Here's my threads of The Homilies of Blessed Almalexia and The 36 Lessons of Vivec
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:24 pm
Ectoterrestrial

developement diary as polythiestic fiction

My brother and I spent a month of so analyzing the literature. It has a large pantheon, with the Underking of the Empires being the most interesting element, to me.

Anyways, In the end, my brother found an interview where one of the games author's explains it.

For example:

The two primeval elements in The Elder Scrolls are scripted content and fractal content. There were great debates amongst the developers as to which should take priority. Much of the early pantheonic fiction of Morrowind discusses the supremacy of fractal in Arena, its balance in Daggerfall, and the inclusion of more scripting in Morrowind. These elements battle each other as order and chaos, respectively. And have pantheons of developers and other who participate in the debate.

There are also other developement team philosophies and debates embedded into the literature. But I'll leave those for you to discover.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:03 am