Suggestions/reviews?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Adventure Games

Author Thread
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Suggestions/reviews?

Has anybody played any recently? Do you have any recommendations? Suggestions? Criticisms?

The last two major adventure games I've played were The Longest Journey and Syberia.

TLJ was cool, but there were clear plot gaps I didn't like. I'd give it 4/5. If you like adventure games, it's worth the money.

Syberia was exceptional. 4.5/5 only because there were couple of puzzles that I couldn't get over even with pixel hunting (but they ended up being pixel hunting problems none-the-less). The story was awsome. The presentation amazing. And the graphics were beyond belief. A true gem when it comes to adventure games.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:04 pm
aiaen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Try freelancer fun and you get shoot alot of things but you will have to order it on line
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:15 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The Syberia 2 demo was released recently. I've been planning to play it, but I just haven't had the time recently.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:37 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Is there a sequel to Longest Journey on the way too?

I wonder, how broad are we being when deciding which games to discuss here? Would games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill be considered adventure games? Of that ilk, I would recommend Headhunter (Dreamcast, PS2) and Eternal Darkness (Gamecube) to anyone interested in that type of game. For those who don't know, Headhunter is a sci-fi action/adventure with some complex (but rewarding) controls, which borrows heavily from many games but gets away with it by being really good; and Eternal Darkness is very much in the Resident Evil vein with a Lovecraftian horror angle - much, much better than the RE games, IMO, an excellent, intelligent but underrated game - just a shame it's not available on more platforms (I'm sure it would find an appreciative audience on PC - wait for the Gamecube emulators, maybe? ).

And how about text-based adventures? Now known as Interactive Fiction, and generally more concerned with story than puzzle-solving - some great titles available for free, like Adam Cadre's "Photopia" and "Shrapnel," and Andrew Plotkin's "Spider and Web."
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:35 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Latest update on the Longest Journey sequel.
Looks like we have a long wait.

Anyone tried Broken Sword yet? If so, how is it?
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:26 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I picked up Siberia from the store today. I don't know why exactly. I just did it.

I usually suck at solving puzzles because I am too stupid. I remember back in junior high when I played king's quest and leisure suit larry. I always get stuck early in the game and had to stop playing because there was no internet or forums back then for help. (Man! I feel so old now. I will probably kill myself the day I turn 30)

If I get stuck easily again or fail to solve easy puzzles, I will have to stop playing adventure games for good.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:22 am
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...

Are we talking strictly PC, or are you willing to entertain console titles as well?
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:12 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Joeman
Tell us how it goes!

@Secret Agent Lawanda
Consoles? What's that? Something you eat?
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:48 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda

hardy-har-har :p
Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:43 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I wouldn't see any logic in ruling out console games. If it's an adventure game, what does the platform matter? And while we're on the subject of console adventure games, I'd like to recommend Eternal Darkness... oh wait, I think I metioned it once or twice already
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:31 am
ministry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

dont hate consoles, i don't know if you'd class 'beyond good and evil' (xbox) as an adventure, but it a fantastic game, i cant turn it off. though it does loosly resemble pokemon snap it has a meaty well thought out gameplan and story, and supurb graphics. don't pass it up, it's only $50 AU!!!
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:18 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

@ministry, I agree, I have it on PC (although I haven't played it much as my old PC didn't really do it justice - must assemble my new parts!)
It's a superb game, extremely well-made, it's a crying shame it was so badly overlooked in the christmas sales. Definitely one of the best games (if not the best) released in that period.
I think it'd be borderline whether to call it an "adventure" game or not. It's got quite a mix of genres, and structurally I find it quite similar to the Zelda games. If this site is to concentrate on action-light titles, I can see why BG&E might not be appropriate.

@Val, sorry I have played Broken Sword 3 but totally forgot to respond. Don't know if you've checked it out yet, but here's my 2 pence worth: I really liked it at first, kinda got sick towards the end. Production values are great (although the voice acting is, as always, super-cheesy), the new control method is superb (I played on PC with a gamepad, not sure what it's like on keys - no mouse!), and it's all pretty slick.

But I didn't find a great deal of puzzles that I could describe as really satisfying, and it's full of irritating little niggles that IMO are far more important issues than production values and polish. For example - lots of long-winded dialogue while nothing happens onscreen (same as the previous games - not as long, but still the same problem); verbal responses to every in-game action (during which, control is robbed from the player) that are frequently far too long and unskippable (eg: in early levels, every single door in every scene can be interacted with, even though only 3 or 4 will be useful - try a "decorative" door, and you have to listen to something like "the door was locked - I couldn't open it," delivered slowly, with pauses fore and aft, before you regain control every single time, when a simple "locked!" with no loss of control would have done just fine. Soon becomes infuriating); story and set-pieces that get less convincing as the game progresses.

That kind of thing. They concentrated on high goals like moving the adventure game into the 21st century, and on the whole did a really good job, but didn't give anywhere near enough thought to the basics IMO. Worth playing, but in the end I felt the bad points outweighed the good.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:35 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Thanks, I guess it's a buy from the bargin bin one then.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:26 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Well here is a list of my favorite "Adventure" games. These adhere to the old-school leanings I think the original poster wants.

Loom(PC) - killer game by Lucas Arts. It was all about weaving magic through music.

Shadowgate(NES). This is an awesome console adventure game!!! There are no action or fighting elements. All 2-d art with puzzle-solving.

Snatcher(PC-Japan, Sega-CD in America). This is a cyberpunk adventure influenced by Blade Runner. It looks like a manga-comic, is 2D, and has voice-acting for all text. One of the best games I have EVER played!!!

Blade Runner(PC) This is the newest "Adventure" game that I have played. It came out in 1999. It is 2d, has lots of cut-scenes, little fighting, and you get to run voight-komf tests on "skin-jobs aka replicants". Also, love this game as I am a cyberpunk freak.

Shannara(PC) Since I am a Terry Brooks fan I had to buy this game. This is definitely a good-ol point & click adventure. Definitely one of my faves. I love the 2d art that resembles Keith Parkensens novel covers for the Shannara series of novels.

I have also played many of the King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, and Monkey Island games. Never played Leisure Suit larry.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:28 am
Pharazon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is there a reason for why nobody has mentioned "Grim Fandango"?
i look at it as one of the best adventure games ever made,
and it's also quite new.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:02 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next