Usergroups
what tom thought about MW
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My copy of MW is perfectly legal (came with a t-shirt at that because it was a pre-order ), but since I'm still playing with my first character I never even tried to create a custom class.

If you want NPCs like Charlie described (with free-form conversation and all), you might try MMORPGs .
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:03 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz

If you want NPCs like Charlie described (with free-form conversation and all), you might try MMORPGs .

YOOOOO DOOD WUT DA SWORD YA GOT????????????
Uh, dunno stats, lemme ch3ck, ok????
LOLOLOLOL NOOB!!!!!!1111 wut da f4gging n4me?????
Eh, Total Carnage sword of total ownage+4...........
ROFLMAO!!!!111 WUT A G4Y 4SS W34P0N!!!!!!
joo suc|<, me 1337. wunna du3l???????

Hmm, no thanks
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:14 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hey, it IS freeform conversation, and the 'NPCs' will remember you .

But that's the exact reason why I usually don't play on the net. I'd rather have scripted conversations. If MP, then LAN only - if you don't like somebody's gaming attitude, you can go over to the guy and tell him in person.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:31 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lol

quote:
Hey, it IS freeform conversation, and the 'NPCs' will remember you

Fantastic! How very true. That is the reason I gave up playing network games outside of a LAN also. I realised that about 90% of the people you meet online are scum, pure and simple. This great communications medium opened up, and I suddenly realised that I really didn't want any contact with most of the people I met, outside of throwing a few rockets at them.

Chat channels, when properly used, can be interesting and useful, even fun to participate in. However, most of the traffic is rendered in horrible ASCII parodies of, well, ASCII, vulgarities constitute about 50% of the average phrase, and egos are inflated so totally out of proportion that people just can't help being scum.

Bulletin Boards, however, force you to think before you post. Most people don't behave rudely if they consider what they are about to say for half a minute or so. Aside from that, the Almighty Moderators exist to smack down anyone who steps out of line. Perfect.

But, to get back on topic...

Yep, naming character classes works for me (my current character is a Hunter). You can also edit the class' description (and I do!) If you really want to (at least on PC) you can edit the level-up messages - they're all stored in the Morrowind.ini file. I haven't personally noticed not being able to edit the character class name, maybe you're trying in the wrong window? When you create a custom class and get to select your skills etc, click the end of the class name at the top of the screen and backspace to delete it, then type what you wish.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:12 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Maybe I was clicking in the middle of "adventurer" instead of right at the end. I'll have to tinker, since it seems like I've been stupid.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:45 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
I'll have to tinker

Unleash the engineer in you to roam free, dteowner.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:56 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Maybe, maybe not

Dunno - give it another try. If it doesn't work...

I don't expect you actually *have* to click at the end of the name. I've used too many bad UIs on rather flakey platforms in my time, which has made me a very defensive computer user - I've evolved my own rules for using computers in general, that means I tend to have fewer problems than other people. A bit weird I know, but it Works For Me!
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:08 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

On naming a custom class: I had this problem at first too. In fact you DON'T have to click in the textbox -- you can just start typing. The problem is there's no visual indication that the textbox has focus -- no blinking cursor, for instance -- so it's easy to conclude that it doesn't. (Frankly I don't understand why games in general don't follow standard interface conventions when it comes to things like menus and dialog boxes -- gameplay is another matter, of course -- but that's another rant.)

On NPCs remembering you: actually, for the most part, they do. There's quite a complex system, sensitive among other things to guild membership, legal status, dress, and reputation; and it affects many things about NPC behavior, including greetings, facial expressions, dialog options, and how they address you in dialog. Unfortunately there's also a bug where NPCs will sometimes "forget" you when you go up in rank in their organization -- but for the most part this works pretty well.

I wasn't really aware of how well it works until I started my second game and joined a different House, and was surprised to find NPCs who had previously been my best buddies being notably cold and distant -- and vice versa. The atmosphere in particular towns was completely different.

There's group AI for humans too: they'll call for a guard or attack depending on their "alarm level" which is sensitive to a number of factors. Pity we don't see this for non-human enemies -- which seem to simply attack regardless of what else is going on.

Since this is a gamewide system, and not for the most part tailored on an NPC-by-NPC basis (though that's perfectly possible and does happen in some cases), it does lead to the feeling that NPCs are less "individual" than they might be. But that's not because there isn't a sophisticated recognition system in place -- just the opposite.

In short, the MW engine is capable of some very sophisticated behaviors. The game could probably have been better if the capabilities had been adapted to individuals to a greater extent; but the focus of the developers was on scale, rather than individuality. In my opinion that was the right choice; there are plenty of tiny, very detailed games out there, but only one Morrowind. Yes, I eventually got bored of MW too; but that was after about six months of intense playing, modding, and more playing, which is about 5.5 months longer than any other RPG has ever held my attention, so I'm not complaining. And, with the large and highly polished mods that are just now starting to come out, there may be another six months in there.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:42 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, it held my attention for 7 months just like Daggerfall did. Just that DF might have lasted longer had I been able to finish it.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:41 pm
Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Custom Classes

Yeah, naming new classes had me fooled at first - I even used the editor to make my own classes so they appeared in the class choice list - lol. I felt really stupid when I found that all I had to do was type
The same window also has popups that explain exactly what choosing preferred stats and a specialization does.
If you don't like the AI then check out some plugins. Wakim's Improvements. LDone's Thief Improvements, Adventurers etc. are awesome. The current npcreplace pluging replaces *all* of the heads for Breton (m/f), Imperial (m/f), Nord (f) and 5 of the Dunmer male heads. It looks amazing. Wakim's spell balancing turns spellcasting monsters into killers. His Faction plugin makes anyone in a guild refuse to deal with you, so no teleporting unless you're in the mage guild! I've spent the last week just experimentling with plugins to balance the game the way that I want it. There seem to be some fanboys that believe Bethesda are gods and their work is sacred, but if you followed the thread on the the official ES MW plugins forum that dissected the scripts and settings, you'd see just how silly a lot of the design is.
The great thing about it is, bethesda gave us an awesome game world that we can tinker with to suit our tastes.
Post Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:52 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2