Voice acting a dissapointement...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
darth
Village Leader
Village Leader

Voice acting a dissapointement...

The game is great in many respects, it expands a lot on Gothic 1, the engine is far superior as well but one of the greatest features of G1 was the amazing voice acting. Not the case here.

In G2 the voice acting is awful. At first I was a little dissapointed that almost everyone sounded like a retarded inbred redneck farmer, even some of the females. Is Khorinis the lost island of retarded inbred redneck farmers? I would have preferd a bunch of germans doing the voices with german accents then this. Even the colored NPC's sound like they are African Americans from the southern US, it kinda takes away from the whole "FANTASY" Setting you know? Next thing you know Peck will say "Whats the Hizzy with the Shizzy Yo?"

Well I got somewhat used to it. Then came the voice of Xardas, this is one of the better voice actors but he is used in *WAY* too many characters. His voice is very distinctive and its very hard to believe you are not talking to Xardas when you hear it. In fact in G1 I think his voice was used on Coristo and the water mage too (forgot his name) but thats it. When I first loaded the game and heard Xardas speaking to me I actually smiled in anticipation of playing the new Gothic.

Then came my biggest dissapointement ever. When I heard this voice I stoped playing for about 2 minutes and just stood there with my mouth open trying to figure out what the hell it was I was listening to. I am talking about Diego. Where is the voice actor who did Diego in G1? Not only was this the *first* person you spoke to when you first loaded G1, but he was also a very good voice actor, his voice was distinctive and it fit the character perfectly. Instead in G2 Diego has lost his speaking skills in favor of the all popular "retarded inbred redneck farmer" sound.

Diego sounded awful and I was extremely dissapointed with this. Gorn and Milten are the same VA's, "Me" is the same VA, why not Diego? Or at least find somone who can speak proper English?!

And to add insult to injury:

Here Diego was one of the most helpful and smart characters with great development in G1, this time around he acts like a complete ASSHAT with you, treats you like crap, demands of you to get his stupid little bag of crap and won't even train you until he gets his luxury house? Maybe thats why his voice changed, his character and attitude changed as well...Ok what have you guys done with the REAL Diego??

Diego is lucky he is "immortal", I would have liked nothing better then to waste him like the "inbred retarded redneck farmer" that he is. Molerats have more character then this guy.

While I am enjoying this game immensly its sad that this little voice thing has taken some of the fun away from it. RPG's are all about characters, their development and their ability to draw you in that world. G1 achieved that in more ways then I can count, it even made the cumbersome fighting controls fun becase the characters where developed and well acted. It was just as fun exploring G1 all by yourself at night as it was talking with people over and over again to hear the funny stuff. In G2 I try to avoid speaking to anyone unless I have to for fear that I'll get some retard asking me for a beating.

Or even "Me" saying "HEY YOU!" to people. What happened to "Hey there"? Or the all popular "Hello".

Ok thats my mini-review, thanks for reading, I'll go back to my hole now

-d
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:11 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

no dont go back we need as many people as we can to complain about that crappy voice actor
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:33 am
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

Come off it!
Even crappy voice acting is better than reading never-ending text (like Morrowind)
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:40 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

no i wont come off it they ruined several characters by using crappy voice actors
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:49 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Please continue the discussion in the other thread on the same topic.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:54 am