X2: The Threat Impressions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

X2: The Threat Impressions

Not sure how many of you follow space sims but through some bizaare twist in the space-time continuum, Australia ended up releasing this game first. I've logged about 6 hours - not much by any means but enough to report some basic impressions.

If you've ever played X: Beyond the Frontier, X-Tension or X-Gold you'll have a good frame of reference. X2 is like a souped-up and improved XT. You'll recognise the artwork, some ships, many sectors, the music and the general "feel" - all of it improved, though.

Graphically it's gorgeous. Bump-mapped and beatifully textured ships and stations, beautiful nebulas and realistic planets with atmospheres and even indications of cities on the surface (not that you really go near planets and you can't land on them per se). The artwork has that same, slightly peculiar Egosoft style so it has a unique 'X' feel that you'll either like or not. As a reference, in many ways it's clearly superior to Freelancer and in other ways on least on par.

This time the story is more obvious and more central - although you're free to go do as you wish. The story is told through in-game sequences with other characters and even trips to planets (cutscenes are the only interaction with planets). Seeing a cut scene with your character meeting and talking with other people on a station or planet adds some depth that makes the world seem a little more real. Like Freelancer, the character models don't match the rest of the graphics and are a little stiffly animated but they're adequate.

Surprisingly, the voice acting is quite good - very good, actually. Mostly British accents so I guess it was recorded there.

I've done a couple of story missions to get some cash and get a feel for the game. Your character is a criminal who gets given an opportunity to work for a corporation. It's a little contrived - even the in game dialogue keeps asking *why* they'd trust a criminal with a ship and send him off with cargo and it hasn't been answered so far. But if you can accept this start, I think the story might hold some promise although its way too early to be sure.

Speaking of dialogue, the story cutscene bits have dialogue choices so there's a touch of RPGness there...although I doubt the choices mean too much. So far you could start with the first dialogue choice and use all of them.

So...you're off into space. You have a basic ship (a modern Discovery for those that know the series) and 5000 credits. You can go do your thing or do a couple of story missions.

Once you're in space it feels like a very refined X-Tension. Most of the old commands are still there, the same resources (there's probably new ones into the game), you'll recognise stations and so on.

The biggest flaw the older X games had was combat, which was always a little slow and arguably a bit simple. I've only had a little combat in the real game but there's some tutorial "simulation" missions that include combat and it's much faster paced. The interface is improved with more advanced reticle features and the ship feels more responsive so they've obviously worked on this. It's no Freelancer action game (thank heavens) and perhaps combat still isn't as robust as some of the better space combat-sims but it's much, much better than older X games.

Trading was always the biggest strength of the X games and the options, menus and feel in X2 is similar but expanded. As with XT you can own an unlimited number of ships, stations, factories and so on. Basic trading is pretty much the same but I can see much better management features to control that massive empire you're planning on building. In particular, "monitors" are exciting.

Monitors are little screens that can show other views. Almost any other view. It could be a rear view of your ship, an external view of your ship, the view of a missile as it slams into your enemy or it could be one of your large transporters in a different system that you've got hauling freight under AI control. I'm too early in to have used them for much other than a cool rear-vision mirror but the potential uses are brilliant.

In fact, bigger ships have multiple cockpits such as rear gunnery positions and you can throw one one of them into a monitor and blast a pirate tailing your slow transporter as you run for the Gate. I can't even begin to think how cool a capital ship will be. You can configure up to 5x monitors in different positions around the screen.

Apparently if you have an nVidia multiple-monitor setup you can put the Monitors on the 2nd screen or have a panoramic view. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with ATI (as best I can find out so far) which is disappointing because I have multiple monitors ready to go. Oh well.

The interface is the same menu style as the previous X games. It's rather complicated by virtue of the depth of options and I think some reviews might criticise it but considering the sheer number of options I think it's quite OK.

So, is it any good? Look, if you got any enjoyment out of a previous X game, just get this - end of story. If you found previous X games too slow but like freeform space trading games, I think the story and improved combat should satisfy you. If you like space sims and want something deeper than Freelancer, go get it. Really, anyone who has any interest in space sims should take a look unless you're looking for a Freelancer action-fest or a Wing Commander interactive movie.

Is it the game Elite players have longed for? I think yes...
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:52 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Thank you very much for the detailed review, Dhruin.

Freelancer was my first real foray into the space sim genre, and I enjoyed it for the shooter that it was. I'm not usually a fan of shooters, being too slow of mind and hand to do well, but Freelancer worked for me. Back then, I mentioned to some good friends of mine that I wished Freelancer truly offered non-combat careers as it advertised, and was told by some crazy Aussie ( ) to check into the "X" series. I've been following the development of X2 since, although I often felt like an English student in a Chinese classroom-- you can follow what's on the chalkboard, but most of the conversation goes right over your head.

I was wondering if you might be willing to take a quick second look at the game. Since I haven't had the chance to play earlier installments of the "X" series, many of your references were lost on me. Since my single reference point in the genre is Freelancer, could you revisit mission structure and the interface from that viewpoint? Freelancer was reasonably successful, so I imagine there might be other gamers out there who gave space sims a try and might like a second, deeper helping.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:59 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Good mini-review, Dhruin.

I've been looking for a space sim to replace the original Privateer and X-Wing Alliance, but none of the recent titles come even close to those two classics, in my opinion. Would you say X2 is a worthy sucessor to those two games?
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:09 pm
Dhruin

goshuto's first 'cause that's easier. I think X2 exceeds Privateer in almost every way (see combat comments below). X-Wing Alliance is a harder comparison because it's a mission-based combat game and X2 is almost the opposite. In truth, I haven't spent enough time with the game to respond properly but I think the difference lies in the importance of combat.

A game like X-Wing Alliance can create exciting, tightly scripted combat sequences that are quite intense. I'm not sure X2 can duplicate that. I've seen very little combat so I'm making some assumptions but I expect the combat to be less visceral than combat sims. What it does offer instead is a huge, freeform "universe" simulation with virtually unlimited freedom.

If you like space sims purely or mostly for the combat, I think X2 will be pretty good but not your favourite. If you'd like some combat mixed in with exploration and trading, X2's your game.

@dte, I'm not sure where to start so here goes...

X2 is a bit like Freelancer after you've finished the story compaign. Although there is a campaign (and I hope it's good - too early to tell), the "main game" is to do what you want. And I don't mean Freelancer "do what you want except the story made this faction your enemy", I really mean Morrowind-like do what the hell you want.

Freelancer's interface is much more streamlined. X2 has the usual rough edges you seem to get from a small European developer. There's absolutely no mouse pointer (although you can steer with the mouse) and control is done through a series of simple menus. Hit "Enter" for the main ship menu, choose "Your Current Ship", choose "Freight"...you get the idea. I think a mouse is easier but the desision was made not to *ever* have a mouse pointer. You can actually use the mouse. Right button opensthe main menu, scroll to move up or down and so on but it's keyboard oriented.

On the other hand, almost *everything* has a hotkey. You can go through three menu levels for the nav map or just remember "." Anyway, it's functional but not as clever as Freelancer.

It also doesn't have Freelancer's type of mouse control where you have a moving cursor and the guns track that cursor. Forward guns are fixed although bigger ships have movable turrets. The mouse is set up to emulate a joystick (joystick is probably optimal) - although some fans do like the mouse or keyboard.

Unlike Freelancer the different ships behave *hugely* differently. A small ship (M5 or M6 in X2) will be very fast and manouvreable but a large freighter or capital ship will take a week to turn around. You can buy upgrades to improve their turning or speed up to a maximum value for each ship. There's way less weapon types and less mounting points than Freelancer. You'll also generally only fight a few ships (and often one-one) as against Freelancer's waves of dozens (although I've seen screens of big battles).

On the other hand, there's a bigger range of non-combat equipment. Better scanners, "Best Buy" locators and so on.

There's way less factions. Basically there's several different races which each have their areas of space but within (for example) a Boron sector there aren't lots of sub-factions. The compaign may change that somewhat - can't tell yet. If you play a neutral trader you should be on good terms with most races except pirates and the Khaak (the universal "baddies"). Unlike Freelancer, you won't necessarily get swamped by baddies at every turn. The central sectors for each race are well protected and you may not see any pirates at all. If you just trade in safe sectors you'll get mostly left alone. On the other hand, if you venture to the frontier systems...

So for an all-out action-fest, Freelancer is a more immediately fun game - X2 takes some time and for most the goal is probably to build an Empire. Like Morrowind, you have to set your own pace a bit. Bored running freight in safe areas with no pirates? Go explore further out, etc.

So why is X2 better?

- You can fly everything in the game. If you can't buy it you can capture one if you're good enough, from tiny fighters to multiple cockpit destroyers and carriers.

- True dynamic economy. Destroy a freighter carrying Crystals to an Energy Factory and watch the price go up as stock depletes. Ship too many foozles to a station and watch the price plummet as you saturate the market. Those freighters are real, too. You can follow a freighter from a station where they actually purchase a commodity to the destination where they actually sell it. *Every* factory has to buy raw materials which are genuinely moved around the game as demand warrants.

- Own structures. You can buy/build stations and factories. Clean out a sector and build your own economy there - your own factories, trading stations, freighters, defence posts.

- Own any number. There's no limit to the number of ships and structures you can own and they don't have to sit idle. Explore in a fast fighter while you use the remote control menus (or AI scripts) for your freighter to ship stuff from one of your factories to a trading station. Why not have 20 freighters and control the market?

This is way too long. X2 is as much about the market simulation as the flying. If that appeals, think about getting it. If you just want to blast stuff, it's not the strongest option.

Not sure if that helped...
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:01 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Thanks, Dhruin. That sounds indeed like a worthy sucessor to Privateer.
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:16 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Thank you, Dhruin, for another detailed response. Your answers are so much more informative than the info available at Egosoft and Enlight.

2 more quickies, and then I'll let you spend your free time playing the game instead of describing it to me.

1) Ain't be gottin' no joystick. It sounds like that won't be a huge problem. I do have a gamepad, if that is supported and works better than the old keys-n-mouse technique. Do I need to include a shiny new joystick in the "cost of the game"?

2) Does the game recognize your status and/or accomplishments? I.e., are different jobs/missions available to a guy that owns 10 freighters and a station or two versus a rookie fresh off the prison ship? Your references to Morrowind scared me a bit...
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:20 pm
Dhruin

Thanks. I would have said more but I figured going for the RPGDot post-length record wasn't necessarily a good thing.

1) Joystick - nah, mouse is fine. Bernd Lehann (head honcho at Egosoft) thinks a mouse pointer spoils the immersion. I think he may be wrong but they obviously designed a menu system that could be negotiated easily with a joystick, which "hardcore" space sim fans like. So it isn't custom-designed for a mouse like FL but a mouse and keyboard dores fine. You *will* think the menus could be improved but memorising some hotkeys fixes that.

2) Morrowind scares me but it's the best example I could think of. Yes, they do recognise you although I can't truthfully say how well over the whole game. You have ranks with each race...at the moment I'm a "Trade Partner" with a "rank" of 50% with the Argon but the Paranid (paranoid xenophobes) have me listed as a "Enemy of the Priest Duke" 97%. I'll get shot at just for going there until I chase some pirates out of their sectors or something.

Other than the story missions and just trading / exploring / fighting on your own, there's a bulletin board with news and some jobs at each station. I tried to take one job but the guy reponded saying my references were too scant, no thanks. Another job required a bigger ship to take the amount of freight.

Unlike Freelancer which leads you on a story through increasingly difficult areas with better ships for sale, although you start in a very safe and civilised area, there's nothing stopping you from flying straight to the most difficult pirate sector (not that you'd know where it is) or going straight to the shipyard selling the best ships (not that you could afford it). The jobs aren't sorted, either. You have to find the jobs you can do but they'll tell you to get lost if you don't cut it.
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:10 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Delivery in the US slipped again...

I get my copy Friday. I've already explained to Mrs dte that she'll have to tend to the kiddies this weekend because Daddy's gonna be terribly busy with important work on the computer.

Her response would get me a stern board warning from Val...
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:08 am
Dhruin

Excellent! Hope you enjoy it or the two people will that read my impressions will never read one of my posts again.

Now that you're convinced (you have put the deposit down, haven't you?), here's a quick update including some minuses...

Haven't had much more play time but that early-game fanatic enthusiasm has settled down to a nice warm glow and a few things are worth some comments.

- They really should have included a mouse interface. The current one works (and quite efficiently) but would be less tedious for having a mouse pointer. It's a bit like Gothic - it works but you wonder why they did it the way they did (don't Germans like mice?).

- Quite a few differences between the voiceovers and the text and a few interface inconsistencies (same as Gothic again). Including some errors in the tutorial missions.

- Heaps of interface shortcuts and helpful things exist that either aren't in the manual or I can't see them there.

- Combat is much-improved on the older X games but still can't match the "real" space combat sims.

But...it's still great fun. I only got half my work done today while I daydreamed about X2 and plotted out my next moves. I think new players will find it a bit overwhelming (it really helps to have played the old ones) so please be patient with the learning curve and rough edges.

I'm parked in a station in Priest's Rings at the moment - the site of the ringed planet dominating the sector is breathtaking...
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:46 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

And back it goes again...

The game has dropped back to a 02DEC delivery now. This is like their 3rd ship date since the game went gold. Enlight (the publisher for North America) is taking a major beating in their forums.

So much for taking advantage of the holiday weekend to get totally engulfed in a new game.... Worse yet, now I've got to make a decision on whether I'd rather have HotU first since money's very tight.
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:02 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Enlight missed their assigned time slot in Sony´s CD pressing plant. They had to wait for the next open slot. This explains why the game is pushed back day after day. Enlight is probably not big enough to ship to all retailers at the same time. Now they´re delivering to key accounts and those who shout the loudest.
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:05 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

From what I've read, it looks like 2 delivery slips came after Sony got around to duplicating. Like you say, it appears they are unable to ship product to all the sellers at the same time. Someone over there isn't paying attention, though. Their first revision to a "definite ship date" (after they announced the Sony snafu) was for 27NOV, which was the Thanksgiving holiday. Revision 2 was for 28NOV, to allow for no shipping being done on the holiday. Revision 3 is now back to 2DEC, with no explanation as of yet.

Manure occurs, but this is certainly making Enlight look disorganized. Too bad some of the "black eye" will stick to Egosoft.
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:53 am
Dhruin

Good ol' GoGamer has stock apparently. Egosoft are certainly copping some harsh words from both US and European players which is a pity.
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:36 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I'm interested in this game but I have one quick question. I saw it sort of answered but I want to make sure... Will you be attacked every two seconds while youre trying to explore? That was something that drove me nuts about freelancer. The whole time exploreing and being attacked I would think "Could space REALLY be this full?!". In freelancer i did manage to balance most of the factions so that not many people attacked me but at the cost of not being able to take missions

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:20 pm
Dhruin

No - in fact it's the exact opposite. In most of the "main" areas of space you are most unlikely to get attacked*. The Pirates are rather peaceloving bootleggers it seems and stick to freighting their illegal booze around rather than pirating your ships and goods. I've complained along with others on Egosoft's boards that they're far too pacifist!

There are dangerous areas you can travel too, however, if you want some action and the story can involve combat missions; you can even get a bounty hunting license or turn pirate yourself.

*There's a new enemy race that randomly attack some sectors. Ironically they took out one of my ships just after I complained it was too safe on the Ego boards.
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next