View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Thief (III)

Thief (III) developed by Ion-storm.

I just want to recommend that game for the fans of the previous thief games, and for all other interested also.

I must admit that I was a little sceptical when "looking glass" sold the rights of "thief" to "Ion storm", but they really have done a good job with great respect to the previous thief games.
The thick (1st person) mood, intuitive interface, the shadow gem, his tools etc etc.
Now regarding the "guards" new AI i won't say that it's worse or better, but maybe just a little different, but still with some possible flaws to take advantage of for the keen player, but it's in my opinion not enough to wreck the joy.

New features:

1. The main story is not only going from "one mission to another" any longer, "Garreth" now also has to move around in his big town, to gather informations and supply between missions. this is very nice features that defently enhance the overall story, and the feeling of a continous evolving plot, instead of a bad excuse of a story to take another mission, as you normally see it in RTS games.
2. The " rope-arrow" is replaced with "climbing gloves". Works fine.
3. The zombies and golems are back in some missions. It's okay for me, as long it don't get too much.
4. Possible side-quest, that can change your "stance" with different factions. If you have a hostile "stance" with all factions, you will have to be a lot more on your toes when you walk around in the town, as all living beings will hunt you then.
5. New "open lock" feature. Works fine, you can really get better (faster) with practice.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:32 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I finished it about 5 minutes ago, and I'm severly depressed right now .
Thief 1 and 2 are among my favorite games of all times, if not the fvorite games, and now Thief: Deadly Shadows has been added to my 'eternal faves' gallery as well.

Atmosphere and gameplay in T3 are well up to the first two; the Cradle level is pretty fresh - gameplay-wise, it borrowed a bit from Soul Reaver, atmosphere-wise, it's nasty horror... a very effective combination (even though my most-feared opponents still are the children of Karras from T2, mainly because I find clockwork-and-steam thingies in general rather grisly).

Once again there was a good deal of humor, both of the intended and the unintended sort. I had a good laugh when
Spoiler:
I was following the ghost of Lauryl through town, and everybody was fleeing from her - even the occasional Hammerite. "I shall endeavor to flee thee!"

Sure, T3 also has its faults - too easy/early access to equipment, exploitable AI, factions not really making a difference, some minor quest scripting errors. But... well, showeth me the game that hath no flaws*.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:07 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
But... well, showeth me the game that hath no flaws*.

Here's one Jaz!

"Thatchsofts" "Build Your Own Thatched Roof Simulator."

Hours of fun for the Thatched Roof enthusiast, with comprehensive tutorils making your Thatching fun, wheather you are a Thatching newbie or a grand Thatching master!

Oh............... sorry, I thought you said no Floors!

Badger
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:47 pm
Loveshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Also fan of the Thief series and Theif 3 is a very good game. I dont see why people put down the graphics. I think the add ALOT to the game. Gives it more of a "medieval" setting.

Would also like to recommend it to people. solid 7.5 out of 10.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:25 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Loveshot
Would also like to recommend it to people. solid 7.5 out of 10.

I don't subtract points from a game because of the graphics unless it's really bad and/or directly annoying, I reward gameplay and intensive mood, so thief III is more like 90% out of 100% in my book.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:06 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

9 out of 10 (or 90%) would be my rating as well... I have yet to see a 10 out of 10 game.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:51 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Oooooh Oooooh I know one Jaz, it's........................ oh, never mind.

Badger
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:11 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I keep my eye on this title. Now I am more convinced to buy it. However I still need to wait till it will be published here (probably more than two months).
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:29 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My favorite pastime was, by the way, stealing arrows from the hands of bowmen who were looking for me.
"!!! Where did it go? I knew it was there just a second ago!"
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:04 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
My favorite pastime was, by the way, stealing arrows from the hands of bowmen who were looking for me.
"!!! Where did it go? I knew it was there just a second ago!"

Maybe you should reconsider your carreer as computer saleswoman!?
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:27 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Selling games is just a side job, anyway .
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:20 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Me? I'm caught struggling between the devil and the deep blue on this one. I've been following "work in progress" reports on this game for ages.

I wants it I does.... but I'm not convinced that it'll run acceptably on my biege Jurassic friend Obseletasaurus Rex.

So I have to wait for a demo to be placed in my eager stripey paws and as the boot sucking swamp of the 56k modem makes downloading it a no no, I'll have to wait for the kind ministrations of the editorial team at the magazine I subscribe to ("Subscribed to" it just lapsed... D'OH!) by placing it's Garret-ty sneakiness on thier cover dvd. This month maybe??? We live in hope.

On the plus side, while I wait the price she falls and already I have seen the game for as little as £19.99! Why for that kind of price my jealously guarded birthday money might even stretch to a nice budget title as well!

Badger
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:36 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
I wants it I does.... but I'm not convinced that it'll run acceptably on my biege Jurassic friend Obseletasaurus Rex.

Even if mine is from this side of the newest ice-age, Thief III still feels like an ancient vampire on the performance, it run acepptable but certainly not smooth.

Ofcourse you can clip a nail, a toe or even some of it's teeth, but don't expect miracles even if it get's uglier.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:08 am
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

@Badger

You should get a download manager that lets you resume downloads that get cut-off (or paused by you). I use an older version of GetRight but I'm sure the newer one is as good or better. Get it here if you want it:

http://www.getright.com

I've also heard this one is good but haven't used it:

http://www.leechget.net/en/

I'm on dial-up (56k) and with GetRight I've downloaded many huge demo's and movie clips (up to the 500mb half-life 2 clip) with no problems. Just start it when you go to bed and leave it on...shouldn't take more than 2 nights for the Thief DS demo. I'd advise using www.3dgamers.com. They have lots of mirrors and you can easily get the download to come through getright. Some places (like FilePlanet, etc) have their own crappy download managers that prevent you from using your own.

As for Thief DS, I'd probably give it an 8 (maybe 8.5). It's got it's flaws but it's still a fine game and carries the Thief torch pretty well. It is a resource hog though.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:41 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My comp is somewhat ancient, too: a used 1700, a used (non-pro or -SE or -XT) Radeon 9600 and an old, third-hand 17" monitor, for example - at least it's too old for getting smooth framerates with most newer titles.

This said, Thief III ran pretty creamy with a resolution of 1024x768 and all settings maxed out. Only in one level - XXX's (=self-censored because of possible spoiler) Lair with all the particles - performance dipped like a brick.

And yes, GetRight is a great tool.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next