Usergroups
I swear! These people just don't quit!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I swear! These people just don't quit!

Yep, you guessed it. http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/ca/story/7869059p-8809136c.html

More of the same. Let me ask you this: Has playing violent video games for extented periods of time ever caused you to want the kill? I myself have played countless hours of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and never once wanted to harm even a leaf. I don't consider myself a violent person. I don't like to get in fights and such. I am no more violent than the average person who has never even seen GTA3. Are you? Probably not. These are probably the same people (or their descendents) who hated rock music and Catcher in the Rye back when they came out. People just don't get it.
If anything, movies and books are more to blame for violent behavior. Books and Movies show you every emotion of the character, and are much more realistic than video games.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:39 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

What, you expect parents to actually be responsible for raising their own children? Revolutionary thinking!
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:36 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Unfortunately, I can't consider myself a non-violent person. I don't like violence in General, but... However, I'm sure that has nothing to do with GTA!!
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:17 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Re: I swear! These people just don't quit!

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
Let me ask you this: Has playing violent video games for extented periods of time ever caused you to want the kill?

No. But dealing with the mind-numbing stupidity of the people who call me at my job has.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:40 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...

[Insert long-winded, rather colorful, gamer rant here]
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:55 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Re: I swear! These people just don't quit!

quote:
Originally posted by Val
quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
Let me ask you this: Has playing violent video games for extented periods of time ever caused you to want the kill?

No. But dealing with the mind-numbing stupidity of the people who call me at my job has.

You may be onto something there. In the February issue of PC Gamer, the staff did a study that showed that playing golf caused violence in people. Many of the staff committed acts of violence as a result of bad golf shots.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:58 am
Secret Agent Lawanda

Lawanda throws her head back and laughs exceedingly.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:17 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

See? Golf is evil.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:34 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

To bring this somewhat back on topic, it can be argued that having the opportunity to express any violent feelings through a video game rather than through a RL experience, must be a good thing!! People will express those feelings one way or another. Killing Orcs seems much more sensible to me than killing real people!! Obviously, none of these people have studied the real reasons behind much of the violence we see. The trouble is, they don't want to admit to the real reasons, so blaming games is a convenient alternative!!
That point of view might surprise some of you!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:23 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

What Corwin said.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:42 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
To bring this somewhat back on topic, it can be argued that having the opportunity to express any violent feelings through a video game rather than through a RL experience, must be a good thing!!

Completely agree. Playing violent games is, if nothing else, cathartic.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:57 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

What Corwin went into lengthy sentences to describe is actually called a "scapegoat."

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:16 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I have never felt the need to commit a violent act after playing a FPS, but I do have felt it when playing golf, because then you have nothing to unreact on.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:35 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Get them over here and I'll show them games are good. Games was a large part to even keep me alive!

An exempel of people who do not play games are more violent then me: My sister does not play games, she's hitting everyone all the time. I play games, I have never hurt anyone on purpose.

Of course, it might be that my sister has a problem with something else.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:59 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I suppose I'm going to make some enemies now...

I suppose I'm going to make some enemies now as I'm about to make the unpopular thread viewpoint:

But before any of you bring out your flamethrowers and pitchforks, hear me out and know this: I'm a 30-something male, been playing video and computer games since 1974 and I'm still a gamer freak. I love all kinds of games and just about every genre - well, except I never took much to the Deer Hunter series or the Barbie games, but I digress... no matter what your age is, when it comes to gaming, I'm your peer in this...

We're talking freak here. I own every single video game system dating back to the first Odyssey video game system introduced in the U.S. in the mid-70s. On top of that, I'm a computer gamer freak too with no less then 3 computers at any given moment. I still have the original Apple computer, an IBM 8088 model 'B', a vic20, a commodore 64, a TRS-80 (aka Trash-80), a MAC SE ... ok you get the point.

What I don't agree with is any statement that says product_x leads to violent behavior. Statements like 'Grand Theft Auto will make young kids kick small puppies' or 'The movie 'The Matrix' will cause teenagers to see if they too can leap between tall buildings.' Like most of you, no, I don't agree with that.

But I think both gamers and the gaming industry at large have had a knee-jerk defensive posture about anything negative to be said about video and computer games - and if you really want to be honest with yourself and honest as a gaming community, I think the issue deserves a little more thought than simply barking about the latest politician to mouth off about FPS games and then ignoring the issue entirely until you happen to stumble onto it again on some gaming message board 3 years later.

I've thought about this issue a lot. Because I'm a gamer freak and a parent. And I've seen a lot of changes in the media since the days when Donahue was asking his audiences if Road Runner cartoons were, 'too violent.' When I think of my kids and when I’m in ‘parent mode,’ I know that I have to filter their gaming content much like I filter their television and movie viewing content. Some things are just inappropriate to my children’s’ maturity level at this point. And when they mature, I will gradually allow them to see the world more and more for what it is, the good and the bad. This leads to another side point.

Part of the problems with politicians and those who make absurd comments about games equally violent behavior in kids is that the realization that gaming is a much an adult form of entertainment as it is a form of entertainment for kids hasn’t occurred. That’s why, I feel, that violent videogames are being scrutinized by politicians where other forms of violent media seem to be a non-issue to these very same politicians. Well, except for maybe rap music.

Here's my viewpoint. Video and computer games are 'media' along with television programs, television commercials, movies, magazines, books, music, road side billboards, and any other 'media' you can think of marketed to consumers.

Now, when I write, 'media' do not just picture 'video and computer games,' include in your thoughts all the different media I mentioned.

The collective media has become measurably more violent with each passing decade since the 1960s. There is a lot of information and data to back that up.

If you really care about this subject beyond having knee-jerk reactions, but are skeptical, you can test this yourself. Every time you are exposed to some form of media, tally it. If that media conveys any type of violence, flag it as such. Record your data, be honest, and you will find that your percentage of violence in media overall will be in the high 80 percentile range... as market research studies are currently showing.

And there is a very simple reason behind this. Like sex, violence sells. That's it. Violence = Money.

So like many of you, I think I will vomit if I have to hear Lieberman, even one more time, say that violent videogames = violent kids.

But what I am infinitely more open to, is the possibility that the onslaught of violent images and sounds from the collective media may be having an impact on a statistically significant number of people in the world.

Let the flames begin I suppose...

Last edited by TheMadGamer on Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:24 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next