Usergroups
Alien vs. Predator the MOVIE!!!!!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey Gig, we agree on something, I thought Hulk was excellent. My favourite bit was when they had Bruce in the tank and were dredging up his supressed memories, and his pop's telling of the story to Betty was used to convey all the information... that was brilliant!

quote:
Originally posted by Val
As for AvP...

Oh yeah, the topic! Forgot about that
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:48 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Yay!!! I got one right!

To tell the truth, the part of AvP that weirded me out the most was that Bishop from Aliens was the guy in charge. I couldn't get past the idea that it wasn't Bishop!
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:26 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hmm, I just saw that as a tip of the hat to the Aliens franchise. This did take place before androids existed. Who knows, perhaps his company was the first to make believable androids and they used his face for them.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Oooooh... good one!!! That completely works!
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:59 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Well, since people we're talking about The Hulk, I felt moved to respond. Can you believe though, I've yet to see the movie, considering my avatar?
I did see the trailer though and it looked pretty cool. I will get around to seeing it someday.
P.S. I remember the t.v. show and was disappointed with it becaused they nerfed The Hulk so bad and made him a shadow of what he was in comic books. I still have a bunch of Hulk comics in a box somewhere, some of my favorite ones were the ones drawn by Sal Buscema in issues of the Incredible Hulk #280-309.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:40 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Right-click and choose Save As...
The only Alien vs. Predator movie I want to see...
160 MB

For those with slower connections...
43 MB

Batman is going down!

Whoah, an actor playing Batman who actually has some real muscles of his own, and not relying on fake muscles of a costume? If only the next Batman movie would take a cue from this movie short in the casting for the next Batman.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
Oooooh... good one!!! That completely works!

It was more than a tip of the hat.

In AVP the company was Wayland incorporated. They had their fingers into everything but had achieved the most success in the field of robotics (the cover of the Time magazine shown in the movie).

In Alien the mining vessel Nostromo and everyone on it (Ripley and all) were owned by Wayland-Yutani Corporation. So was the colony in Aliens and so were the colonial marines.

It would only make sense to make a series of androids (the first generation of 'perfect' androids at that... the ones in Alien were flawed... or, as Bishop put it in Aliens 'unstable') made in the image of the man who pioneered the field of robotics and founded the company.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:29 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well well, to delve into necromancy and raise this thread... because as promised, I saw the AvP movie now that it hit the local DVD market.

I actually liked it - despite everything, it came pretty close to the original comic book from way back, the one that started it all... especially in the most important part (for me, that is), namely the human female/predator hunting company. There also was a nod to the AvP games, namely in the alien/pred hybrid in the end.
Nice. I expected worse stuff.
In short: Me likes.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:27 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

yes, about the hybrid who comes out of the Predator in the end, does that mean there will be a second AvP? or just a bad end like in most horror movies?
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:56 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Both, most likely.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:14 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Both I guess...
... the predalien in AvP 2 multiplayer was pretty much overkill.

About the movie ending, it wasn't THAT bad (bad as in 'now the thing will kill everybody on board')... just a wee tiny little newborn alien on a ship full of pred elders. If THAT's supposed to be a great danger, it's about as logical as the rest of the movie .
But oh well, it was still fun.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:37 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It was unneccessary was my only complaint about it.

It certainly didn't threaten the ship any. It might have splattered the first 'janitor' it came across... and maybe one or two others if it surprised them too... but after that they'd try to convince me that the incredible technology they displayed wouldn't pick up the intruder?

For that matter I don't know why any of the Predators didn't see it before bringing the body onboard (since it had already been shown in the movie that they could see it inside a host... which would make sense given their thermal based vision).

It was just pointless as an ending. Movie should have simply ended as the ship lifted off.

The ending combined with the acceleration of the alien life cycle (it takes several hours for the embryo to grow and then a few more hours to reach adulthood ... I got the feeling the movie didn't cover at least 12 hours real time from the time they entered the 'sacrificial chamber') were really my only *minor* complaints about the movie. I'm happy they actually modified an existing and GOOD story instead of trying to come up with something else.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:19 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My sentiments exactly!
Although I don't remember if any pred was masked while bringing the body onboard (the elder sure wasn't, and I have seen the movie only once so far, with teething baby nearby at that, so I actually don't remember any further details).
Well.
Perhaps they kept the predalien on purpose, for sports...?
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:37 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Even without the mask the Predator's natural vision is thermo ... very sensitive thermal. Since aliens don't show up to thermal (that's why they had to cycle through to IR, just like they make you do in the AvP games) it would be an alien shaped blob of darkness in the cooling body.

I'd thought of the sport thing too, though... it would be the explanation I'd accept (and so it's the one I choose to believe ).

Post Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:40 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hehe, it's been a while since I pl ayed AvP (or any other game, for that matter), but now that you mention it... actually I liked AvP2's Alien campaign best of them all (me who seriously dislikes these critters), for the sheer fun factor . I committed the error of playing it first, so the other two campaigns came across as far too slow and tedious, even though I had been looking forward to the pred part. Oh well. Next time I'll play a game in the exact order suggested by the creators!

Back to the movie, many people complained about the Predators being too weak compared to the Aliens, but if I understood things right (something I doubt regarding the circumstances under which I saw the movie ), the three in the compound were just teenage kids, so... I don't think it was a point worth complaining about.
Post Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:13 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next