Help getting started
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
SolidWing68
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Help getting started

I have just started to play Gothic II a few days ago and I found a gamestop near me had it for only 10 bucks so I picked it up. Anyway I'm in the beginning of the game and I'm inside that small cave thats near the building you start from, but theres these creatures Youth Field Miners I think they're called, and there are 2 of them. How can I get past them? Thanks.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:06 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to our forum!

You´re probably in the cave near the lake. Exploring it is optional. It leads to a valley in which you´ll fiend an old friend from Gothic. Clearing the cave is possible but it could take a few tries. It´s one of the first things I did when I started the game. Use the 2 fireball spells you should have found by now. One is on the other side of the lake, the other behind Xardas´ tower.

Generally speaking you should avoid combat - especially against humans - in the beginning. You are a weakling in a dangerous world. Almost everything is stronger than you.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:54 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Nice pick, you just get for only 10 bucks the best RPG ever done.

For your question:
- You can come back later when you have rise a little your char, it's a major thing to learn in this game you don't have to kill everything arround.
- Or/and you can fight them one by one by attract them and rest after each fight. Isolation si a quite important thing and often the monsters are placed so it's hard to isolate them and that require a carefull analysis. Some type of monsters are quite hard to isolate because they prefer stay in group but among them some type can be isolated anyway by various tactics.

Edit: To reach the valley mentionned by Gorath (we post in //) are you sure that you need to kill those monsters? Made with care the hidden valley is a good thing to do to get some experience in the game and some xp.

Have fun!
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:59 pm
SolidWing68
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yep it was a pretty good deal, and i only started checking stores to see if they had it cause i seen gothic 2 gold edition was released, which i was thinking about getting but i heard its just gothic 2 and an add-on, the night of the raven i think its called, but i'm still thinkin of getting the gold edition or the add-on seperatly. But back to my question..yea i'm in a small cave, like after you step out of the building you walk down this road and you can see a sheep and then to the left u go down is a little goblin monster or whatever it is called. So I killed that and went into the little cave, killed the 3 other ones that were inside, I went to the other side in the cave and see 2 the youth field miners or whatever they are called to but I cant get past them. I do have 2 fireball spells and tried equipping them but dont know how since it is magic(I think?).
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

They´re equipped like everything else in the inventory. Remember the number they got assigned and press it to select the spell you want to use.

Maybe you should just leave the cave for later. Go to the first farm, do a few quests and enter the city. Then play it like an adventure. Talk to everyone, get a dozen quests, accept help if it´s offered. Field Raiders are no longer a problem when you´ve collected the easy XP. Armour, weapons and the main stats make a huge difference.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:40 pm
SolidWing68
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm not gonna go into a long post about how I got where I am now, but I'm at a farm. I spoke to one of the guys Elateh I think his name was, anyway as I was fighting a wolf they came over and helped and I accidently hit one of them and now they wont stop goin after me. What can I do? I allready saved.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:02 pm
zie526
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

haha first time there I saved/loaded lots of times.
but after be used to the fighting system
second time when I started there
I just used Heavy Branch and hit them down one by one(can't face both)

U can try to move sideleft and sideright, and start to hit when them come near
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:04 am
SolidWing68
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I had to start over cause the farmers were just to much for me to handle, and I think vito and some others were after me also, but I just finished playing, played about an hour and I got back to the farm, I talked to Cathar and was kind of iffy on taking the pass since he said I would simply owe him a favor(and not knowing what it was) but I took it anyway, and I'm still gonna see the guy at the farm, I forgot his name about some farm work, just so I can get some extra money

Oh I forgot to mention, I tried viewing the map by pressing M but it didnt come up, so I changed it to num 4(the number pad on the right of keyboard) and still didnt pop up, do I need to find the map in order to view it, was that why it didnt come up?
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:57 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Maps are normal items. You need to get them somehow.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:26 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

And you need click once on the map in your inventory before the map special shortkey works.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:14 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by SolidWing68
Oh I forgot to mention, I tried viewing the map by pressing M but it didnt come up, so I changed it to num 4(the number pad on the right of keyboard) and still didnt pop up, do I need to find the map in order to view it, was that why it didnt come up?

Gothic doesn't use automaps like most other games. Without a map you can't look at the map. In the harbour quarter of Khorinis is a map drawers, who sells all kinds of maps. But there are other ways to get them if you don't have the money to buy them from him.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:38 am