Oblivion Dated?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Oblivion Dated?

<a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/691/691037p1.html" target="_blank">PC.IGN</a> has noticed Microsoft has updated their <a href="http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/t/theelderscrollsIVoblivion/" target="_blank">Xbox.com product page</a> for Oblivion, changing the date from "TBA" to March 20th. According to the PC.IGN article, Bethsoft denied a date had been set but many readers will notice this date is pretty close to the March 24th given to IGN a few weeks ago by 2K Games UK. Clearly, an official announcement is the only thing that counts...but anyone want to give me good odds on late March?
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:28 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

EB has had it listed at March 20 for at least 2 months here in the US, dont usually reley on them but they are big enough to get close unless some unforseen problem comes along.

In Eurpoe looks like GOGamer has March 21, not sure how long they have had that posted but that would ROCK for you European guys to only get it a day after the US, normally you guys have to wait a week or more.

Anyway, sooner the better.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:30 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Well, there are several things to mention:

Ads in german gaming magazines, issued by the european publisher, state March 24th as a release date. The official Xbox 360 magazine runs a promotion where they give away Oblivion when you buy their magazine for one year, and the release date given there is March 24th as well. XBox.com has March 20th listed for the US, for Europe, it's still TBA as of now.

Peter Wildling, from the german distributor, has confirmed a release date of March 24th. And tonight, two people from the QA team at Bethesda have been spotted on Xbox Live! to play Oblivion. This is interesting because normally, there is a Beta Live! net for such things, and you wouldn't go on Live! earlier than with a gold candidate or even a gold disk - and certainly not before it has passed the Microsoft XBox QA tests.

My stance on this is: Internally, Bethesda has set March 20th and March 24th as release date, but as they are testing and tweaking until the last second (if they want to hit this street date, they are in the final days of doing so), something MIGHT creep up and delay the game - this is why they won't announce a release date until the time window closes. It could well be that we will see the release date announcement tonight, just before the info embargo for previews is lifted (they did a tour through major US cities and showed the game to the press), and if they don't announce it today, they will - if the release date we speculate about is correct, within the next two weeks. If you don't hear from them until March 10th latest, the game will be deleayed again.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:04 pm
araczynski
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

all i can say is it better be soon, i've been holding off on taking a vacation day cuz of this game
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:18 pm
Lucky Day

heh, when I saw the headline I thought it would be an opinion piece that the game looks "out of date".

there's been recent talk of how it looks like the predecessor since they removed placeables casting shadows.

What you really meant was Oblivion Relase Date?
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Gabboflabbo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Release Date: TBD

The release date on that product page has changed to TBD!
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:50 pm
Dhruin

So it has. I still think the date is fairly accurate - it's awfully close, anyway. Bethsoft devs wouldn't be playing it on standard Xbox Live! if it wasn't basically done. The embargo on previews from the roadshow ends soon - we'll see a flood of stuff shortly.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:11 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

EB Australia lists March 24 as well!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:45 pm
Moxie
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That's interesting. In the podcasts with Pete Hines this past week, he spent time making it clear that he's never given out a release date. The way he talked about it though made it sound like it could be a surprise in that it could come out earlier than predicted rather than later. Did anyone else get this impression? I just wonder if IGN is trying to adjust based on a similar vibe coming from somewhere else. Of course, my speculation is about as worthless as you can get with my limited knowledge on distribution practice.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:57 am
Roi Danton

In the German mag "PC Powerplay" (on sale from next wednesday on, but already available for subscribers) there is an ad on the back cover, stating that Oblivion will be released on March 24th in Germany.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:05 am

Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Regardless of any release date...is there an indication yet on what the system specs are going to be?
I'm wondering if my machine can handle Oblivion (maybe on medium settings...)

EDIT: never mind, I found it on the official website in the FAQ....upgrade will be needed!
Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:09 am