Suggest a game similar to Gothic 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Bombadill
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Suggest a game similar to Gothic 2

I looove Gothic 2, but since the expansion-pack won`t come along yet I need a game in the meantime.

Do you have any suggestion to a cool game. I doesn`t have to be with MP, but it should be something like G2

Thanx
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:19 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

hm...
- sea dogs 2 (it's called pirates of the carribean) buts it's a little boring game (wel... little, very much)

- arx fatalis (you can get the demo on the gothic start screen)
- morrowind
- star wars galaxies
- neverwinter nights
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:13 pm
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

You can't get any closer to being Gothic than Arx Fatalis. Make sure you get the patches for it, and it will work fine. Offers about 50 hours of play with no replay value, but it is the next best thing to Gothic.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:18 am
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

As mentioned above, you might want to give Morrowind a try if you haven't done so before. There are more stats to toy around with, the area is larger and there's a higher number of quests and NPCs. However, after having played Gothic (2) it'll look very generic and bland to you. Gothic looks and feels handcrafted, MW doesn't really. Plus the battle system is rather clickclick-heavy.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:22 am
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Similar Games

You know...when I bought my Gothic 2 I pretty much forgot about Morrowind. I felt the game was superior in almost every way and actually started disliking Morrowind. Then, a couple of days ago, I bought the second expansion (bloodmoon) and all of a sudden I am again incredibly engrossed in the game. One thing I really like about Morrowind is the TRUE freedom available to you. While G2 offers a relatively nonlinear experience, Morrowind completely lets you go on your own and do whatever you like. It is funny but there is a true sense of adventure when you explore this huge, and I mean MASSIVE world. You could get lost. completely lost, and then suddenly find a dungeon with great loot or run into some adventurer who needs a little help...I mean, the game is so open ended that you might feel overwhelmed, and that is the reason why I started disliking it after G2, which is more focused, and definitely much smaller game world. Anyhow, the new expansions just make the world an even larger place and there are several new landscapes that you can visit giving the game and its areas a truly unique feel.
Give it a shot, just don't think you'll have the same experience you've had with G2. It is not a better game, it is just a different game and a very entertaining one at that.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:23 pm
Razer
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Try Jedy Academy.If you liked Jedy Outcast you will like this game as well
Just give it a tryif you haven't plaied it yet.It's about 5-8 hours of play.
It will keep you busy
Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:13 am
Razer
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Or would you rather learn German?
Your choice
Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:15 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

just be warned of morrowwind it gets really boring.
the land is far to large for you to be able to get anything accomplished.
the combat system is terrible, and i dont mean like gothic terrible where you just need some time to get used to it, i mean like foriegn art film terrible where you want to go yack after you see it.
the towns are impossible to find your way around in, everything looks the same as long as your in the same area.
the load times are hideous, and it made my comp chug worse the g2 did in khorinis.

as you can see i hate the game, and i could go on for a few more lines but i wont
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:44 am
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

I found the constant loading in Morrowind rediculous, and that's with 512meg memory and performing all the tweaks listed in forums. I hope they don't make any more games with that engine.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:08 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

System Shock 2, Thief 1 and 2, and Deus Ex are SciFi, Medieval, CyberPunk adventure/RPG in the spirit of Gothic like games. Try out all the demos free off the net.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:28 am
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

While I understand your gripes against Morrowind, I believe that if you appraoched the game differently you'd have a better time with it. You see, the style of play resembles something like Everquest, only with a single player focus and a much more fleshed out storyline. Just like in EQ, you can spend days just raising skills by running, swimming, or jumping. You can also spend months just collecting books based on Morrowind lore or plants and ingredients for brewing your own potions. The possibilities are endless. You could literally spend most of your game time without even starting the game's main quest, and believe me when I tell you that some of the sub quests are just as intricate as the main story. What is hard to comprehend at times is that it is a game, a single player game and should be played as a MMORPG. It is hard to compare it to G2 just because they are soooo different.

While every opinion should be respected , I must disagree with your comments about the combat system in Morrowind. It is no Soul Calibur, but then again, it is not meant to be that either. Just last night I had a long drawn out battle against a Daedra. My block skill is high enough that I would effectively block his attacks often, but my strength was not very high. He also had a shield so the battle took almost 4 minutes of constant bashing, just trying to get through each other's defenses. By the time I was done I had to make it back to one of the many towns and fix my equipment because it had taken a lot of punishment. This is high adventure at its finest.

With all due respect (I am a huge G2 fan) I have never experienced this intensity in Gothic 2. I was clearly overpowered, but having a high block skill got me through. Another really cool aspect of Morrowind is that there are many different races and political factions that affect the way the world percieves you. Every town has a distinct feel, and there are dungeons scattered all over the world. The world is so fully ealized that it will take you a long time just to understand who is who and what does what.

as I said before, if you have the time to invest in a game you should give this a shot. I ignored it at first, even came close to hating it at some point until I really sat down with it and appreciated the game for what it is.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:18 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Leandar
With all due respect (I am a huge G2 fan) I have never experienced this intensity in Gothic 2.

I did. It just depends on who you fight against and when. I always use bows - other weapons are just too heavy - and had a very tough fight against two skeleton lords in one of the later chapters. Took me one day (!) in-game to beat them, and they almost got me a few times. Very rewarding.
Another story I read about was someone fighting several minutes against Rod, the guy with the two handed sword.

As for Morrowind, I have the collector's edition, but never really played it. I probably will some time, I guess, when I'm in the mood for some aimless adventuring.
Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:04 am
Bombadill
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Genesis
hm...
- arx fatalis (you can get the demo on the gothic start screen)
- morrowind
- star wars galaxies
- neverwinter nights

Ok, I have purchased Arx Fatalis. I tried the demo for NWN but that were not for me. I was to much........stuff. The thing i liked about G2 was the simplicity of the gameplay, in NWN it was to much to consider, to technical. There was all this information on the screen. I like the 3-person style in G2. It compare to an "FPS" with roleplaying-elements, or an RPG with "FPS-elements" if you want. The combat system in G2 is not "hacknslash" since you have to block and know the tricks of you opponent. And you can combind tricks with the sword as you get better.

I hope Arx Fatalis is more like G2
Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:39 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I think Arx is more like Morrowind. I only played the demo of the game so I can't really give an honest opinion. As for Morrowind though, I used to own it till I snapped the cd in half. This has got to be the worst game ever created. There is far too much reading involved and more then 90% of it is uninteresting. The game is way too time consuming, so if you work or have somewhat of a social life, stay far away. Sorry to those who actually played through it and are reading this. My advice to you is too wait till the Gothic addon is released in enlgish. There is no rpg game that even comes close to the greatness of Gothic 2, so you can end your search now. The only other game that looks something like it is ultima Ascension. Unfortunatly, I can't find this game anywhere.
Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:51 pm
Bombadill
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Is this the game you mean?

www.ultima-ascension.com

It can be bought from the site. It was easy to find so it`s problery not the right game

What is so great about it anyway??
Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:09 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next