impossible to delete gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
jax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

impossible to delete gothic

The problem that l'm having is deleting the first gothic game out of my computer.I have windows xp and l deleted all files & folders from the program files,l then received a message that some of the folders could be attached to other programs.l then went to add & remove programs l highlight gothic it performs the install shield program l then get a window which has three options modify.repair and remove.l click on removed however it doesn't remove gothic from the add & remove program.l feel l shouldn't be getting this window.any comments would be greatly helpful.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:06 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Remove all Gothic entries from the Windows registry, and the uninstall entry will disappear. Be careful, though, as tempering with the registry is not recommended for anybody less than above avarage. And, of course, if you have Gothic 2 installed as well, forget all about this post.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:10 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I agree with hwfanatic about not to tamper in the registry, i have had this problem several times, this is what i do, (and i know that hwfanatic will agree)

*re-install the game to the same folder, it will override any previous installed files* - - then delete it through add & remove programs.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:45 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
(and i know that hwfanatic will agree)
Yeah, that should do the trick.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:14 pm
jax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

re:gothic uninstalling problem

Thanks for the quick response.Actually that's exactly what l did .l went into the registery and highlighted piranha-bytes.clicked the edit and clicked delete and for some reason or other.l still can't delete it from add & remove programs.l also tried to reinstall the game .It shows the install wizard,but l get that window screen with the three options (modify,repair and remove).The game won't install.l had the same problem with arx fatalis where l can't install the game after l delete it.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:10 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I had to go in and delete the JoWood files manually to get it all out of my system. But it worked then.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:35 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Okay, then try to locate the uninstaller application. When you find it, delete it, and then try to uninstall it via Control Panel. When Windows XP finds out the application is missing it will offer to remove the entry from the list.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:51 pm
jax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re:gothic uninstalling problem

what l did was access the"search option" to try to locate the uninstall program.l tried everything from putting in gothic uninstall to gothic maintenence.Still no luck trying to delete this program from the add & remove program.Please keep in mind that all gothic program files are deleted.so l'm pondering if l can't delete gothic from the add & remove program,should l just leave it for now.Also,would there be another way to get gothic to install (ie: setup.exe)maybe l can bypass something on the disk.Once again thanks to all of you for your excellent attention to my concern.
Be Well,
Jax
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:05 pm
jax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re:gothic uninstalling problem

what l did was access the"search option" to try to locate the uninstall program.l tried everything from putting in gothic uninstall to gothic maintenence.Still no luck trying to delete this program from the add & remove program.Please keep in mind that all gothic program files are deleted.so l'm pondering if l can't delete gothic from the add & remove program,should l just leave it for now.Also,would there be another way to get gothic to install (ie: setup.exe)maybe l can bypass something on the disk.Once again thanks to all of you for your excellent attention to my concern.
Be Well,
Jax
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:06 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Well, about nine tenths of the uninstaller applications are called "uninstall.exe" so searching will not do the trick. Look for specific location, like c:\program files\jowood\gothic\ or such.

A sidentoe: The only way the installer is to know whether you have Gothic already or not on your system is by scanning the registry for known entries, so you should really try to get it clean. Search for everything with next keywords: Gothic, Jowood and Piranha. If you have no other product published by Jowood, do not hesitate to delete all the entries. Also, cleaning the temporary files folder would not do harm, as installers tend to reside there.

Last edited by hwfanatic on Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:17 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Did you do the search option for the JoWood files? As I said I had the same problem, and once I removed them through seach, the game would reinstall. They do not get uninstalled when you uninstall the game. At least the two times I did it they were still in there.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:18 pm
jax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

re:uninstalling problem w/gothic

Okay,this is what l did.l went into the registry and found "piranha-bytes,gothic and the patch 1.08h".l hightlight piranha bytes clicked edit and then delete and they vanished.l then opened add & remove programs.highlighted "gothic" the installshield window opened.lt once again brought me to the modify,repair or remove screen .l clicked remove.gothic still wouldn't delete.The strange thing about this is l went back into the registry and piranha bytes,gothic and the patch reappeared .Am l deleting these keys correctly?If not,how do l do it.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:38 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Okay, I haven't got Gothic installed right now, so I'm talking by heart. But, it doesn't really matter, as the principle varies very little from installer to installer... I am once again recommending next steps:

- Empty the temorary files' folders, such as "c:\windows\temp" and "c:\documents and settings\jax\local settings\temp"

- Search for files and folders with strings like "gothic", "jowood" and "piranha" and delete them all

- Perform another, more extensive search of the registry, as this is the most important part. Apart from searchign with the above strings, you may try as well with "uninstall". If the string that shows up is connected to a familiar key name, delete it

This can not fail if you do it right. No installer keeps his files at a secret location, and no installer is smart enough to outwit a human... After you have done this, attempting to run the unisntaller from the add & remove applet should result in the system offering you to remove the entry. If this doesn't happen, you haven't cleaned the system yet.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:17 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The manual uninstall procedure has been posted years ago. Use the search function.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:52 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

There is nothing like a word from the developer.
quote:
Originally posted by Nico Bendlin
How to manually uninstall Gothic...

stop here if you are not familar with Windows and regedit

- Run RegEdit.exe and goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
- search for 'gothic' - you should find an subkey where 'DisplayName' = 'Gothic'
- remember the GUID (the name of the subkey you found - {BBF10B37-4ED3-11D5-A818-00500435FC18} )
- delete the subkey you found
- delete the folder [programs]\InstallShield Installation Information\[GUID]

If you installed the patch - do the same for 'DisplayName' = 'Gothic_Patch'

Finally delete the gothic folder and the entries in the startmenu.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:06 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next