Usergroups
what r u playing right NOW?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Only really been playing the Thief 3 demo and good old Die By The Sword recently. My graphics drivers were playing up for a while, resulting in a gaming hiatus. Now I have a ridiculous backlog of games-in-progress and games-bought-but-not-played:

Beyond Good & Evil partway through (brilliant game)
Planescape: Torment 2nd go, about halfway through
UFO Aftermath barely started
In Memoriam bought but not played yet
Throne of Darkness (ditto)
Anachronox (ditto)
Arcanum (ditto)
Gothic 2 (ditto, but borrowed from a friend)

And Home Of The Underdogs isn't helping matters! I need a time machine.
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:15 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
My list of not-yet-through-with games right now:

Deus Ex- IW - done
Söldner
Turok Evolution
Far Cry
Thief: Deadly Shadows

Fixed .
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:03 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

What did you think of DX:IW, Jaz?
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:10 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Actually I liked it a lot. See my reasons over at the DX forum.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:14 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

Max Payne 2 and Gothic Mod Diccuric.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:28 pm
Loveshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Civilization 3 : Conquests

then I am gonna play Planescape Torment for the first time.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:55 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
My list of not-yet-through-with games right now:

Söldner
Turok Evolution
Far Cry
Thief: Deadly Shadows - done

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:42 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Why the unhappy face Jaz? Is it because of finishing the Thief trilogy, or were you disappointed with the game?

I'm playing Way of the Samurai on PS2 at the moment. Certainly not the best game I've ever played, but the basic structure is great - it's a story-led game, and that story lasts only two days (you can play it from start to finish in a couple of hours). If you die, you can't go back to an earlier save, so each game really is a self-contained version of the story, and there are enough parallel paths, actions and affiliations to choose from that replays are sufficiently varied and give you an interesting range of perspectives on the events & characters. Jaz, your comments in the DX:IW review thread leads me to believe you might find this game of interest. Certainly has its faults, but I think I like it enough to buy the recent sequel (might wait for a price drop though - I got this one for £2.97!)
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:44 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Because of finishing the trilogy. I love the Thief world so much so I had been really looking forward to this game, and I liked the little bit I was able to glimpse at last year's GC trade fair. A lot.
Now that I finally got it, I couldn't stop playing once I had started, even though I knew I'd better stop to save a bit for another day. Well, I was through in somewhat over a week (yes, I know, that's not fast, but in relation to my absolutely non-existent spare time is was superfast, and not because the game was short - in fact, I had the impression that it wasn't). The ending made me feel all empty and depressed, usually a good sign. T3 was the first game for this year (and probably last year, too) that managed to do this for me.

Sure, the game had both pros and cons, but - to quote myself - "showeth me the game that hath no flaws". Or some such .

Heck, I'm still a bit sad that it's over. I can't bring myself to carry on with FarCry.

Way of the Samurai sure sounds as if it was to my gusto . Thanks for the tip!
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:37 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I've just spotted Way of the Samurai 2 going cheap on EBay. I'm gonna keep my eye on it and snap it up if it stays low.

I'm looking forward to T3 myself. I've played the demo, but I'm not going to allow myself to play the full game til I've completed T2 (I really don't know why, because I absolutely love the game, but I have never finished it).

Did you ever try any of the fan-made content for Deus Ex? I never got round to it, but I heard that "Zodiac" and "Cassandra Project" were very good (I think those are the right names). Maybe they could distract you from missing Garrett!
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:12 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Ummm... you haven't finished T2 by now? Jeez . I played all the Thief games when they came out at my place, the first one by accident...

My hubby got it for his birthday, but he's not really into 1st person action games unless they are multiplayer, while I play everything I can lay my hands on (or rather, played everything I got my hands on, because, as I said, my time is very limited nowadays). Well, when he still hadn't opened the case after a few days I decided to install it on my machine and have a look. Needless to say I was blown away - it was the most intense computer gaming experience I had ever made. I even overclocked my measly CPU so the machine wouldn't stand still each time I raised an alert!
When I stumbled over T2 in our store the day it was delivered, I snatched one box and played through it as fast as I could. T2's enemies were my personal favorites, mainly because I have an intense love/hate relationship with all things mechanical...

Now to fan mods in general. It might surprise you or not, but usually I'm not a fan of mods unless they are total conversions, no matter how good they might be... I'm pretty conservative when it comes to games. I want to remember my games the way they came out of the box, because for me the original is everything. I may have my own fantasies in a given gaming universe, sure, but I don't want a part of somebody else's.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:58 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Ummm... you haven't finished T2 by now? Jeez .

Shocking, isn't it? My priorities are all wrong!

Well, I'm not sure if those Deus Ex mods would ruin your memory of the great game or not, but here's a snippet about Cassandra Project (homepage) for anyone who is interested:
quote:
The Cassandra Project is a single-player modification based on a relatively simple analysis of Deus Ex and the contemporary state of videogames. For our purposes, Deus Ex was about two things.

1. Freedom
2. The re-contextualisation of the Adventure game into a first-person perspective.

Since we have no interest in doing something that isn't obviously related intellectually to Deus Ex - and, to a lesser degree, other games of the Looking Glass Aesthetic (e.g. Thief, System Shock) - these two elements will be maintained foremost in the minds of the assorted subroutines in the creation process.

...and Zodiac (homepage) - I think you will be particularly averse to this one, Jaz, as you play the role of Paul Denton and it is clearly set in the same world:
quote:
ZODIAC is a set of six single player missions for Deus Ex.

As Paul Denton, the augmented brother of the infamous JC Denton, you will:

* Discover why the President is risking a nuclear confrontation.
* Break into CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia to uncover some of the world's best kept secrets.
* Solve the mystery of dozens of missing UNATCO troops.
* Use all-new weapons and meet new characters.
* Travel to new locations including:
CIA Headquarters
Buenos Aires
Page Biotech
Holloman Air Force Base
And more!

Zodiac made it to two episodes, CP only one. Don't know if they're still underway, or have been abandoned. I might give CP a try, at least. Zodiac sounds less interesting, but I guess it's all in the execution. I never get around to checking out mods as much as I'd like, but I did try a few fan-made Thief missions after I'd finished the first game, and I must say I was very impressed - there were a handful that were at least equal in size, complexity & quality to the official missions. Some really good work, especially considering how difficult the editor was to learn.

Anyone know if Thief 3 supports new maps/mods?
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:59 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

AFAIK there's no editor as of yet, but there's a petition for editing tools:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83807&page=1&pp=25
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:49 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I must say I'm surprised to see an Unreal-based game without mod tools in this day and age

Cheers for the link Jaz, mine was the 6069th signature.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

Attempted to play Diablo again but got bored. Starting playing Bard's Tale I. The first CRPG I ever played, but I don't think I'll go pass level 99 for the heck of it again.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:47 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 36, 37, 38  Next