Where's the big money in this game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Where's the big money in this game?

I've never had more than 2500 gold pieces, and at the moment I have 900, at level 13. Because my character is a spellsword, she doesn't have a huge carrying strength, and because she is not a thief, she can't sneak and pickpocket. So although I'm well into the game, I rarely have enough money to buy any but the lower level spells, which isn't so great for a mage.

I'm going to leave all my stuff in the mage HQ in Ald'ruhn for now so I can carry more stuff out of the next quest, but even so, carrying 100 pounds of stuff to make 100 gold coins doesn't seem worth it. So, is there anywhere in this game where a lot of goodies can be found?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 5:21 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

My problem is: I have a warrior with plenty of strength, who can carry lots of stuff. Some of this stuff is very expensive. Problem is merchants I've found so far rarely have more than 2500 in gold, so selling a 10,000 gold item to them is out of the question.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 6:07 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I think it is the Bren Plantation around Pelagiad. I was doing one of the last quest for the Thieves Guild and found like 7500 in a chest. I think there are two locked and trapped doors and a locked chest to get through to get it...not to mention the MoraTong Guild twins
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:52 pm

Get this! I gotten many items I cant cash for reasons of cheap vendors( deadric weps in the 40thousand range!)

But figure this ! I did a Azur god quest and she gave me a star soul gem worth 5k, i trapped a Golden Saint in it and guess what the value of that baby is !!??? 2,000,000 !!! I guess that is something I will just have to set on a shelf some where, cause there aint no cashin it on this Island!!
Post Tue May 21, 2002 8:34 pm

DM
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Just keep it lying about until you find something in a shop you need and want, then trade. Try to make maximum value from it. Just remember that stuff do no good lying about, so why not trade it for something you want instead, even if it means forfeiting 20k gold you can't cash anyway...
Post Tue May 21, 2002 8:48 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I have a chest full of stuff in the mage guild in Ald'ruhn. Is it safe or do I need a lock spell? Or does this game respawn like M&M?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 10:33 pm

The Orcs up near the North Coast of Shoerguard, near Ushilaku camp.
Or just kill stuff in a Daedra Shrine. There are forts littered throughout the land with Orcs and other medium powered enemies with $1000+ items.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 11:09 pm

Charlesrp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There is a pulgin called "Zed" in the pulgin forms that puts a merchant with 1,000,000 gold in Balmora. I think that the lack of gold in the game is unbalanced and therefore the plugin is not technically cheating!
Post Wed May 22, 2002 1:38 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

It's especially bad for a mage, if you can never have enough money to buy any of the good spells, and they aren't just lying around to find, either. If you can't accumulate enough gold to BUY the spells, you should at least have the chance to find them in dungeons. Not just the one time only variety, but the permanent ones. Else, how to gain power as a mage?

Also, I've found a green glass dagger worth 4,000, but nobody has that much money to buy it from me. THis is really not balanced, as the dagger is of no use as a weapon. If it were the best weapon in the game, fine, but it's just a lousy dagger.

THis is one thing about this game that doesn't make any sense.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 5:36 am
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

There is a vendor in Caldera that will buy your 4k dagger at full price. A cut little guy that likes to beat a drum
Post Wed May 22, 2002 7:16 am
kamenjar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The real oney for me comes with Alchemy (YES THERE IS MONEY FOR MAGES!) so that I never care about money any more. It just requires a bit of work.

When I walk around I buy ingredients that cost 1 septim and I collect them in my chest (with all the loot weapons that I never sell and lay out nicely on the tables). When I am ready I make like 100+ potions and go sell them to the Creeper in Caldera. Each potion of fortify fatigue (easy to make) I make (Int 95, Alchemy 70+ 2 grandmasters items and two masters items) costs 150+ septims and weighs 0.0 to 0.3.

I just sell them to the creeper for 5000... Wait 24 hrs in front of him... Sell...

Cool eh?
Post Wed May 22, 2002 11:34 pm
Krystoff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How to make some extra dough w/out cheating!

Ok, I learned this little trick from this forum so I'll give it back.

The best part is that it is not cheating! No plugins or construction set needed.

First off, you will need to have several things worth money.
Next you will need to find Creeper in Caldera (Hes a scamp in the Ghorak Manor) he has 5k in cash on him for bartering and the best part is, he will always give full price for everything.

So say you found a Ebony Helm worth 15k. You also happen to have 10k soul gems worth 1k each. Here is the order in which to get all 15k for your Ebony Helm.

Find the scamp and sell 5 of your soul gems to him for 5k. (Any item worth 5k or adding up to 5k works here)

Next, go outside and rest for 24 hours.

Go back to the scamp and sell your remaining 5 soul gems for 5k. The scamp now has 10k worth of soul gems on him.

Go back outside and rest one more day.

Go inside one last time and barter your ebony helm for 10k worth of soul gems and 5k in cash.

You now have 15k in cash, 10k in sould gems and are minus one helm. You can do this for most items that are high dollar amounts. AS long as you have enough items worth 5k to trade to the scamp.

Enjoy and get rich!
Post Wed May 22, 2002 11:37 pm
kamenjar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

BTW... You don't have to rest outside in Caldera. You can just click "Wait" and wait for 24 hours right in front of "Mr. Creeper".

And Alchemy is straight way of making money (unless you consider cheating - stealing Grandmaster's mortar from Balmora early in the game)
Post Wed May 22, 2002 11:53 pm
Ostrich

I was frustrated by the lack of ability to sell high price items as well, so I modded the creeper to have 500,000 gold on him. You can download at:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/ostrich/morrowind/scamp_moneybags.esp

Its up to the individual how they want to play the game, so download if you wish to use.

Ost
Post Thu May 23, 2002 12:13 am

Necrox

ABout the scamp/soul gem thing THATS fair play. The rest with those cheat progs sin't. You know there IS a reason the don't have the money - it's not LACK of balance it's BALANCE. First of all - let's look at it realistically: in this world you can have a LONGSWORD for 20 gold. Now if you were to get a longsword in our world it might be around 125 USD roughly. So a merchant with 5000 gold would be the same as a merchant with about 31250 USD - now. How many general stores do you know who has that kind of money in the register?
Also it's probably a balance made to make sure that you aren't instantly the richest guy in Morrowind just because you find one Daedra katana. It'll still cost you work.
My main char (a lvl 20 fighter) has about 30K on him, but that's through advanced trading, like the scamp trick only I didn't know him, so instead I did it with the armorer in the Balmora fighers guild. His reaction to me was 100% and he has 2500 in stash so he's an ok guy to trade with.

So to round this off: Yes using a hack to give merchants more money IS cheating.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 9:20 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next