Usergroups
What are you reading now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'm currently reading Karen Traviss "Republic Commando: Hard Contact" which is surpisingly good for a game franchise book (and far better than most of the 'regular' SW novels of the last few years). But perhaps that's just because I like well-written military fiction in general .
Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:00 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Count Zero by William Gibson

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:02 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Blood Follows by Steven Erickson
(Its a novella set in Malazan)
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:46 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I'm currently reading Karen Traviss "Republic Commando: Hard Contact" which is surpisingly good for a game franchise book (and far better than most of the 'regular' SW novels of the last few years). But perhaps that's just because I like well-written military fiction in general .
That *was* pretty good - both in terms of howit represents the Clones, and also the Jedi. I liked that.

I also liked some other of the 'lead-up' books - 'Yoda: Dark Rendezvous' and 'Labyrinth of Evil' were also very well done.

I'm reading 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' with the family now, which prompted me to go back and re-read 'Order of the Phoenix' on my own. It is fun - I read aloud to my wife and the boys, which I've been doing since the first book, but now that they are old enough to read them on their own, they *still* want me doing the reading - they like my voice characterizations.

I have also been reading 'A House for Mr. Biswas' by V. S. Naipaul. I had been wanting to read this for years, having loved his 'Guerillas' and 'A Bend in the River', both of which I've re-read several times over the last 20 or so years. Of course, now that he has won the Nobel Prize for literature, they repack the books at twice the price.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:44 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, since the horrible, horrible NJO book I couldn't finish because it bored me to death I haven't touched another Star wars novel. I had nearly missed Hard Contact as well hadn't I recerived it as a gift. I agree, Hard Contact lived from its excellent characterization... most probably because there was no major SW character in it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the sequel, Triple Zero, which will be published in March.

Right now I'm reading Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:18 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
horrible NJO book.
I believe you are being redundent here ... NJO == horrible. For many Star Wars fans, NJO is the anti-Star Wars ...

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:02 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz

That is an awesome title. Sounds like H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomican mixed with codes. Is that cyberpunk like his other book Snow Crash?
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:40 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@txa: But the NJO book in question was more horrible than those before, I believe its title was 'Traitor'.

@Kengo: So far it's about WWII and Turing machines and (style-wise) not the most enjoyable of reads, but the main story will take part in the present I think. I'll tell you more once I'm finished... which might take a while, it's a big, fat book and I'm on a tight schedule.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:52 am
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I read every Star Wars novel released until NJO came around. I haven't read a Star Wars novel since.
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:01 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You should read Hard Contact then... it'smore than just a class above the NJO novels.
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:52 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Amber and Ashes: The Dark Disciple Vol. 1
This is the first Dragonlance novel that I've read in years. I'm actually enjoying it. It's rather different from all of the others. Who knew that gods and goddesses could be such interesting characters?
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:29 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

City Come A-Walkin
by John Shirley

This is a cyberpunk classic. So many later books stole ideas from this unique book. Especially the mirror-shades!

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:31 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Kengo, I think I might give that novel a try. Looks good.

I'm reading Moby Dick for the second time around. Like other countless Americans, I read it in high school and didn't quite get it then. Several English classes and years later, I've come back, and I'm really enjoying it. I can see where Melville was influenced by Shakespeare (I am a Shakespeare devotee) and theater (which I used to think was boring, but now have a fascination for) and even appreciate his oft-hated cetology chapters. Sometimes when you read the dialogue, it sounds overworked and ornate, but when you read it aloud, it's magnificent. It's an experiment, but one that I believe works in the end.

Some weeks ago, I finished Perdido Street Station. Despite the lovely setting, I cannot recommend this novel, except to those who can stand half-arsed plots, illogical, flat characters, and constant frustration, first from the author's thinly disguised Marxist propaganda & bias (which he didn't even justify within the context of the novel, so it felt forced and unnatural) and second from the use of the F-word in nearly every sentence. It is an utter disappointment.

Finished William Manchester's biography of Douglas MacArthur: American Caesar. Really liked it, and gave insight into a forgotten and controversial man.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:39 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

quote:
Originally posted by Kengo
quote:
Originally posted by Jaz

That is an awesome title. Sounds like H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomican mixed with codes. Is that cyberpunk like his other book Snow Crash?

Hmm... I read this some years ago. It is an OK read, but my biggest complaint (as with most any Neal Stephenson book) is the ending.

This book actually stopped me from reading any of his more recent novels, as I just didn't feel like it was worth the effort after all was said and done.

-vaticide
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:36 pm
rrreese
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Hmm... I read this some years ago. It is an OK read, but my biggest complaint (as with most any Neal Stephenson book) is the ending.

I agree his endings arnt that stong, but his plotting and writing more then make up for it in my opinion.
Post Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:28 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next