Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Bioware and Obsidian, what they're cooking?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Bioware and Obsidian, what they're cooking?

From last year press release:

quote:
...August 6th, 2002 – BioWare Corp. today announced that they are working on two new games, both roleplaying games based on two new intellectual properties, created and owned by BioWare. The first of the two un-named titles in production is being developed for the Xbox, the second for the PC.

So it's clear two totally new game for two different gaming platforms.

quote:
August 6, 2003 ...Two currently untitled projects, one an Xbox title (to be published by Microsoft), the other a PC title (no publisher yet announced), both featuring original BioWare intellectual properties, are also in development.

So things still the same one year later...but...

quote:
“A collaboration with BioWare gives Obsidian the opportunity to explore development projects on established game franchises with proven technology and brand loyalty from the fan community. This is an excellent opportunity for a new studio looking to make an immediate impact in the market,”

Okay, the "established game franchises" + "proven technology" + brand loyalty" sound rather clear indication that either Bioware and Obsidian are collaborating to do an expansion, or sequel for already released & successful game titles like expansion for KoTOR or sequel NWN 2.

I bet most likely an expansion for KoTOR, since KoTOR sells extremely well right now. Then they will release an GOTY version for Xboxers which including the expansion, just like Morrowind.

However...

quote:
Obsidian is currently working on an unannounced role-playing game for the PC and console platforms.

Is that KoTOR expansion? (PC + Xbox), or whatever the heck they're collaborating to do, or it's another new title by Obsidian?
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:10 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Well, I agree with your logic and look forward to seeing what's actually happening. Another (remote) possibility is simply a NWN exapnsion like Undrentide. It's interesting to see almost a role reversal, with Feargus previously being Bioware's publisher.

I wonder what Feargus saw down the track when he first talked to a little development house with a RTS demo called 'Infinity Battlegrounds' those years ago?

Still, I can't help but think Bioware are mainstreaming more and more and I really look forward to what Brian Fargo's InXile (great name) will do with Wasteland and Bard's Tale.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:26 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Did they have “torn”? Maybe is completely new universe, with snamuh, sevle and sfrawd, to be very unique?
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:16 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
...Another (remote) possibility is simply a NWN exapnsion like Undrentide.

Yes there is another (second) expansion for NWN called Hordes of the Underdark by Bioware themselves, but that is for PC only.

quote:
...Still, I can't help but think Bioware are mainstreaming more and more and I really look forward to what Brian Fargo's InXile (great name) will do with Wasteland and Bard's Tale.

That's why Bioware now can dances with ton of money! So far i take it as good news. The success of KoTOR only solidifying Bioware as leading RPGs developer, and Bioware will continue consider RPGs (refer to both PC or consoles in this discusssion) as economically viable genre. Also, the mainstreaming efforts will popularizing the RPG genre so that more gamers become RPG player, and more developers consider developing a new RPGs for PC or consoles.

Bioware apparently lucky (or deservingly) gotten themselves a license to make KoTOR, using well known Star Wars universe which automatically open up to the lucrative mainstream market. Plus, with the success of KoTOR, Bioware also sucessfully branching out & established itself among one of the many consoles market.

I am aware most hardcore CRPGs player would become suspicious because of the PC vs Consoles stuff, and "what about traditional/hardcore (turn-based, etc) RPGs?." Remember Diablo series by Blizzard?, i think that was first big push in popularizing (mainstreaming) CRPGs but that title is hated among hardcore RPG players.

As for Fargo's InXile with the Wasteland and Bard's Tale titles, i'm excited too. Hope everything working out alright. Same to Obsidian, hope they can established their name among RPGs player & community with the help from Bioware. Heck, don't forget Troika too, i think they done pretty well so far, with the nice TOEE title as hardcore CRPGs project, plus Vampire: Bloodlines which is still in the pipeline. And while Black Isle is working on Fallout 3, we still got Larian Studios working on Riftrunner, and planned Divine Divinty 2, plus Arkane Studios on Arx Fatalis Xbox and Arx Fatalis sequel, not including Piranha Bits with Gothic 3..... Hell, what about Bethesda who just finish their expansion, i'm sure now they are not running around naked doing nothing - expect TES 4 to arrives on 2007...

Based on that, i think generally single player RPGs (PC + consoles) are in good state, compare to for example just 2 years ago. So why would anyone still think SP RPGs (also SP CRPGs) is in dire position?, or complaining "too many MMORPGS with too few SP CRPGs?"...
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:12 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

The future looks very promising!
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:20 am
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Based on that, i think generally single player RPGs (PC + consoles) are in good state, compare to for example just 2 years ago. So why would anyone still think SP RPGs (also SP CRPGs) is in dire position?, or complaining "too many MMORPGS with too few SP CRPGs?"...

Because sod all SP RPGs have been released recently, while there have been a number of MMORPG releases. The last game I bought (apart from expansions) was Divine Divinity, and that must have been nearly a year ago. Now look what's happened to me. I've been reduced to talking about RPGs on forums like this, when last year I was too busy playing them.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:46 am
Dhruin

Well, I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. Despite previously being a little dubious about Bioware's involvement, I've just posted the news that Obsidian's other founders are also ex-Black Islanders and include legends like Chris Avellone and Chris Parker plus the well repected Darren Monahan and Chris Jones.

@Remus, I'm one of those cranky 'hardcore' players that sneers at Bioware's consumerisation...but the truth is you're quite right: even though I'd like to see more TB ISO games, Bioware's success is generally a good thing.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:11 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

ACK! !!W00t!! !

Who is Obsidian Entertainment?

Feargus Urquhart, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan, Chris Avellone and Chris Jones.

Poor Interplay & Black Isle, they lost Brian Fargo (InXile) and many other people...

P.S: Hey, anyone notice the jobs page? It seem written by someone with very good sense of humor. Could it be Mr. Chris Avellone?. I like a new CRPGs with wacky dialogs & interesting story.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:45 am
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Well, I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. Despite previously being a little dubious about Bioware's involvement, I've just posted the news that Obsidian's other founders are also ex-Black Islanders and include legends like Chris Avellone and Chris Parker plus the well repected Darren Monahan and Chris Jones.

These are the guys behind Planescape: Torment, aren't they? This is fricking awesome news. But doesn't this make Obsidian "Black Islier" than the real Black Isle? Even the name is similar.

I just hope they aren't working on another Forgotten Realms D&D game. It might help them sell their crucial first game, but I would think that Bioware's name on the box is enough of a boost by itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Hey, anyone notice the jobs page? It seem written by someone with very good sense of humor. Could it be Mr. Chris Avellone?. I like a new CRPGs with wacky dialogs & interesting story.

Well regardless of who wrote it, I want that job! Unfortunately I don't have the right qualifications or experience. Or USA citizenship. But I do love RPGs in non-disturbing ways.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:46 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by ThouShaltNot
...But I do love RPGs in non-disturbing ways.

I love both ways.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:09 pm
Dinzy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I originally feared that this would just mean more console games but this thread makes me a bit more optimistic. Hopefully they will announce something soon.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:39 pm