BBC: Revenge of the Sith a 'Bloodbath'
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

BBC: Revenge of the Sith a 'Bloodbath'

Heh. Initial press impressions at the BBC are painting Revenge of the Sith as a dark, menacing, bloodbath and that PG-13 might not be strong enough for the general release.

Wow. I'm hoping the version the press got to see is the version that hits theaters. I hope George Lucas doesn't chicken out and stays true to his vision for the movie.

I mock any who think a movie called "Revenge of the Sith" that documents the transformation of a man from adrenaline-junkie warrior to "Guy who overthrows and slaughters 25,000 year old order of peacekeepers' should be about fuzzy happy huggy bunnies and pod racing with a 'yippee' thrown in.

Don't be afraid of even an M, Mr Lucas, the kids don't bring in as much money as the adult fans.

(note I didn't link the article because of some info that could be considered spoilers)

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu May 05, 2005 2:59 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Awesome! That's what I want to hear Xen!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu May 05, 2005 3:04 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Yes, Yes, Yes, There must be much blood shed by man in shiny, black helmet.

I don't even care if this movie has dialogue. I only want to hear the sounds of women and children begging and dying;-- the souls of men gasping and stuggling to come to terms with their futile efforts to protect their loved ones from the unstoppable juggenaut;-- the old men shedding tears as they see their grandchildren murdered and their life's work destroyed and their inheritances pass away from their children and their wives of many years slowly choked to death before their very eyes;-- the new mother trembling in fear as she feels the darkness falling to completely consume the once bright and hopeful future of her new born child;-- the breaking of the new husband's bones and spirit as the house he worked so hard to by for his new wife is taken to be used as a playground for agents of the dark side.
Post Thu May 05, 2005 7:17 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

@ Darrius Cole are you Darrius´ evil alter ego or is this your true dark side that finally reveals itself?
Post Thu May 05, 2005 8:22 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Sadly, there is probably dialogue in this movie.
Post Fri May 06, 2005 9:34 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Well, if Lucas consults the writers who write for Clone Wars (the animated series) the dialog will be just fine. The show fills in so much of what happens between the start of the wars (end of Ep II) and the end of the war (Ep III). It's a really enjoyable series of shorts... I can't wait to get them all on a DVD and watch them back to back (should be about 2-3 hours ... another Star Wars movie in effect).

And Darius is unlikely to see Vader hack down the general populace ... he never did that. He killed anyone who got in his way and hunted the Jedi down and killed them. Vader certainly shed no tears when Alderaan was destroyed, placed no value at all on life until the end, and didn't shy from torture ... but the general populace was likely quite safe from his wrath. In a slap to the extended-universe's face Lucas made marriage taboo (since attachment can easily cloud judgement) so he probably won't be cutting down jedi families.

Now, he would cut down the jedi children that Yoda was training in Ep II. I doubt they'll show it, though.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri May 06, 2005 12:53 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I hear they are. Not the actual slaughter of the children, but they are showing Anikin angry walking in on them, and later Yoda moving among their dead bodies.

Or that's what I heard, anyway. They mahe cut to for a T-for-Teen rating.
Post Fri May 06, 2005 1:52 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's PG-13 which means you can't directly show acts of violence against minors... however you can show bodies of minors. It shouldn't need to be cut if it's in there.

I still shake my head at those who are beginning to balk at the non-happy feeling of the movie. Vader is EVIL. He's not a hero in the slightest. He didn't force the Jedi order to go underground or disband it like some government: He KILLED them. Nearly to the last man, woman, and child. An order dedicated to using their powers for peace and the good of the Republic for 25,000 years... wiped out in a compartive blink of an eye.

As soon as he turns to the dark side he stops being Anakin and starts being Vader. The costume change isn't the moment of transformation... it's merely the last stage.

Post Fri May 06, 2005 2:22 pm
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

quote:
Originally posted by tolgerias
@ Darrius Cole are you Darrius´ evil alter ego or is this your true dark side that finally reveals itself?

@Tolgerias
I don't care, man, I LIKE this new side of his.

@EXen
God, man, you know how to a guy buy a ticket to the movie!

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Fri May 06, 2005 6:16 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Re: BBC: Revenge of the Sith a 'Bloodbath'

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Heh. Initial press impressions at the BBC are painting Revenge of the Sith as a dark, menacing, bloodbath and that PG-13 might not be strong enough for the general release.

Is it wrong for that sentance to bring a big, happy grin to my face?
Post Fri May 06, 2005 6:26 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I know that reviewers are prone to hyperbole ... especially when it comes to 'the big thing'... but I am hoping against hope that the initial impressions that various press agencies are running with are accurate.

I want it to be as rough for the good guys as it was in The Empire Strikes Back. Rougher if possible (and based on what I now know of the story from the Clone Wars cartoon it *should* be rougher).

13 days.

Post Fri May 06, 2005 6:34 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

This is neither my dark side or an evil alter ego. I merely want to see Vader live up to the billing he has received over the years as arguably the best villian of all time. The only survey I ever seen had him second of all-time across all movies. That's pretty good.

Enough of this Anakin business. Nobody cares about Anakin; nobody wants to see Anakin. Vader is who we want. When I see that movie I want to see one of the greatest villians of ALL TIME. I want to see a man in all black with a cape and shiny helmet chopping his way through a temple filled with Jedi. I want to hear Jedi saying, "I can't stop him." and "Why are you doing this." I want to see random ordinary citizen saying things like, "It is so awful that this
Vader person is taking over." The film has to show me why it is a bad thing that the Emperor took over.

1. He must kill people that don't deserve to be killed.
2. He must cause suffering in UNUSUALLY CRUEL WAYS.
3. He must perform a feats that no other villain has done.
Post Mon May 09, 2005 9:34 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

... but it won't. The Empire maintained the peace and prosperity of the Republic. Several powerful planets prospered.

The people who minded the most were the Jedi (wiped out nearly to the last), non-humans ("Hey, why did we just lose a bunch of civil rights and government contracts?"), and the Rebellion ("Hey, why did 2/3 the Republic just lose civil rights and government contracts? And why did they just kill all the peacemakers?").

Vader was not the most evil being in Star Wars. That went to the Emperor. Moff Tarkin may have been second if Vader wasn't. None of the people on the Death Star that were in the control room when Alderaan was destroyed were exactly saints... nor were the firing crew... nor were anyone else (There wasn't a report on-camera anyway of an adjucant running in and muttering 'Sir, the men aren't happy about this decision to destroy a planet of 4 billion civilians as a demonstration. There are riots on several decks."). Star Wars wins for unified evil empire military.

Where Vader shone was ruthlessness (and cool factor. Popularity is always dependant on cool factor). He had no tolerance for failure and killed admirals with a thought. His staff was terrified of him... the rebellion was terrified of him. Everyone was terrified of him.

He killed with little or no cause. He used torture several times. He didn't stop the death star from destroying Alderaan. He broke his word (or rather '... changed our agreement. Pray I do not change it any further') without pause. He froze Han as an experiment not truly caring if he lived or died. He brought his son before the man who had turned him to the dark side.

More things would make sense in movies if all evil henchmen were as menacing and competent as Darth Vader. Most are comic relief or Vader wannabes and the Vader wannabes tend to fail hard.

Except in anime, where it is commonplace to have the sub-villains be cooler than the main.

Post Tue May 10, 2005 2:19 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I'll be even more simple and clear about what I want.

MORE CHOPPING ACTION

Vader must show superior killing ability in order to earn the respect that he has been given in the thousands of "Darth Vader vs. whomever" topics that I have been in. He has to kill people who would be considered worthy.

MORE CHOPPING ACTION

Lucas, may not give it to me. Truth simply is what it is. But, if he doesn't I will consider it a failure. If he does give it to me, then it doesn't matter, what else he does give me the movie is a success, in my book. I need no dialogue just

MORE CHOPPING ACTION
Post Wed May 11, 2005 7:32 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Don't be afraid of even an M, Mr Lucas, the kids don't bring in as much money as the adult fans.

I don't think Lucas or anyone else in any industry believes this nowadays.
"Ooh, let's just cut this, this and this, so it is suitable for a larger group of people. More cash! $"

Forgive me, but I do not dare to hope that "Revenge of the Sith" will be as dark & cruel as I would like.

At least I'll see that stupid Anakin "die". Hm, maybe it was on purpose that Anakin was made such a disliked character? Now everyone will gladly see him turn to the Dark Side.
Post Wed May 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next