Prelude to Darkness: Full Version Downloadable
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Prelude to Darkness: Full Version Downloadable

We expected this a couple of months ago and eventually got a bit slack checking...back on the 11th <a href="http://www.zero-sum.com/" target="_blank">Zero Sum</a> released a full and updated version of their turn-based cRPG, 'Prelude to Darkness' - free to download. Hit the link to read about it or start the download <a href="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WG52KTXW" target="_blank">here</a> (64Mb). <br> <br>Regrettably, I missed this one first time around and am really looking forward to playing it. Thanks, Sandy!
Post Thu May 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Father Omally

Great blessings of the rpg Gods! Tis the finest vintage wine

Thank ye for the linky! Never heard of these laddies but their treasures seem to be pure rpg gold found at thee end of a buetiful multi-coloured rainbow! And for free yet! Miracles are such wonderful things!
Post Thu May 25, 2006 4:33 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

This is a good game but this version is very buggy. The devs said they are working on a patch. If you are not a big fan of crashes you might want to hold of a little bit more.

(This is the same version retarded_cow_lady put up right?)
Post Fri May 26, 2006 2:08 am
Father Omally

What a wondrous immersive dream state

I appreciate the bug/crash warnings Sir Roqua I played it briefly and was quite impressed by everything from the startup screen with the haunting music to the character creation process to the excellent story telling that draws one into the lives of Npcs of this dark world.The combat is quite thrilling and leaves one on edge emotionally for those who are fans of turned based rpg combat.To think this is free truly life is grand!

Oh and i have yet to experience any crashes so perhaps this is a patched version.
Post Fri May 26, 2006 4:04 am

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Thanks for the link, didnt know about this one!

And Omalley, Im definitely impressed, you actually didnt mention Oblivion! Wow!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri May 26, 2006 7:46 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

How is it possible that a game like this, indie, but pretty well realized and certainly an impressive achievement, has apparently not been reviewed by even a single site on the net? How come that I only heard about it by stumbling on it's forums on RPGCodex? As we increasingly see classic RPG design becoming a "niche" or "indie" persuit, shouldn't gaming sites in general and RPG sites like RPGdot in particular try a little harder to give these games some time in the spotlight, provide feedback, and just in general provide support and encouragement to teams like the one that made this?
Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:06 pm
Dhruin

Absolutely. It's regrettable Prelude was so overlooked and I am disappointed I let it fly under my radar. I hope you would agree we have a strong emphasis on indie titles these days.

However, indie developers can't leave their marketing to us: selling the game is also their job.

As soon as I finish my current articles, I'd like review Prelude next but it's nigh unplayable on my machine, crashing incessantly. *shrug*
Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:03 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

That's true, the current coverage of indie titles is very good (as far as I can tell). The critique should probably be more general, I was just extremely surprised that the only review I could find on the game was a forum post on the Codex. Considering that an indie RPG that actually sees the light of day is still a rather rare event, that seemed odd. I don't know how the PR game is played, I don't know how much the developers are to blame for that.

And yes the released version seems crash prone - the first session went fine, but now I get a lot of crashes too.
Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:12 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

After playing the first hour or so, I really like this game so far. I'm not normally too big on indie games either (I couldn't even finish the Avernum demo -- I thought it was crap).
Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:14 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It crashed for me extremely early in the game (a few minutes after I finished character creation and hit start). I'll probably give it another try later, but that's always a bad sign.
Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:55 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I gave this one a look and had no crash problems on Windows XP Pro, Geforce 6800 GT and 1gb ram. I have two other games I'm playing right now, so it's going to have to wait a while, but I have to say I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.
Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:59 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I've had 2 more crashes over about an hour or so of gameplay. One of them was severe enough that I had to restart my machine.

It's unfortunate because it looks like this could be a really good game. I'm not sure if it's worth the frustration though. And looking at the website, it does not appear that a patch is likely anytime soon.
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:58 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

They say they are working on a patch on their forum at rpgcodex. I beat this game and liked it a lot, but trying to play through again with all the crashes is driving me up a wall. Well, I'm lucky if I get a crash, i usually get locked up and have to reboot. I hate that.

The game does have other bug problems also. I hate walkthroughs but I had to check on the forums on a bunch of quests just to see if I was retarded and just wasn't able to figure the quest out, or if the quest was just bugged.

But, all in all, this is a great game reduced to just a good game because of the bugs now.

Of course, I have to admit the devs were very responsive to customers when this game was for sale and worked very hard on bugs and tweaking and player feedback. They are working on it for free now, which is cool, but they aren;t really working fast, which I understand. This did come out in 2002 after all.
Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:44 am