Whats next?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Whats next?

Anyone know what MMORPG is due out next? I mean for retail sale, not due out in beta. I never get into those anyway so I want to know when the next one I can buy is due out. I've seen the lists of all the games due out and the "release date" but that "release date" ALWAYS referres to the betas. I just wanna know when is the next time I can give my money to someone.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:38 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well... admitedly every new MMORPG that comes out is still in beta for the first few months So I'm not really sure how to answer your question truthfully, since I would never recommend anyone give their money for a game that just comes out. All new MMORPGs go through months of balancing, even the best ones. Not sure if you'd want to go through that, and if you don'T then I'd rather recommend an established game first instead of a shiny new one that is bound to drastically change within a few weeks.

Besides, release dates in this genre are never really definite.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:24 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Yeah, I know all about the beta process of games. And that the first few months of a new MMORPG is rocky and usually bug laden. But (few examples: UXO - claims release of late this year, and i know that means beta release; EQII - claims release of later this year, again thats gotta be just beta; Dragon Empires - isn't that one in beta? Darkfall - Claims release of Q1 2004, but thats beta I betcha) what I want to know is when are they acutally telling me the game will be out? They almost all say (the they I'm referring to is the RPGDot Release List) release dates and give an almost solid date. But as I know those dates are the "release to a few seleted people" dates. When the real real release? Cause I just like shiny new boxes.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:48 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Here's the thing: whenever you see a release date given, it's not a date that gives the start of beta. It's really what the publisher claims will be the release date. The problem is that I've never seen any MMORPG have a realistic release date until it's only a couple of months away from release. Chances are that most dates will be pushed back before long.

EQII will pobably be released in the first quarter of next year, but I doubt it'll be this year. But that's just a guess on my part, and anyone else saying different things will be their guesses as well. The release dates given by the publishers are, until they are changed, the only real "official" release date out there...
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:01 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Hmm... of the MAJOR titles, I would guess either Lineage II or Horizons would be coming up soonest, judging by the beta progress they have announced.

I agree that the first while is fun, being in the discovery period. Nowhere to look for strategy guides, just learning as you go.

But then, as Ekim pointed out, you also have the BUGS... Nothing can be more frustrating than not being able to use that new game you just bought.

-vaticide
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:38 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Immediate next? It will be either Horizons or Realms of Torment.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:32 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Realms of Torment, I haven't heard anything on this one. Anyone have a link?
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:12 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Realms of Torment Official Website

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:22 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide
Hmm... of the MAJOR titles, I would guess either Lineage II or Horizons would be coming up soonest, judging by the beta progress they have announced.

I agree that the first while is fun, being in the discovery period. Nowhere to look for strategy guides, just learning as you go.

But then, as Ekim pointed out, you also have the BUGS... Nothing can be more frustrating than not being able to use that new game you just bought.

-vaticide

on the judging by the beta statement....i have two questions...any idea how many people they have in Beta now in Horizons?

and any idea when the beta for UXO is going to start....have they even announced this?
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:42 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

For the horizons beta progress, I would check www.tazoon.com they might have some info on how many participants there are.

I haven't heard a date on U:X:O but it looks relatively polished...

-vaticide
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:45 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide
For the horizons beta progress, I would check www.tazoon.com they might have some info on how many participants there are.
-vaticide

Whens BestBuy going to have that shinny new box? I'm starting to have MMO withdraws. Mostly due to the lightning storm that cooked my modem but I'm not currently in any good MMO's. I need my fix.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:20 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Thanks for that info..I know its not near this number..but I read that at one point they had some 180000 beta applicants...which IMO is insane.

And just to add, from reading several of the reviews about UXO from that event that they held a few weeks back, many of the gamers there were very impressed at how far along the game was in development- so eventho its not in a beta yet, its far along and should not be much behind Horizons or Lineage 2

BTW..when was Lineage 2 supposed to come out.?
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:01 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Sounds like it's going to be a beta crazy Fall/Spring coming up. I know about the Horizons stuff, although I didn't get picked for it. I'm hoping they'll be taking apps soon for UXO, I need to get a new fix too!
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:08 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Im in a beta but i cant say anything due to the strict NDA.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:16 pm
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Sometimes you're not even allowed to say you are beta testing the game!

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:11 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next