Dungeon Lords: Collector's Edition Review @ GameZone
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dungeon Lords: Collector's Edition Review @ GameZone

GameZone has posted a <a href="http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r28378.htm" target="_blank">review</a> of the Collector's Edition of Dungeon Lords, which apparently laid a "solid foundation" in its original release. But wait! This version only gets better and better:<blockquote><em>Equally impressive is that the new content and features live up to the high standards of the original game. Unlike other titles, where patches or expansion packs have fallen from grace, it is difficult to tell which items or quests are new unless you have played an older version of the game. The graphics and sound have the same ambience and bring the same feel to the game. The new content adds to the game, but doesn’t fundamentally change or expand the game beyond its original design.</em></blockquote>The score is 7.7/10, by the way.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:35 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Lol, this stinks of paid for positive review or the Pub or Dev wrote this and sent it in as a (so called) indepentant.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:37 am

I ordered and paid for this game last April..almost a year ago and have yet to get my friggin copy...broke or not broke would still like to get the game i paid for....when in gods name is this gonna be available in the UK....screw patches for now...just get the damn game over to the UK.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:05 am

TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

What! Ghaah, don't make me choke! Somebody definately got paid for that piece of work.

The additional content of the CE has improved the quality of the game and put in more of the features that were missing from the original release, but the game still doesn't deliver everything it advertises.

All improvements and added content in the CE should have been provided as a free download. Only buy this if you can find it in the Bargain Bin. And beware future games from this publisher!
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:09 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I have to admit to struggling a bit with this one. I read the review and many of the things are either inaccurate or wrong - especially 'collector's edition' as the last bastion of sales. Normally the Collector's Edition is put out on day of release to add a few low cost trinkets and get a high premium. It is the 'gold', 'platinum' and 'diamond' editions that repack to get more sales.

But normally those involve expansion packs - or at least significantly lowered price, not just re-releasing the same game with some added stuff in a nifty pack for the same retail price.

At the same time, he does mention stuff that has gone into it, and the fact that this is *the* Dungeon Lords to get (if you need to get one at all).

But how can you view this version as inherently more than a very tiny expansion pack that adds no area or 'major' quests, only items, monsters and minor quests? Sort of like that Sims 2 'holiday pack', which scored 20's or something.

In other words, how can you separate this game from the fact that many gamers who bought it last year in its' abysmally unfinished state need to buy it again to get something finally approaching what they were promised to begin with? I'll have to deal with that before I write my review ...

The funny thing is that I *love* playing the game ... I'm a mage and just made it to Arindale, and have a hard time stopping once I get going. That doesn't forgive it for everything else, just means I have fun with it regardless.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:38 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I think its ok that they rerelease this game in a playables state, and apparently its now even a somewhat fun game. But they should, plain and simple, have released these fixes (because thats all they really are) for free to anyone who made the mistake to buy the original release. Not doing that destroys even the last thread of credibility these guys may still have had left.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:14 pm
10Ktrolls
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Don't buy this game. These guys just don't deserve to make any money with it.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:02 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

txa1265

I agree it can be very fun, if they improved netcode and quest stablity in Multiplayer, I might ever give it a higher score than this reviewer.
He clearly is talking out his butt with references to previous release, patches and the way he makes the new features seem greant when mostly they are fixes to the poor unfinished state the orginal.

I am still using 1.4, playing Multiplayer with some friends, but 1.4 is still very buggy.
I have tried to post in forums with alot of traffic for DL asking if CE is more stabble, less broken quest and less lag in some dungeons, with no luck finding anything out so far.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:45 pm

I'm sold.

I'm running out right now and buy 8 copies.

*turns around to run to store and slams head first into a telephone pole falls down unconscious*
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:05 am

runningretarius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dungeon Lords finally "finished"

Why anyone would spend time or money on this leftover when Olivion is being released in days is beyond me.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:49 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Multiplayer, at least best I can tell.

Even now the longest threads in the Oblivion offical forum are how to convert Oblivion to Multiplayer.

At least until Oblivion comes out DL does have some of the best graphics in an RPG , at least I can reacall atm.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:31 am

Re: Dungeon Lords finally "finished"

quote:
Originally posted by runningretarius
Why anyone would spend time or money on this leftover when Olivion is being released in days is beyond me.

Cause there is alot of pansy dumb easily impressed idiots like txa1265 in the world who will buy and play this crap
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:57 am

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Moderators need to REMOVE the Guest option.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:50 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I've got thick skin ...

But I think that people who see Oblivion as some sort of panacea are smoking crack - what, you're going to stop playing *everything* just because it is arriving soon?

There are many games out there, living for one game on one platform isn't something I'm willing to do.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:23 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
There are many games out there, living for one game on one platform isn't something I'm willing to do.

Amen, bro. That's why I cant do the MMORPG thing anymore, it's like being forced to only listen to one cd, by one band. I'm excited about Oblivion, but I dont plan on just tossing Scratches, Gothic II Gold, and Battle for Middle Earth aside for months while I work on Oblivion.

Some of my favorite games are those that other people write off or dislike, such as Dragonshard, Sacrifice, Land of the Dead, Battlezone #1&#2, Myth #1 & #2 etc, so I know what youre going thru

I plan on playing thru Dungeon Lords, but not til I see it hit the 10 dollar bin
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:46 pm