Usergroups
What RPG had the best story in 2002?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
DMC23
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There have been some games that let you play an evil character over the years.... Fallout 1and 2 ,Arcanum, and a few others. Now if you guys are looking for a game where the single player is DESIGNED to be played evil, where that is the only option and a "good" path is "tacked on" later...... well, Im afraid it will never happen. Closest you are going to get is Grand Theft Auto games . Many people dont want to play an evil character, so most companies wouldnt see that as an "sound financial investment." I also agree about the "savior aspect." I wish there were more games in a "Die Hard" mold...... where you just happen to be in a bad place at a bad time. You become the hero in the end, but not because it is your "destiny." You become the hero because it is a part of some other goal you want to accomplish (such as Die Hard where John McClane is trying to save his wife.... yes he is a cop and all, but he was doing all that because his wife was in danger..... everything else came from that.) Or perhaps a game that mocks or reverses the "savior" role. You are the squire to the knight who is "destined to slay the evil wizard." But on the way there, you are ambushed by the wizard's forces and the knight is killed. Your character is forced to attempt the quest. That would be great for plot development.... you could go with a person who never believed the prophecy so now you are looking to make a name for yourself..... or maybe you did believe the prophecy and you are going through with it even though you feel there is no way that you can do it. But most companies refuse to allow game designers to "break away from the mold." Last one I can remember was PS: Torment and Interplay tried to kill that game in its infancy. I have read that Black Isles basically held back the majority of the story elements from Interplay til it was too late to cancel the game. I can live with cliches ( like the Bard said, "there are no new ideas.....") as long as they are handled intelligently ----like Gothic last year.

P.S. I have read that the Arcanum team is working on a new DnD game (I think it was set in the Greyhawk universe) that will come out next year. They said they were designing different starting points for good and bad characters. It will be set up so that the evil group will have a difference reason for taking on the main quest other than the "good" route. Coming from the Fallout crew, I have high hopes for this game--- now if only I could get Fallout 3
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:41 pm
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think the game that came closest to this in a fantasy setting (although not a CRPG) was Dungeon Keeper.

Wizardy had one in their series called "Return of Werdna" that was based on the "bad guy" (I think it was Wizardy 5, but I may be wrong with that)
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:50 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

One time, about 5 years ago, i was at Software Ect and i saw a game box with some guy's face on it all covered in blood and stuff, and the title was something like "Evil Whore" (lol, i actually dont remember), but thats the only game i have ever seen with obvious evil intentions, and suffice it to say i didnt even think about buying it. Now if they made a Reverse Diablo game called Angel Killer, suffice it to say, i wont buy that one either.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:08 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin

@Remus, I just finished Mafia and it was a darn fine game with an excellent story. My pick for best overall game of the year.
I didn't finish it. I don't know why, but on the last mission I got to bored to play it, so away it went! Now I'm wondering how it ended.

[quote"Val"]I'd like to see one where you get to play the prophesied unholy destroyer conquerer and bane of everyone's exsistance! [/quote] I allways wanted a game like that. Imagine playing Sauron instead of anyone else. Imagine playing the sleeper, or anyone else!
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:05 am
DMC23
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay, As the Sleeper (and Sauron to a lesser extent), you would be stuck in limbo for 30 hours game time trying to influence the dreams of the humans to perform the ritual. Then you would appear for 5 minutes and finally be sucked back into your dimensional prison....... Wow, sounds fun.... nah Ill stick to Myst when I feel like punishing myself
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:08 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

In BG2 I could play a truely evil character. What's more evil than running around killing everyone and then bribing some corrupt priest to "absolve" you of your crimes? Then you can become an evil god! MUAHAHAHA!

It's all in the roleplay.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:19 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

"I allways wanted a game like that. Imagine playing Sauron instead of anyone else."

Actually there is a strategy game coming out called War of the Rings where you can either be the good guys (elves, men, dwarves) or the bad guys (sauron, saruman, ect)

Last edited by Ammon777 on Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:22 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by DMC23
Okay, As the Sleeper (and Sauron to a lesser extent), you would be stuck in limbo for 30 hours game time trying to influence the dreams of the humans to perform the ritual. Then you would appear for 5 minutes and finally be sucked back into your dimensional prison....... Wow, sounds fun.... nah Ill stick to Myst when I feel like punishing myself
No, if you play as Sauron you could have changed things. Maybe you can get away without losing your ring! You release the orcs, the southlings and the eastlings all togheter in an attack agains Gondor. Then you enter, and kills the King. The elves runs west over the sea, and you follow, invincible.

Ok, maybe not, but it would be cool tough.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:25 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

If i was Sauron i wouldnt want to get the ring back. Instead i would want Galadriel.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:28 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
Actually there is a strategy game coming out called War of the Rings where you can either be the good guys (elves, men, dwarves) or the bad guys (sauron, saruman, ect)

Playing both the 'good' and 'evil' sides is a possibility in most RTS games. Come with me to the land of NOD, brothers .
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:24 am
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Nukester
I think the game that came closest to this in a fantasy setting (although not a CRPG) was Dungeon Keeper.

Dang. Beat me to it.

The only 'being evil' games that come to mind for me are those old Rampage games for the consoles and arcades. The point of the game was to knock skyscrapers down and eat people. When the army tried to stop you, you could stop on the tanks and eat the soldiers for more points. Ahh, nostalgia.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:43 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Val
In BG2 I could play a truely evil character. What's more evil than running around killing everyone and then bribing some corrupt priest to "absolve" you of your crimes? Then you can become an evil god! MUAHAHAHA!

It's all in the roleplay.

I tried couple times playing evil characters in BG but never finish them. The punishment for evil doers is too much for my enjoyment. I remember my whole party keep getting slaughtered by group of law enforcer, gotten chased all over the place in towns, i can't bring the group of criminals getting near to any civilazations .
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:11 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Dumb criminals get caught and punished. Sneaky smart evil villians can see their master plan (in this case, becoming a god) come to fruition.
If my rep dropped below 8, (starting to see a few wanted posters around town...) I'd make a trip to my favorite corrupt priest and have him put in a good word for me with the authorities.

As I said, it's all in the roleplay.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:34 pm
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Divine divinity is an awesome CRPG, but the story isnt realy all that great. What is great is the level of interaction with NPC and the world, and all the awesome quests. I would put its story in 3rd place

For best story I would say Gothic wins. I beleive its english release was early 2002

Morrowin had a realy original story and setting too. Actualy Im not sure wich of the 2 was better. they were both great with interesting twists.

IWD2 story was mediocre but it was still a gme worth playing

NWN story sucked.

Dungeon Siege had a story? you must be joking

Arx fatalis was pretty interesting. Good story but it was prety short and simple IMO.

that covers all the RPGs for 2002 that I can think of
Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:14 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

The best story had 'Mafia', but this is only a gpr (*) and not a rpg.

(*) Game, in which you Play a Role
Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next