Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (PC/Xbox 360) - Interview With Pet
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (PC/Xbox 360) - Interview With Pet

I guess this one passed me on by the other day!! The staff of The Console Wars have unveiled this rather highly interesting (and exclusive) <a href="http://theconsolewars.blogspot.com/2005/08/exclusive-interview-with-pete-hines-of.html" target="_blank">interview</a> with Bethesda Softwork's incomparable Pete Hines re Oblivion and the PC versus the Xbox 360 version thereof, and Fallout 3... <br> <br><blockquote><em>TCW: "Is there any new word on whether or not user made mods for Oblivion will be available for download via xbox live? At the time of your Gamespy interview it sounded like a "No". <br> <br>Pete Hines: "Right now we know for sure that we plan to offer downloadable content for Oblivion. Beyond that nothing has been determined yet. We still have some ideas of things we’d like to do and are talking to Microsoft about if and how we might be able to do them. We work hard at managing expectations and part of that is trying not to promise anything we can’t be sure we’ll deliver." <br> <br>TCW: "Do you have any PS3 development kits and what did you think of them compared to the XBOX360 kits? What are the key differences? Do you have a favorite? <br> <br>Pete Hines: "Right now we’re focused on PC and Xbox 360 for this holiday season. We aren’t talking about or announcing any other platforms for the foreseeable future." <br> <br>TCW: "Are you going to keep making open ended RPG's or are you getting into some other genres? If so which ones and do you have any details?" <br> <br>Pete Hines: "In addition to Oblivion we’re in the very early stages of development on Fallout 3, a post-apocalyptic role-playing game. But it will be a long, long time until we’re ready to talk about what we’re up to on Fallout 3. The teams here in Rockville will definitely continue to focus on The Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises. <br> <br>As far as other games/genres, as a publisher we also look to partner with external developers that are making the kind of games we get excited about. We have a number of those in the works and will be talking about them as we go along. <br> <br></em></blockquote>
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:57 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
The advantage of the Xbox 360 is that it’s designed to run our game, period. You know if you have a 360 it will look as good as it can possibly look. If you have the latest, greatest PC with the best video card, etc., it will probably look the same as the Xbox 360 version. Anything else will probably lag behind.

When people ask us whether or not to do a major PC upgrade or get the console version of one of our games, we always recommend the console version. Our games tend to push the limits of technology pretty hard, so it’s much easier to predict performance on a closed box than one with thousands of possible configurations."

OK, so we can read that the game is going to be tweaked for optimum XBox performance, and that will be relatively worse-performing on a PC, unless you have a configuration that totally shames the XBox specs ... in which case it might be equal.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:01 pm
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

I concur with you wholeheartedly, txa1272. That's precisely what it sounds like to me:-)
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:58 pm

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
OK, so we can read that the game is going to be tweaked for optimum XBox performance, and that will be relatively worse-performing on a PC, unless you have a configuration that totally shames the XBox specs ... in which case it might be equal.Mike

That PC configuration will be available in a couple of years for a reasonable price and I belive that the game will even look better in such configuration.

I still play Morrowind ocasionaly so I expect to play Oblivion in several rig changes.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:22 am

ElSebasti
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That was me in the previous post. Forgot to log in
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:41 am
Foe-hammer

Oblivion

quote="txa1265"]
That PC configuration will be available in a couple of years for a reasonable price and I belive that the game will even look better in such configuration.
quote]
From what the devs said, the 360 offers the best possible oblivion. So no matter how good your pc specs will be, oblivion will look no better then it can on the 360.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:19 am

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Re: Oblivion

quote:
Originally posted by Foe-hammer
quote="txa1265"]
quote]
From what the devs said, the 360 offers the best possible oblivion. So no matter how good your pc specs will be, oblivion will look no better then it can on the 360.

OK, you 'quoted' me, but it was actually ElSebasti who said the stuff above. I agree with you - the devs were pretty clear ... X360 is the optimum platform. PC with high specs will *at best* get close.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:01 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Meh. I have a PC; I don't an Xbox 360. Looks like it's the PC version for me regardless of what it looks like.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:25 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

What's interesting to note in that article is that Pete is stressing how good the title will look on the 360. If several pc gamers buy an Xbox so that they can play Oblivion at its best, it could possibly cause the next TES game not to be developed for the pc platform. The pc sales will pale in comparison to the Xbox sales if pc people can be persuaded to buy an Xbox for this game. To me, the choice is obvious. I would rather pay $300-400 to upgrade my pc, which I will use for thousands of different programs/games than to go out and buy an Xbox, which I would likely never use again. I'm not a console gamer. Why buy a console for one game, no matter how pretty? Let's hope they don't skimp on the pc side of the game.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:05 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by crpgnut
The pc sales will pale in comparison to the Xbox sales if pc people can be persuaded to buy an Xbox for this game.
There is no 'if' here - the PC sales will pale in comparison to the XBox *just because* there is an XBox version ... that is reality. Look at games like KotOR, where despite being a huge PC seller in general, the PC sales were only ~10% of total.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:55 pm
Dhruin

Where does this 10% figure come from, Mike? It doesn't ring true to me. KotOR has sold 2.5m copies total combined according to the BioWare site, which would put the PC sales at 250k - I find it hard to believe KotOR sold around half of...say...Freedom Force. In addition, I know the Xbox sales in the US are a tad over 1 million copies, which would mean Xbox sales for the rest of the world would be ~1.25 million. This just doesn't happen - Xbox sales are markedly higher in the US than other regions - Europe remains reasonably PC-centric for example and the Xbox is a non-event in Japan. Assuming the total Xbox sales are more like 1.7 or 1.8m, I would guess the PC sales to be more like ~30% at least.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:42 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Since bethesda gave up on the pc why don't they release daggerfall as abondonware?

Bethesda really has their finger on the pulse of the market. I hope "fallout 3" is jammed packed with action. That would be like totally awesome. Thanks generation y, you guys are fantastic. I want to tickle all you big silly gooses and your wacky tastes.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:08 am

So they are saying that the xbox360 version will be the best looking?
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:10 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Noone says that but concerned PC gamers.

In fact, Oblivion Xbox 360 and Oblivion PC will be the same regarding features. And regarding graphics: It all depends on your system. Personally, I even tend to believe that the PC will have the upper hand.

Why? Am I mad? No, but I take into consideration that Oblivion will be processor intensive, ths not only depending on the graphics card. Remember they use excellent NPC AI and physics - all of that is handled by the CPU, not by the GPU. Thus, a high end PC will be at least as smooth as the Xbox 360.

It's true that they will sell more Xbox units than PC units. It was the same with Morrowind, and it will likely be even more in favor of the console this time. But that doesn't mean that they will treat the PC version with less enthusiasm than the Xbox version.

For a couple of weeks I was thinking about whether to upgrade my PC for Oblivion or to buy the Xbox 360 instead. I decided to follow the PC branch, mainly because of the fact that the construction set will be PC exclusive, and also because there will be Gothic 3 in 2006 or 2007. So I got myself a GeForce 7800 GTX yesterday (and a new power supply for the computer, the 330W simply don't do it with that beast). That costed me more than the XBox would cost me, but I think I made the right decision.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:26 am
newb

PC version will look better

PC version will look better than the 360 version period. Don't forget that the 360 version will be limitted to 720p. With a PC you have control of your resolution. Of course you will need the hardware to back it up.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:06 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next