Author Thread
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
We could easily overtake them if we had somebody who can read German and posts news. I often see news before even the WoG forum posts it, but I hate posting news. The news team needs 12 hours on average to post foreign language news. I donīt criticize it, Iīm happy they do it at all.

I could do that, I used to send some things to the news team, when I had found some german things, but it seems that the link to email the newsteam is gone (maybe they received too much spam).

Thanks for your offer!
Weīll discuss this internally first.

The new address for news submissions is Teaminfo... the "contact us" button also uses it.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:10 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The forum is clearly faster now.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:30 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
The forum is clearly faster now.

And... did it have any clear reason why it was slower than now?
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:05 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

It maybe faster, if it is, it is not that noticable to me here in the US.
I maybe just faster for you Gorath cause you close to the server, does it seem faster to anyone else, maybe faster in more Euro countries?
Sure I would love for it to be faster but it does not bother me or effect how much I like RPGDot
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:14 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Try one of the other skins. Maybe it changes something.

Myrthos didnīt tell us what exactly caused the problems.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:04 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Where is the server located. Myrthos is Dutch too as I recall correctly, does he own the server? That would explain why I haven't got any problems with the forum speed.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:17 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

We were on a US server up to last year, now we're hosted on one of Jolt's servers. I presume it's somewhere in the UK since Jolt is a British company. If the server was located in the Netherlands I shouldn't have any problems, either.
It's been rather fast for me since our database wizards (especially Myrthos) implemented minor changes a few day ago. It was terribly slow for me when it was in the US, but it wasn't much better after we migrated to the new server... up to now. And in my case reaction time didn't depend on the skin - it didn't behave differently when I switched between the default (icicle) and DarkEQ skins (the others are too garish for my poor eyes, I'm a creature of the night after all ).
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:49 pm
Don-Esteban
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

At first: RPGDot is the oldest English Gothic Board. Thats a fact! And they do a great job.
WoG don't want catch Users from other boards and it's not our intention to harm other Gothic-sites.
We don't want a "site war".
quote:
Thanks for the flowers!

Unfortunately we donīt know why the site gets so slow when you log in. Until we know it we canīt fix it ...

WoG has great connections and they are fast when it comes to German news, but they virtually ignore English news. It sometimes takes several days until they notice stuff we posted.
We could easily overtake them if we had somebody who can read German and posts news. I often see news before even the WoG forum posts it, but I hate posting news. The news team needs 12 hours on average to post foreign language news. I donīt criticize it, Iīm happy they do it at all.

Yes, we have little problems, to find enough trustworthy translators. We have a few good. But most People consequential do not have time at the whole day. I'am the main newsposter for the German WoG, but my english is to bad for writing correct English news. And so we need the help of translators. This results in a lag of time. Second: The staff of the English WoG needs more own newsscouts. In most cases someone of the German staff show them news. And than we wait for the translators.
But the English WoG is a young website and our experience with this site is growing every day.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:28 am
Drax
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

all I know is that I wont be changing from this board here...I've worked hard to get my posts up, and Im hoping to soon change my name from: Drax the Friendly trader, to...a much better name!!!
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:31 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

For me the RPGdot forums are the best of the three, I don't mind the slow loading, just open up multiple windows and you'll be fine ( I use Avant browser)

As for the activity, I certainly think the release of gothic three will stir up a hornets nest, the boards who gets the best (most mature) new players will be the greatest, and I hope RPGdot will be that board.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:42 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I think RPGdot and WoG are the best (Don-Esteban is here after all ). WoG's links with PB are a big plus for me. The forums of Jowood just can't compete with the ones of WoG and RPGdot.
WoG and RPGdot should merge. Imagine a great German and English community with great connections with PB.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:42 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
It's been rather fast for me since our database wizards (especially Myrthos) implemented minor changes a few day ago.

Sounds like someone didn't setup the index's properly
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:48 pm
rockfest
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
1. Board is the youngest of the three, and as such there are fewer discussion archives.

That is indeed true but you have to think that anyone can post whatever they want about Gothic so IMO this is not a cons. The archive can and will grow bigger but in time.
quote:
Originally posted by elkston
4. Needs a bit more variety in the posters

I don't know what you trying to say about the users but I'm a frequent poster there...IMO most of the users there are the best ones a forum can have.
quote:
Originally posted by sem
Most posts seem to be in the trend of "How kewl would xxx be for G3" or "Will yyy be in G3?"
Fill in for xxx: The most bizar and useless feature you can imagine.
Fill in for yyy: Anything that cannot be known be anyone beside the developers.

And have you read those threads with these kind of posts? You can't even imagine what breath-taking ideea are in there...side-stories, chronology of the gothic world. I don't think that even PB ever had any ideeas like the ones wich are on WoG. There are great stories , poems and interesting OT talk in the Peanuts section. If you didn't read the posts with the "fantasy" talk then i suggest to do that.
quote:
Originally posted by Don-Esteban
We don't want a "site war".

That would be one of the worse mistakes the gothic community could do but
quote:
WoG and RPGdot should merge

that is not a good ideea IMO. Big forums with alot of users ussualy run slower and imagine how many "different opinions" would raise in a forum like that. The WoG is fine by me like it is, in time there will be alot of users there and i don't think that a merge should happen.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:45 pm
WernerTWC
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi RPGDot-community!

Ok, to be honest, i didnīt read this forum (shame on me, maybe i should give it a try from now on )...
but i saw this thread in here,... itīs just great that you reconize the english WoG this much!
I like this thread much because in it no "site-war" starts, everybody give his/her opinion of the board which is prefered but without any "competition"-thoughts and no offense,... cool!
Isnīt it great to have more than only one community? (hey, give JoWood a chance too *lol*)...

About news on the websites,... well, every news runs just straight trough all forums in hours, every forum has "spys" from other forums in it so every fan will get the newest infos on all the 3 forums i think.

But one pro was not listed about the english WoG (sorry, i canīt do any statement about the RPGDot (shame on me again)):
We have a really "family"-atmosphere in there.
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:20 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by rockfest
I don't think that even PB ever had any ideeas like the ones wich are on WoG.

I do think they had better ones, besides they already showed that listening to the hardcore community too much, doesn't bring in the money. The new difficulty level is fine for me (hardcore too ), but occasional gamer, who brings in the money for developers and publishers, doesn't like it at all. I'm glad PB follows their own path.

quote:
Originally posted by WernerTWC
We have a really "family"-atmosphere in there.

We have a great atmosphere here too.
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:26 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2