Projectile weapons
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Bikewer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Projectile weapons

So, what do I need to do to shoot effectively? I started out with the bargain chitin bow, I might as well have spit at things. Then I got a steel longbow, with iron arrows. Again, I couldn't even distract any critters with it. I take that back, I killed a rat. To date, that's the only thing I've killed.
Now, I have a supply of "Dire Viper" arrows, poisoned and all, and I still might as well be tossing whiffle balls!

Hehe- I just made the "overland" trip to Ghostgate, sightseeing, and killed so many cliff racers, nix hounds, guar, and rats that I suspected an ordinator might show up and arrest me for violating the daily limits.

Ghostgate was pretty cool, but all I got out of the trip was up one level, probably because of all the carnage.
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:44 am
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

marksman, agility, and first person view. make sure you look at where the arrows are falling so you can adjust your aim. if you like mods. checkout fletcher and marksman mods. they add allot to the selection of bows in the game. + they add the ability to make your own arrows
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:10 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, aim carefully... but get that skill up!

I'm not totally sure about this having not played with Marksman nearly as much as I'd like (next char will be an archer!), but your Marksman ability only seems to be used when an arrow hits a target "sucessfully", so it's up to you to give the skill a chance to work. If it does, the enemy actually gets hit.

If you have a Marksman skill of 30 and fire an arrow straight into an enemy, you seem to have about 30% chance of that arrow doing damage and registering as a hit, even if you were firing at point-blank range. If you have a *very* low Marksman skill, it seems incredibly tricky to hit anything, no matter how good your aim is - so train up the skill if it's anything below about 20 (I guess).

Improving your aim is a matter of trial and error. Fire a few arrows and see where they go - I believe this depends on both the bow you're using and the arrow type. Bonemold arrows seem to swoop up shortly after leaving the bow, I think Iron arrows tended to swoop down. Your mileage may vary...

The actual damage dealt by an arrow seems to depend on both the bow type and the arrow type. While I'd prefer to be using a Daedric bow and Ebony arrows, I can't find the bow and the arrows aren't cheap . I generally stick to Bonemold bow and arrows - bow I think from Sadrith Mora, arrows from Vivec.
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:14 am
Nukleus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I niked a steel longbow of some guy wandering around balmorra when I was a level 2 thief!!!!!!
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:13 pm
Bikewer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I thought this was kind of funny; I wanted to see how "good" archery worked, so I cheated. I upped my "marksman" level a few points, (ok-60), and got the "Bonebiter" bow and daedric arrows.
Hehe-what a difference. One-shot kills on Guars, Kaguti, etc, generally 2 for Cliff Racers. It also mows down most of your standard baddies, including those armored skeletons.

Anyway, my next quest was the Urshulaki camp job, and sure enough, the guy askes me to go find him the "bonebiter" bow...

I suppose I could have just given it to him, but I was good boy and chewed my way through that burial ground, leaving a trail of skeletons and cave rats. I thought that was a rather hard quest for an early-level job, if I hadn't have read the game guide I'd still be wandering around in there.
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:25 am
Spawnster
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

archery seems interesting....i've found a trader stocking on archery stuff at vivec so was comtemplating my next character to major in marksman....

i think a woodself marksman will be good cos they hv a bonus in marksman. my other option is a darkelf battlemage with major in destruction.

choice is to go for marksman as major or destruction as major? range magic or range attack? hmmmm....
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:21 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Easy choice (for me)

Marksman. Easy.

I'm not a great fan of magic for various reasons. Having to rest all the time to regenerate magicka is a pet hate of mine, and the spellbook system is a bit clumsy. I also prefer to play *without* it in a world infused *with* it - makes things kind of interesting. I was intending to use it with my current character for combat assistance - fire shields, levitate, water breathing, mark etc., but Alchemy replaces most things, and an Amulet of Recall and Velothian armour sorts out the rest

I'm totally sold on the Marksman idea. Bows are very cool, and after a bit of practice they become deadly. Instead of having to sleep to gain more magic points, you can just buy another 200 arrows. I usually play with Long Blade, but keep getting diseases from fighting creatures. See a Blighted Alit up ahead? Pull out the bow and down it before it gets anywhere near you.

My only complaint is a general complaint about the world - there could be a little more variation in bow and arrow types - short and long bows for each material, different materials (especially at lower levels). Would you believe there's no "Wood" bow?
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:04 am
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
My only complaint is a general complaint about the world - there could be a little more variation in bow and arrow types - short and long bows for each material, different materials (especially at lower levels). Would you believe there's no "Wood" bow?

you should really checkout the marksman and fletcher mods then. they might be a touch overpowering - i havne't had enough chance to realy get into them, but i ilke them allot. you can use racer plumes for fletching
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:24 pm