Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The best Captain of the Star Trek franchise?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

The best Captain of the Star Trek franchise?
Captain Kirk?
31%
 31%  [ 9 ]
Captain Picard?
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Captain Janeway?
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Captain Sisko?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Captain Archer?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

Author Thread
Izludious
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Lol.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:24 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Izludious
I picked the only one i know. I'm not a Treky at all.

And which would that be?
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:21 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

It's like asking who is the better singer for Van Halen...Hagar or Roth...obviously it's Diamond David Lee Roth.

Captain Kirk is da man. He is selfish, arrogant, and gets all the women(probably because he wrote the scripts himself). And when he was at the helm fights were inevitable.

Picard is such a boring politically correct guy. The kind of guy people who drink cappuccinos and listen to NPR(National Public Radio)on a regular basis would like.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:14 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Re: The best Captain of the Star Trek franchise?

Hmm...I like Captain Picard, Captain Janeway and Captain Archer, but the best.....Hmm....I think Janeway....
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:11 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

For some reason I don't think you gave them all a fair chance. I think you are biased toward Janeway for some reason besides the actor's skill and the development of the character....I wonder what it could be.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:07 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by Darrius Cole
For some reason I don't think you gave them all a fair chance. I think you are biased toward Janeway for some reason besides the actor's skill and the development of the character....I wonder what it could be.

You like the Janeway looks?!? I can imagine a 7 of 9, but Janeway?!?
NFG member
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:59 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

@Bartacus and everyone else
Hmm let's see....Who looks best?...Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisco, Captain Archer, or Captain Janeway. It does not take one nanosecond for me to decide. Captain Janeway looks galaxies better than either one of those other captains. But, Seven Of Nine is better looking than Janeway.

For future references let me point out one of the basics truths of life. It is simply as follows...

NO MAN LOOKS AS GOOD AS ANY WOMAN.

There are NO exceptions. But if you have questions about that, feel free to ask. I will be happy to point out that there are no exceptions. Did I mention that there were NO exceptions?
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:23 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd have to say Picard. Especially after comparing them in Generations. And thinking back at that craptastic Final Frontier movie, and that Greek Gods episode, I realize how much the old storylines sucked.

Furthermore, I do believe that Picards hardass crew > Kirk and bunch of whiny old men.
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:34 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

@Hexy
Blasphemy

Before I begin, let me state that I do like and respect Picard and his crew. THE THREAD FORCES ME TO CHOOSE ONE.

Having said that, I say, BLASPHEMY. Do you realize that by saying [quote=Hexy "Furthermore, I do believe that Picards hardass crew > Kirk and bunch of whiny old men."]you are saying?...
1. You would rather have Riker for a first officer than Spock.
2. You would rather have Crusher for a Doctor than Bones (Ignoring the advances in medical science across generations)
3. You would rather have LaForge for an engineer than Scotty.

Only two Next Generation characters could hold their place in Kirks crew. Data and Worf. They have no counterpart in Kirk's crew.
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:23 pm
|comy|
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think that you cannot compare the Picards and Kirks crew. They are simply so different that comparison is out of order.
In my opinion you couldn't take like 3 favourite characters from one and 3 from the other crew. It wouldn't be the same, you know what I mean ?

But in the end I would give Picard a little advantage over Kirk ( though they're both great ) because he ,in my view, thruly represents a responsible, noble, honest and wise captain and he is an example of what every captain should be. This is seen as in his actions as in his behaveour and that is that little advantage I was talking about earlier.
aaah, I talk too much
just a silence gone bad
something I will never hide
this urging need to

invite the darkside in
into my haven
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:33 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Someone has to stand up for those who can’t speak for themselves here. Someone has to shake their fist in the air and say “STOP! INJUSTICE!” Well…. I AM that Badger.

My Vote is for (drum role please)…………

Matt Decker!

I mean I realise that strictly speaking he was a Comodore, but look at the man’s credentials for command.

1/ He sent his crew to their deaths by beaming them down to a planet in the path of ….wait for it… a Planet Eating Robot! That he’d just engaged in fisticuffs with and lost.

2/ He had all the best lines and delivered them with passion! “They say there’s no devil Jim, but there is…I’ve seen it..Straight out of HELL!” (Charlton Heston would have been proud of that!) Plus my personal favourite, having been informed that “Vulcan’s don’t bluff” He gives Spock a fantastic withering look and says, “No, I don’t suppose that they do.”

3/ He took on the entire Bridge crew of the Enterprise, standing firm in his decision to Attack! Attack! Attack! Despite all around him saying…erm, that’s not such a good idea.
(Tony Blair would have been proud of that.)

4/ Let down by the rest of the crew and relieved of command, he decides to take on the beast all on his lonesome, beats up a Ron Ely look alike security man, with space age Karate to rival Kirks best feat of pugilistic skill. Then with no regard for his own safety, or the cost of a replacement shuttlecraft, he truly “Boldly Goes Where No Man Has Gone Before,” throwing himself down the throat of the hellish planet killer in the ultimate merging of Captain and his Log!

In my opinion, Shatner should have thrown himself in and Matt Decker could have taken over as Captain of the Enterprise.

Yay Matt Decker! Matt Decker for Captain!

Badger.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:12 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I also like captain archer.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:45 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Before I begin, let me state that I do like and respect Picard and his crew. THE THREAD FORCES ME TO CHOOSE ONE.

Having said that, I say, BLASPHEMY. Do you realize that by saying [quote=Hexy "Furthermore, I do believe that Picards hardass crew > Kirk and bunch of whiny old men."]you are saying?...
1. You would rather have Riker for a first officer than Spock.
2. You would rather have Crusher for a Doctor than Bones (Ignoring the advances in medical science across generations)
3. You would rather have LaForge for an engineer than Scotty.

Only two Next Generation characters could hold their place in Kirks crew. Data and Worf. They have no counterpart in Kirk's crew.

*Pinky finger to mouth*

Riiiight...

I enjoy professionalism more than nauseating inside bickering, something that haunted the original crew more than others, I believe. But maybe you feel differently?

P.S. IMO Data always managed the whole emotionally detatched thing better than Spock anyway.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:04 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally be Hexy
P.S. IMO Data always managed the whole emotionally detatched thing better than Spock anyway.
Of course he did, because he did not have emotions. Vulcans have emotions; they just control them.

They problem that I have is that almost everyone else in the crew also did the emotionally detached thing as well as Data but they were supposed to have emotions. The exceptions being (Picard, who is excellent, Worf, and sometimes Riker)

The originals appeared to bicker more because they were friends as well as crewmates (Bones, Jim, and Spock). They actors were showing emotion. Next Gen friendships never showed that type of emotion.

But, do you really consider the NextGen characters to be more able officers.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:38 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

But, do you really consider the NextGen characters to be more able officers.

Hmmmm...

Judging from their knowledge and skills in areas that are basically completely made up, and with rules/terminology that changes/is made up to suit each episode... I'd have to say yes.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:24 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next