oh do please help befo i smash the keyboard
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

oh do please help befo i smash the keyboard

ok.....i know this has been asked many times on plenty of sites but i jus havent gotten a single bit of help yet........when i install wizardry 8 it runs fine fer about 10-20 minutes, then it jus kicks me out n sends me to the desktop.....ive asked other peepz about it n alls they tell me to do is update the drivers but i guess i dont fully understand how to do that.........PLEASE HELP ME!!! i havent been the same without my sweet, sweet wizardry.......

-helplessly yers,
-porter
Post Sun May 01, 2005 2:39 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

The drivers people are refering too are for your Graphic card, and Sound card. Further more make sure you got a newer version of "Direct X". (Microsofts hardware/software "interface" software. The current newest version is called "Direct X" 9.1C I think. But first find out sound/Graphic card you got, then we probably can guide you to a place where you can find the newest drivers.
Post Mon May 02, 2005 6:28 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

ok check out what im runnin.....

ok i looked at my system and this is whats up

-ati graphics card
-directx 9.0 <~~~~~~~~(maybe thas the prob?)
-creative soundblaster live

i hope thas the info you needed........lemme know if ya need mo

thank you oh so much for replying.......thought that my days of wizardry adventure were behind me........now i am hopeful! thank you.......

-porter
Post Mon May 02, 2005 11:37 pm
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

did ya get that?

i posted a thread......jus wanted ta make sure ya got it......thanks mike
Post Mon May 02, 2005 11:56 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Re: ok check out what im runnin.....

quote:
Originally posted by heretic71186
ok i looked at my system and this is whats up

-ati graphics card
-directx 9.0 <~~~~~~~~(maybe thas the prob?)
-creative soundblaster live

i hope thas the info you needed........lemme know if ya need mo

thank you oh so much for replying.......thought that my days of wizardry adventure were behind me........now i am hopeful! thank you.......

-porter

Hi Heretic

First of all lets patch the game Wizardry 8 to newest version.
Find it here http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=943 among many other places. Just download and run the file, and the game will get patched. Try to run the game again before starting upgrading your hardware drivers, perhaps you are lucky.

Wizardry 8 just need from Direct x 8.? and newer, so it shouldn't be a problem with your 9.0 version.
Otherwise this link is a possibility.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A9B6820-BFBB-4799-9908-D418CDEAC197&displaylang=en.

I need to check the net for homepages for your ATI graphic cards, but I probably have to know what Windows system you are running (98,NT, ME,XP or 2000).

For drivers for your soundcard goto http:www.Creative.com and click on the "support" feature, and then select the feaute "Drivers". Answer the next couple of screens with your current situation and eventually you will be able to download the correct driver. This driver can probably be executed right away on your computer to be installed.

Note that after installing new drivers, it's in general a good idea to restart your computer, to make sure the old drivers don't float around in your system, and the new once can take proberly over.

Above all have patience, Software/hardware can really be a pain in the ...., but don't let it get to you.
Post Wed May 04, 2005 9:25 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

hey man!

thanks so much fer the info....its good ta know that there are still some cool gamer peepz on the net that help others

imma go try all the stuff you gave me right now n see how it works out...ill let ya know how it goes

thanks again...

wizardry ferever...
-porter

p.s. im runnin windows 98 if that helps any...ever played wizardry tales of the forsaken land fer ps2? pre good...

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Thu May 05, 2005 5:25 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

oh geez

ok that was a pain....

i actually have version 1.2.4 of wizardry....thas what it says on the cd

download direct x 9.0 jus fer fun ta see if it would help....but like ya said, prolly wasnt the problem

now with the sound drivers.....im not so sure about....i got pretty far at the site you gave me till the last box....i couldnt find the version i had on there.....my pc says i got creative sb live version 007? wtf is that? lol

it was brutal though man....took like 1 1/2 hours ta get everything runnin, then like 10 minutes inta ta game play it sent me to the silly desktop again

im not giving up hope yet though.....shouldnt matter if i dont save cinimatics to harddrive right?

thanks fer yer help man and holla back at me....

-porter

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Thu May 05, 2005 6:03 pm
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

regenerate

jus wanted my message to be the first in line........lol

Post Sun May 08, 2005 11:44 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Okay so far so not so good

Before we/(I) give up, we still have to make sure we have the newest driver for your graphic card. This link is your gate to the right driver:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

You are right that "Cinematics", on the DVD instead of the harddrive shouldn't do a difference, but in rare cases it can for different reasons.

If you didn't succed with your soundcard:

Start here: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp

Choose: Soundblaster, Live, Live (Twice) and hit "Next".
Then choose: English, Windows XP/2000, Driver and hit "Go".
Option nr 2 sounds to me like a good choice.

Desktop crashes can also be related to lack of "Memory" both physically and/or virtually. The virtually part (Swap-file) can be enhanced(Normally best is 2.5 times the size of your physical memory) via your windows setup.

The last thing that comes to my mind right now, if there is a problem running the program "hardware accelerated" mode and or Direct 3D, or "Direct sound". these features can be adjusted/disabled (Temporary) in the "DirectX setup. Run "DXDiag" from anywhere, and find the tab: Display. And try disable Direct 3D acceleration, and under the Music tab disable the "Direct" "features" there too (Sorry,I don't have the precise name for it in my currently position). Just write it down or remember, what you change, so you always can change it back again. Especially "Direct 3D acceleration is worth using in many other games.

Good luck
Post Mon May 09, 2005 8:02 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

ty

thanks man fer all yer help....

imma go try all that stuff right now....but fer the sound card shouldnt i chose win98 SE since thats what im runnin?

-porter

Post Tue May 10, 2005 3:05 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

you also might want to defrag your drive (by right clicking on the c: drive and going to tools, defrag). You might also want to download spyware, adware removers that could be bogging down your system. I suggest spybot search and destroy and adware se.

But What i'm thinking your problem is is not enough disk space maybe? Is that why you didn't download cinemetics? I don't know how it works exactly but I think there needs to be a certain amount of free disk space available for a game to run. Maybe delete anything not necessary on the computer.

My last nugget of wisdom would be to download a tweak windows program. I have tweakxp but I'm sure there is one for 98. They have options to clear memory, give applications precidence, etc. A good think for you would be to have the start-up menu cleared of everything besides a firewall and anti-virus. If you hit cntl-alt-del you can see how much nonsense your computer is running behind your back.
Post Tue May 10, 2005 3:43 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

once again thanks

thank you both fer yer kind replies. i have made a list of the things ta do n i jus now got the sound drivers updated....so im on my way.

yer i beleive yer right.....i am very low on space....the one time it did start the game with out saying i had no disk space it lasted fer like 30 minutes...then crashed

imma try this stuff n see if i cant get this baby to run. like i said i miss wizardry 8 n ill kill ta get it back....

thanks
-porter

Post Tue May 10, 2005 4:13 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Re: ty

quote:
Originally posted by heretic71186
thanks man fer all yer help....

imma go try all that stuff right now....but fer the sound card shouldnt i chose win98 SE since thats what im runnin?

-porter

Yes sorry, ofcourse you should chose Win98 SE.

The tips from "Roqua" regarding checking limited harddisk space, and defragment of harddrive are good advises
Post Tue May 10, 2005 6:42 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

hey

hey if you would happen ta get this post tonight like the other ones, let me know cuz i may be havin difficulties with findin out what i need at the video driver site....not quite sure what to click...sorry im so helpless i jus want my Wiz back

thankyou
-porter

Post Tue May 10, 2005 7:10 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

ok heres wus up

Guys:

did everything that was possible....think it may of worked sept now everytime i enter the game the screen blinks n theres like a grid of lines over the screen....

i feel as if im so close yet at the same time hope is almost lost...

thank you fer eveything youve done fer me n i hope things work out with this silly game....

thanks
-porter

Post Tue May 10, 2005 10:01 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next