What exactly is a crafter's paradise?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

What exactly is a crafter's paradise?

I'm curious. I've never been much of a crafter myself. I dabbled in it, I sometimes liked it, but I am no crafter. I enjoyed DAoC's Alchemy quite a bit, and got my toon quite high in the crafting ladder at some point, but I cannot say that I was totally commited to it at all times, as some are.

So, enlighten me. Some of you are crafting gurus, right? So what is a crafter's paradise. Another thread discussion turned into a similar topic and I'm curious. When is a crafter trully happy? Is it just from creating items, disasembling them, and rebuilding them again and again? Do you get your rush by selling the stuff you made on your own? Which is it? When I review a game and consider crafting, what is it that I should look for to determine if that game has good crafting?
Post Fri May 28, 2004 3:44 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

The two games that I have played with the most enjoyable crafting were A Tale in the Desert, and Ultima Online. I can come up with a few guidelines to determine whether *I* will like crafting in a game.

1. If you choose so, you should be able to reach the pinnacle of crafting without ever having to fight.

2. As suggested by #1, raw resources should be available without having to fight, or be threatened. (Although it is fine if the majority of resources, especially the better ones are out where there is a little danger.)

3. Rather than following recipes, the materials should go together in a logical manner to create something. The players should have to find out for themselves what can be done.

4. The system should promote creativity, and allow multiple combinations of materials to build the same item, and that item should have different qualities as a result.

5. Crafted items should be better than all but the very best items found adventuring. At the very least, they should be better than what can be bought from vendors.

6. Items should decay over time. Things should require repair, and eventually break or be rendered useless.

7. Crafters should be able to work together to create something greater than the sum of the individual crafters' abilities. For example, a grandmaster smith and a grandmaster enchanter should be able to work together to make a magic sword.

Perhaps I'll add more to the list later, but I think that is a good start.

-vaticide
Post Fri May 28, 2004 3:59 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Attainable materials, reasonable crafting time, viable market, and no grinding required to increase your skill.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:02 pm