Are one handed weapons really so bad?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Mad Mike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Are one handed weapons really so bad?

Am I likely to get into trouble later on in the game if I concentrate on one handed weapons? I have read a few faqs which suggest that two handers are a better long term bet because they do more damage, have a longer range and are cheaper to train (Alrik's sword trick) but all the good weapons I have found so far are one handers.

I am a level 12 mercenary with 65 strength, one handers trained to 30 and two handers still at 10. I am using a one handed orc-slayer blade which does exactly what it says on the label. I have to decide whether to train one handed up further (expensive but gives instant results) or to simply switch to training two handed (cheap but won't give results in the short term).

Last edited by Mad Mike on Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:20 pm
Everclearules20
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It doesn't matter overall, you should be able to complete the game regardless of what type of sword you use. I prefer two handeds because of the length, but that's just my opinion. One handers are a bit faster than two handers; it's just whatever you prefer.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:49 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

1 handers are faster, so you can do more damage in a smaller space of time and I think they are easier to block with, 2 handers are slower but have a much longer range so you can keep your enemys further away they do more damage and they look better aswell But in this game the damage is more dependant on your abitilies, for example if you train 1 handed up to 100% and train your stregnth up to 110 you could kill ablack troll with a heavy branch quite quickly.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:09 pm
Mad Mike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the replies.

I am still undecided.

I like the responsiveness of one handers. I have noticed that a quick barrage of sideswipes will keep most monsters at bay. However I have yet to see anybody else say "I prefer one handers" while I have seen several people say the opposite. I'd love to hear from someone who has actually finished the game using only one handed before I commit myself.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:37 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I also prefer the one handers. I think the speed advantage more than balances out any loss in damage. And in the long run, you'll get powerful enough so that the damage differential really doesn't matter that much.

Besides, why not play the character you *want* to play instead of just what is "best'.

Gothic 2 is balanced well enough in this regard, so I wouldn't let it concern you.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:48 pm
QreepyBORIS
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It doesn't really matter. Go with what fits your personality.

I had played the original Gothic, so that gave me a little experience in my decision. I chose one-handed weapons. Why? Easy to block, easy to wield, and easy to get early on. However, if you choose 2-handed weapons, they are long ranged (quite handy), powerful, and cooler looking (remember the Shaman sticks from Gothic I? They were like 20 feet long. Very cool).

I think that by the time I had finished the game, I was at least 65% trained on each. That's master rating. And I didnt sacrifice stuff, wither. I smithed. I magicked (Paladin runes only, though...), and I alchemied. I didnt like bows or crossbows, though. You don't need them often.

So, in conclusion, it doesn't matter a whole lot. Go with what fits you. Or better yet, both.
I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER!I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER!
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:42 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I once completed the game using no weapons,

I used my fists, could kill an orc with a backward block followed by a double jab, but the running kick-shot was my favourite of all but was hard to master.

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:57 pm
Angelo
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well, one handed weapons are quite usefull for magicians and hunters. But later in the game, if you play as a paladin or dragon hunter, you get special 2handed weapons that are really strong.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:26 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I like 1-handed weapon early in the game or when I'm a mage. 1-Handed weapons are faster and also look better than 2-handed. By parrying I can kill a orc warrior with a 1-handed weapon with is relatively weak, sometimes it take over 20 blows before it finaly kills the orc. My favorite sword is the tortures axe (if I got the name right).
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:18 am
rcarter3
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The reason I think most end up using 2handed vs 1handed

As you train your melee weapon skills in G2 you are forced to train both. By that I mean once you move from one category.of expertise to another you then must train at a higher cost of exp points due to the extra points going to train up the weapon skill that is less experienced. By that I mean if you train 1handed up fighter from beginner then as you train up your 1handed skills you also devote and equal amount of exp points the the 2 handed skills until they both reach the same level i.e. both in the fighter category. Thus as you train up say 1handed to the master level you will find your 2handed skills have also entered that category.althought perhaps not to the 100% level. But all this said, when it comes to one handed vs two handed weapons; they both can fair well in the game. it is just that each type of weapon requres you to apply your skills in slightly different ways.

I have completed the game as a merc using the one handed ore slayer weapon which does 90 pts damage vice the two handed ore slayer which does 110 damage.

Note: always remember that the weapons ultimate foe damage is determined by the weapons damage factor, your strength, and your skill in wielding that style of weapon. So a one handed weapon doing 90 damage pts in someone's hands who has 120 str points and 100% mastery of one handed melee weapons will do the job just fine.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:39 am
Mad Mike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nice to see some support for one handers.

Now for a bit of uber-nerdiness. I have been adding up points to work out how far I am from achieving my ideal character. I am currently level 13 and I reckon I will need about 200 more learning points (level 33 or so) to get my ideal configuration. Is this realistic? How many levels do most people hit before they finish the game? I do a fair number of sidequests without being fanatical about them. I crossed into the valley of the mines at level 10. I am still faffing about looking for the ore mines and I have advanced to level 13.

For information the character I am trying to build will probably look something like this: Mercenary with 1 handed at 100%, Crossbow at 60%, Strength 100 + a few potions, dexterity 50 + a few berries, Ability to brew permanent strength potion, basic hunting skills and basic lockpicking skills, Mana as high as I can get it for free with bonuses and rings - I have a few nice scrolls I'd love to use.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:51 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I finished the game with one handed sword, never put a point into 2 handed, well not directly. I was a master with 100 % on both. So I tried out then. I prefered the speed of the one handed weapon over the 2 handed weapon. The strength difference is neglectable because of the speed difference. So just choose the one you want and think suites you the best, you can do this by training them on the same level and figth the same creature once with one handed and then with 2 handed and judge for yourself
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:30 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I became a master with both 1 and 2 handed weapons, but only because I hardly concentrated on ranged weapons. I suggest that if you're going to concentrate on 1 handed weapons, concentrate on at least one type of ranged weapon.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:51 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

I think a lot of people finish the game between level 40 and 45. My lowest was 38, and my highest was 43. There are people here who finish around level 50 or so because they killed pretty much EVERY living thing on both maps.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:08 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

i like 1-handed weapons more, because the speed factor.Also i think they seem cooler and feel more elegant to wield(ie better blocking ability), thefore i prefer them.

i finished a game first time as a level 35-37, if i can recall correctly.i just didn't have patience to go killing all roaming monsters out there as following the story felt more interesting thing to do than gaining all the exp i could possibly get
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:58 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next