Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I got it working !! Yay :D! But now need notr game help :O!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Fifl
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I got it working !! Yay :D! But now need notr game help :O!

I finaly got it working ! Thanks to a friend lending me his CD rom. Turns out my Asus DVDrom won't read the special section of the cd or somthing. ((His technobabble was kinda lost on me)) But with his regular cd rom it works. So if anyone has a problem like mine, just try it in a regular cd rom.

But anyway... Notr is freaking hard ! I would like to consider myself decent in melee combat, and I am now level 11 in the valley of mines as a mage. Since my spells are pretty pointless right now I trained up my melee quite a bit. 60 strength and 50% 1 handed fighting.

I used to be able to dance around regular orcs, dodge their swings, parry ect... but now they move like lightning and 1 hit kills me. What gives? My 60 damage sword barely knicks them when I do land a hit. I can't afford 100000000 mana potions, like I would need to have to use fireballs on them. So does anyone know how I am supposed to level up now if I can't kill anything in the valley of mines? :/

Also it seems with the increased attack speed of enemies, 2 hand weapons are kind of pointless now. You can't get in an attack and parry intime without getting destroyed. Has anyone been able to use 2 hand effectivly in notr?

Thanks again!
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:12 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: I got it working !! Yay :D! But now need notr game help

quote:
Originally posted by Fifl
I finaly got it working !

Congratulations!

quote:

But anyway... Notr is freaking hard !

Well, you knew this before. Everybody said itīs hard, my review said itīs hard, and itīs well known that the mage career in the add-on is even harder. So no complaining please. Either you can handle this or you canīt.

quote:

I would like to consider myself decent in melee combat, and I am now level 11 in the valley of mines as a mage. Since my spells are pretty pointless right now I trained up my melee quite a bit. 60 strength and 50% 1 handed fighting

a) Try again when youīre level 20!
b) 60 Str + 50 1H is completely off track.
c) Start over. You canīt afford to waste skill points as a mage. Your character can hardly be saved.

quote:

I used to be able to dance around regular orcs, dodge their swings, parry ect... but now they move like lightning and 1 hit kills me. What gives? My 60 damage sword barely knicks them when I do land a hit. I can't afford 100000000 mana potions, like I would need to have to use fireballs on them. So does anyone know how I am supposed to level up now if I can't kill anything in the valley of mines? :/

Only two small hints:
1. What are you doing in the valley of mines? Youīre meant to go there when the whole add-on is finished.
2. You didnīt listen to Lord Hagen. I donīt think he asked you to hunt Orcs. If you have to fight a single Orc in the valley of mines in chapter 2 then youīre doing something wrong. This chapter can be solved in about 1 hour with just a bit of fighting. So without revealing the trick it should be obvious by now that you missed it.
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:16 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Well what can you add when the master has spoken?

Perhaps an answer to the 2H weapon stuff. 2H have a wider range and do more damage, so that's the advantage. -> I didn't use it when I played it the 'normal' (no cheats) way, so I can't really say that I went for the 2H.
NFG member
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:34 pm
Fifl
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: I got it working !! Yay :D! But now need notr game help

Gorath I'm not really complaining, just stating the way I see things so I can get some advice. Why are my stats off track? With only fireballs how am I expected to kill anything without using melee combat? I can understand hard , but chaining circle 1 &2 abilities and getting slaughtered and saving/reloading sounds like not much fun.

I went to VoM first because I don't want to take on these super tough enemies I hear about in the expansion with only CIRCLE 2 abilities! Also , I know how to get passed chapter 2 without fighting anything except maybe snappers, by just sneaking from the 3 mining points and then using the teleport runes. But that seems like not hardly any fun just running around, plus I wouldn't get much stronger off just quest completion experiance.
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:01 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

The only way I can see NOTR being fun is just to see the added storyline otherwise it sounds like number crunching. Bah.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:43 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I played notr through as a mage first time, so let me give few decent hints.

As a mage candidat at the begining i trained my strength up to 30.After that it starts to cost double to any character in notr.So there is no point to put anymore lps to that skill, because you will need those preciouss lps for magic skills and mana.You are not a paladin or a mercenary.Your greatest power llays in your runes! So use your brains instead of muscles! Anyhow after 30, only ways i raised my strg was by reading stone tablets(learn to read them, it is a trade,in which you can't lose). Drinking some strg potions i found or bought(hint check merchants in town) during the game.Finally orcourse by eating lots of dragon roots, apples, soups, and hekla's stew etc etc.You'll get the point.

Also did you remember to look for belts, rings and amulets?those can easily raise your strenght even by 40!On the presumption that you have fond the best combination.Thought it is tough tradeoff,because mage should choose manarings and amulets instead of strenght ones to boost his mana.Still at the beging those items are quite handy and when your magic skills get better and better you can allways change to manaones...At the certain point of game you will just notice that you can't beat everyone with a sword, if you don't really specialize on it.

What comes to melee skills i trained my 1-handed skill up to 30 and after 30 i learned rest throught stone tablets(there are lots of those).Also you might know the book that can be bought from the upper town(+5 to 1-handed skill).
Also as a mage i can't stress how important it is to pick a GOOD weapon.For instance a fine sword gives you +5 bonus to 1-handed skill if you equip it, a fine longsword gives +6 etc.
finally this might be a minor spoiler but at some point you can find a ring that increases your 1-handed skill by +10.So really as yo can see there is no need to spend any lps to one handed fighting when you have reached to 30.

Basic rule: allways save your lps for MANA, RUNES, CIRCLES, and learn to make permanent mana potions and learn to read stone tablets.

First and foremost Develop your mana up to 60 manually after that start to drink manapotions and use tablets, not before unless you want to make your life much harder.Finally REMEMBER that every fiftieth dark mushroom gives you +5 to mana and yes it does it EVERYTIME.

Also some additional thropy skills are needed to make certain runes, but i'm quite sure knew that allready.

And lockpicking is must for any character, without it you will miss quite a lot valuable stonetablets.So you will need 10 lps for it.

When you choose your runes.Choose carefully, because they determenite how easy or or how hard playing will be.

From the first circle: Firearrow

from the second circle:

Before all FIREBALL is your best friend during the first half of the game.And the skeletons give you no problem if you know the fireball rune.I highly recommand learning the fireball .I would call the death of skeleton instead, so much it hurts them.Go and try

Ice arrow is quite nice.costs less than fireball, but ain't as damaging thought, still quite a nice spell to have..

i wouldn't bother to learn fist of wind or any other spells from the lower circles.Thought minor healing won't hurt, but at the end you can just buy healing scrolls or potions.

Well i won't spoil any later runes, but you should defiently save everytime before you decide to learn or make anew rune.IF you are not happy with it..load your save game and try an other.

what comes to the loved orcs, do not even try weakling! You are just not strong enough.Thought you can find and buy few scrolls to help you on desparate situations but at the end you are not ready to face hordes of orcs.Especially when you don't have any powerfull runes..Remember that the mage is not fighter.Still if you develop your character well he can kill few orcs even with a swordplay, but don't even dream of killing many orc warriors at the same time without the aid of your runes, because you can never become as strong or efficient with a sword as a paladin or a mercenary can.

I'll hope this post of mine offered some help..

ps: When you reach to the fourth, fifth and sixth circle you can eat orc at the morning, mercanaries for the lunch.Finally for the dinner you can order some paladin meat, if you so desire .Mage's path is the hardest,but it is the most rewarding IMO.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:31 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I heard several others mention one-handers for a mage, but I'd say take two-handers. I won't go into the slow/fast- or range part, but there are several very nice two-handed weapons especially for mages.

Staffs now really are a mage's friend. There are a few with an awesome strength/damage ratio, like the "Circle of Water"-pike (30 strength, 60 damage), the Watermagesstaff (35 strength, 65 damage, +4% twohanded) and the Magicstaff (don't know the correct name) that requires mana instead of strength and even gives you a mana bonus.

While in the original game every npc was really exaggerating about Orcs and the VoM, in the NotR they aren't. Orcs are dangerous and in the VoM there are a lot of orcs.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:16 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thereīs a saber which does 100 damage with a 50 Dex requirement.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:56 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I don`t know why everyone keeps saying that NotR is hard! I completed NotR with a paladin and I had no problem with the difficulty at all! The only problem was with the seekers which are much stronger on NotR than in G2. Maybe if I woul;d start over with a mage, then it would be a different story...but I had no problems at all being a paladin!
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:11 pm
Fifl
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Boy was I excited to find the mage circles available as books in the addon I thought I was doomed to use fireballforever.

Thanks a ton for the tip on starting over to Gorath !
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:00 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

forgot to say that water mages can teach you some of the coolest runes in the game Ice lance is my favorite.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:59 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by bigboy_
I don`t know why everyone keeps saying that NotR is hard! I completed NotR with a paladin and I had no problem with the difficulty at all! The only problem was with the seekers which are much stronger on NotR than in G2. Maybe if I woul;d start over with a mage, then it would be a different story...but I had no problems at all being a paladin!

When you know which animals became stronger there's nothing more difficult. For instance, in G2 you could try to take on a shadowbeast when you were level 8 and an orc too if you blocked well, now you can forget that because they have way more armor than you do damage etc. But if you stay away from them, there's no problem at all.
The only thing I've found hard untill now are the Fire Demons in the Library of the Scholars. They are even tougher than shadowbeasts (Ice Lance works very well against them, but I only have a few spell scrolls of them.)
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:03 pm