Lionheart demo available?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Lionheart demo available?

RPGCodex says that a site called cdprojekt has the Lionheart demo available for download at http://www.cdprojekt.info/download.asp?action=Download&fid=760
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:04 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Their site is getting hammered though, so good luck! You might have better luck going to the homepage and following the links. I think you click on the word stad? to get to the download.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:11 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

This link is down now. Totally

Well, it was quite a story with this demo, actually. CD Projekt is the Polish publisher for Lionheart, and they just were too fast for Interplay. Interplay wanted all demo download sites to be available simultaneously from one date. So they emailed to CD Projekt and this link was removed. It existed for some 2 hours. Lucky those who managed to have a copy... We still have to wait for official release.

EDIT

Here is the link for the news
http://lionheart.cdprojekt.com/en/default.asp?id=news#73

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:53 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

File planet has it too.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:11 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well? whats the demo like?
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:36 pm
Pinky's Brain
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My initial impressions, clickfest with random loot ... also knowing that I couldnt initiate some actions from pause hadnt quite prepared me for the annoying reality of it.

Graphics seem slicker and more detailed than DD. Havent played enough to make any judgement on the story and depth of interactivity with other NPCs. After my first death, Im not very good at Diablo type games, I hit a chest only to find a kickass weapon from my first run to be replaced with some useless shit ... and I gave up for a while. Going back in now.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:43 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I found the demo to be more boring than watching paint dry.
Really disappointed in the combat.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:00 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I tried the demo, it seems like a nice game ... it will be the story that will make or break it.

Does the demo only cover up to the cross roads? I was unable to proceded any further.

Edit, silly me. The only option I did not try (the south) is the one that continues the demo. The demo ends when you reach Barcelona ... or at least, so says the home page.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:54 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

I liked the begining of the story, the leveling system and the graphics. But I couldn't stand combat. It just reminded me more of Diablo than anything else. Everything happends so quick. I found it impossible to atack an enemy with an bow because I couldn't manage to target him with my mouse before he reached my char. You can use spacebar to stop the action but it didn't help me too much. Altough I liked the way the weapons look and some spells like for example the one that allows you to transform corps into health. The other thing that reminded me of Diablo were the two "bowls" that indicate the amount of health and mana. Even my character wearing a leather armour reminded me of the fighter from D1. But maybe I just didn't play the game long enough. I'll probably get the full version, but after what i saw I don't expect to enjoy it as much as G2 for example.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:26 pm
Bugracer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree with Lintra. The demo does not give a very good idea how the story line goes, though voice acting seems good. If story comes half way BG series, its going to be pretty good. If not.. well...

I think somebody said LH spanish sucks but I wouldn't know

I've also seen lot of complaints on combat. I would prefer BG style combat, but will propably manage with this one, its not that bad. I hope people will try the game, and judge the combat after playing it a bit.

I remember the debate on Gothic controls. Whoaaa they were bad(controls I mean - mho). I did not like the game like majority, but I believe that the ones who did, did not give a *s..t* for the controls. They enjoyed the game and good for them. Ususally there is always something about a game somebody dislikes. If you like BG type games, I'd give LH a shot. I will.

If you did not like BG games, wait for more reviews whether to bother and waste your oney for a game type that is not your liking.

P.S. Anyone know what Bioware PC RPG game development is about?
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:01 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by Bugracer
P.S. Anyone know what Bioware PC RPG game development is about?

I'm not sure what you mean...do you mean the the unannounced CRPG project that Bioware is working on? If so, they've been very tight-lipped. Other than knowing they've got something 'secret' in production, I haven't heard seen any rumours.

As for Lionheart, I really enjoyed it. I would have preferred the pause to offer more functionality and don't like the big PAUSED banner but it sort of reminded me of Divine Divinity. I generally like more strategic combat but Reflexive were clear as a bell it would have action combat and I don't mind playing a couple of those here and there.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:48 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Okay, finished the demo once as a fighter type. Pretty easy, 'cept for the Ogres. UGH!

Tried a second time as a spell caster ... NO WAY. The bad guys are on you and wailing away a mile a minute whilest your poor character sits there and gets thumped.

I will try the spell caster again, but this time go for electrical or cold damage. The fire specialty just didn't hack it ... also if playing a spell caster I recommend dumping at least a few points into the healing branch. I tried specializing in fire all the way, and it did NOT work well.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:46 pm
Bugracer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I played the demo through twice, first with fighter/mage hybrid. This was ok, not easy but manageable. I would strongly suggest taking advantage of the spell that drains hp from monsters and gives it to you. Makes a big difference with mage.

Seconly I wnet 100% thief styel. This was pretty awesome!! You can actually sneak off from most of the combat, and exp with a different way. Backstabbing seems to work too. I got only slightly less exp. before the end than with fighting everything possible. Good option for ones who like to play rogue.

I found mage option most difficult, but I will propably go for that in full version, spice it up with little fighter and hope that it helps.[/quote]
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:45 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Okay, I gave up on the mage for the second run and went with a 100% tank. It was a waltz. Even the ogres were pretty straight forward.

The only really tough fight was the third time I touched the big red pillar. It was do-able, but just.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:09 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

The 100% bowman can also kick the ogres ehh behind, but you have to back away quite a few times. Overall I'm not sure what I should think about this game. This hack'n slash from one small map to another...hmm. Maybe the story will be interesting enough, hard to tell from the demo. Every 10'th number put into a specific skill seems to improve them a little bit. Traits and Perks are nice features for alternating play styles. Graphics is okay for a 2D game. Beast sound is okay too. Inventory a bit clumpsy, why does each item have to be so big, it disturbes the overview, I mean my character is 1 inch high, but my healing potion 3 inch high!?
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:09 am