Gamemethod Editorial on "Where are the real MMOrpg's&qu
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
zorbor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gamemethod Editorial on "Where are the real MMOrpg's&qu

<P>This article made me thing about what actually makes a great MMOrpg.  I've been playing Asheron's Call since it came out of beta, and this editoral made me think about what has kept my attention.  I hope it makes you think as well.  Get the full article <A href="http://www.gamemethod.com/archive/214-2.php" target=_blank>here</A>.</P>
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:18 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I agree with the Horizons complaints (because i was pissed too when they had a total blackout), but not with the UXO complaints. UXO is about questing and adventuring more than its about treadmilling...
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:21 am
Ozy

Bleh

Honestly I didn't think it was a good article. I read it more as a rant than an intelligent analysis of the issues.

Its easy for someone to sit in their lounge chair saying that the big gaming companies are catering to a corporate structure, blah blah blah. That is the typical complaint of someone who wants to whine about something these days.

The truth of the matter is that games are being designed the way they are (e.g., consentual PVP and treadmills) for a good reason - it is what the vast mass of customers have indicated they prefer. The mass of gamers want community, adventure, and character development. While they may be interested in player combat, they do not want to be targets for PKers 24/7. Companies are making games that the masses want to play, not games that the few l33t players want to play. Oh, and they want to make a profit? Uh, hello, that's how the world works folks.

Take PKing for example. This has been a lesson well learned. In the early days of UO, Origin lost a large number of customers to EQ because PKing (without consequences) was so rampant on the servers that new players logging on were being limited from accessing certain areas of the game by a few l33t players. I was there, I saw friends leaving. Look at other games, like AC and AC2 - the PVP servers have had a significantly lower population than other game servers. While I enjoy PvP quite a bit. The masses do not.

The bottom line is that game designers are not sitting in an ivory tower taking commands from a CEO. They are gamers themselves making games, and in some cases making very good games compared to what we had just a few short years ago. To state that they are sold out to the corporate world, are not making games a lot of people want to play, etc etc, is just plain wrong. The issues covered in the linked article are important ones, but they deserve a more thoughtful evaluation. Rants about these things are a dime a dozen.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:02 pm

Stormwaltz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Ozy
The truth of the matter is that games are being designed the way they are (e.g., consentual PVP and treadmills) for a good reason - it is what the vast mass of customers have indicated they prefer.

The question is, why do they prefer that? Is it because that is what they truly want, or is it because the flaws of early UO and the excesses of the loudest members of the PvP community have trained people to equate PvP with grief play? I would argue the latter. PvP has not yet had a chance to truly work.

And don't forget that more people play Counterstrike and Battlefield 1942 than any one MMP (save possibly Lineage). It's not PvP itself people hate - it's cheaters and griefers. The trick is to design a game that cheaters and griefers aren't rewarded in and can't survive in.

quote:
The mass of gamers want community, adventure, and character development.

None of which are incompatable with a tightly designed PvP system. In fact, the Darktide server of AC1 often had stronger communities and grander adventures than "white dot" worlds.

quote:
The bottom line is that game designers are not sitting in an ivory tower taking commands from a CEO.

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:42 pm
Silverado
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I am just curious as to what treadmilling is -- in this context
Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:52 pm