Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Betrayal at Krondor (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

And very challenging chest lock puzzles as well! I'm sure you won't open more then 50-60% chest locks without cheating.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 11:25 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I beat this game once. I loved it, i like intelligent strategic combat and having to think about the fight instead of blindly bashing like some other games (diablo)... But the battles were only half of this game. The storytelling is extremely well written, almost magical, and the graphics were excellent for the time it came out. I actually have played this game at least 300 hours. This game, Doom2, Ultima, and SSI series of games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of Azure Bonds, et cetera) encompassed my entire early computer gaming experience. And Betrayal at Krondor was my very favorite. True, those pesky riddles on the chests got tiresome after a while, but i had my ingenious little brother to help me out; for some reason he could remember the answer to every riddle in the game without a hintbook. Sheesh. Some people just have a nack for it, excluding me. I sucked at the riddles and i purposely dodge any game that overly uses puzzles/riddles (UGH I FREAKIN HATE PUZZLES/RIDDLES). In fact, next time i see him i think i'll either give him a hug or bash him in the head, havent decided . Anyways, Betrayal at Krondor was an AWESOME game and is one of my very favorite games of all time.
Post Mon May 12, 2003 5:40 am
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
True, those pesky riddles on the chests got tiresome after a while, but i had my ingenious little brother to help me out; for some reason he could remember the answer to every riddle in the game without a hintbook.

Was there any hintbook with the official edition? I played it after it was launched as freeware. If so, I would very much like to see it, the hints especially.
I made a simple site with a selection of these riddles (see: http://www.puchal.prv.pl/wlocks.htm ). I would like to add more of them but I have no more ideas to the hints.
If anyone could just scan this book for me or even write some hints himself and send me, I would be happy to include him/her in credits page.
Post Mon May 12, 2003 12:14 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Unfortunately, i dont have any hintbook for BaK. Might want to try www.uhs-hints.om. I never had a hintbook at all...
Post Mon May 12, 2003 5:26 pm
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Pity. I hoped you got a "hintbook" with the original edition maybe. I must have misundrstood you. Well, I will look for some hints in internet.
Stiil, if anyone can help me, please, do it! I want some real hints, not ready answers - which can be easily found on www or extracted from game's files
Post Wed May 14, 2003 8:16 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

No i was saying that my little brother Chris was the one that helped me with the riddles. I didnt say i had a hint book. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Post Wed May 14, 2003 7:04 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The Betrayal at Krondor Help Web has a 100% solution for the game. Everything can be found over there.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:29 pm
StratRat

hintbook for BaK

I actually purchased this game and it's hint book back in the day. It is a pretty comprehensive book. I have it around somewhere...

quote:
Originally posted by puma
quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
True, those pesky riddles on the chests got tiresome after a while, but i had my ingenious little brother to help me out; for some reason he could remember the answer to every riddle in the game without a hintbook.

Was there any hintbook with the official edition? I played it after it was launched as freeware. If so, I would very much like to see it, the hints especially.
I made a simple site with a selection of these riddles (see: http://www.puchal.prv.pl/wlocks.htm ). I would like to add more of them but I have no more ideas to the hints.
If anyone could just scan this book for me or even write some hints himself and send me, I would be happy to include him/her in credits page.
Post Tue May 23, 2006 8:25 pm

Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

One of the greatest CRPG's ever made, IMO.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 5:08 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

After playing 'Betrayal at Krondor' several times over i awaited the follow-up 'Return to Krondor'
I played the demo' for a few hours, it seemed to be better and bigger but never got to play the full game.

How did this Sierra sequel game compare with the original - was it better?
Post Tue May 30, 2006 10:59 am
bjon0455

Return to krondor has it's moments but it gets bogged down in the later chapters. The random battles pissed me off a little as well as the random magical items you would get. There are a couple of nonsensical puzzles as well.

Betrayal in Anatara (the krondor knockoff from sierra) was quite good from a game mechanics standpoint but the storytelling and pacing towards the end (endless battles in the wasteland) lets the game down.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 12:57 pm

I got given Betrayel at Krondor and Star Controll II for christmass one year, 1992 I think. I didn't nag my folks to buy another game that year. In my opion they are two of the best games ever made.

BaK kept me busy for more than a year as I was new to gaming at the time. It hold more hours of bliss than any other game ever. Oblivion kept me busy for 3-4 weeks, nowhere near what BaK did to me.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 5:16 pm

Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

This is just my opinion, but I thought both the official sequal and the 'unofficial' sequal were pretty bad games. I played both (until I gave up), but if you're desperate for something to play and can find a copy, Return to Krondor was the better of the two. But I don't think either one was particularly outstanding.
Post Tue May 30, 2006 10:14 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I agree with Sir Markus - Return to Krondor is better than Betrayal at Antara - but the best game is Betrayal at Krondor.

Return to Krondor and Betrayal at Krondor are based in Raymond E. Feists World
Midkemia.

Betrayal at Antara is just a bad copy of Feists ideas.
Post Wed May 31, 2006 7:55 pm