Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Diego won't give me a break. Game broke?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Jelry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Spoiler warning
Diego will not recognize all my hard work and let me in the castle! He tells me I need to improve my thieving skills and with the exception of losing to the first arena combat, I am good to go. I currently have lvl 1 open locks. I have load/saved with the following skills: open lock lvl 2, pickpocket 1 and sneak 1. I spoke with Diego with each combination and he still says I need to improve my skills via Fingers.
In addition to this, Fingers keeps offering lvl 1 open lock even after I have it, keeps telling me about the guy in the woods with the sneak skill over and over (journal entry each time although only one entry in book), and even offers the other skills after I had them. I think the game has a scripting/quest error which does not recognize the skills I already have. Any help?

On a side note, the armorer in the Swamp City continuously sells raw steel after the first time you buy it. I was able to produce 30-40 swords before getting bored. Also, if you cycle swords through the different stations, sometimes the game will go through the action of the event (heating the raw steel, beating the heated steel, cooling the blade, or sharpening the steel)and add the respective item to your inventory. One time I had five raw steel in my inventory and produced nine swords. True vapor ware (or is that voporal ware). The mystery blades caused some scrolling problems in my inventory, but nothing else apparently.

I have the English version of the game which I believe was version 1.08j.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2001 5:42 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

SPOILER ALERT!

Your problem sounds familiar. I had it 5 months ago, so I donīt know exactly how I solved it.

Letīs start with the escape plan. Donīt give Diego Ianīs list. The list is your pass to the NC. Did you kill Mordrag or let him guide you to the NC?

You have to be at least at level 5 to enter the castle.
Fingers tells you about Cavalorn. Did you visit him (okay, I think so). Have you asked Fingers to help you with Diego?

What about the "steal the recipe/formula" quest? Maybe this works as prove you learned something.

Post Mon Nov 26, 2001 8:19 pm
Jelry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gorath,

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers to your escape plan . . .

I already gave the list to Diego.

I have done nothing but buy stuff from Mordrag. I don't think I unlocked any special conversations with him for him to take me to New Camp.

My character is currently level seven. I tried Diego at level five and level six with the same results.

I have visited Cavalorn and spoke with him. I bought the bow skill. I experimented with buying sneak from him to see if Fingers would see this as a skill, but no luck with Diego on this one either. I did not save the game with sneak as I felt it a waste of skill points.

With Fingers . . . I have explored every conversation available to me with Fingers. I don't remember exactly, but I think a conversation piece in the past covered that he was going to talk to Diego for me. I am not really sure though.

I have finished the "steal recipe" quest and handed it over to the guy who asked for it. Diego acknowledges this fact in his 'how is my esteem in the camp' talk.

Additionally, I have bought the sword and returned it. I found poor Nek (?spelling?) and returned the item I found. Diego recognizes these things also.

I have not made anyone angry with me and have faithfully paid off the guards.

-Still stuck, I think.

Jelry

Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:27 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Okay, some more things to try.

Ask for Thorus for a quest. He tells you to take care of Mordrag. Then let Mordrag show you the NC. He gives you a ring. Go to Lares. Do all the quests for the NC also....
The trick is, if you are still stuck at level 10, you can cheat a bit. Take control of Diego and get the list back. Then you should be able to become a member of the NC.

Donīt forget to talk to Thorus again, to finish the Mordrag quest. Also do the arena fight(s) again. Maybe you can can impress Scatty.

Gorath
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:57 am
Jelry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gorath,

Thanks again for the help. I will definitely give those thoughts a shot.

However, we are dancing around what I believe is a design/bug problem rather than something specific that I am doing wrong. From what I can gather from a walkthrough I found and what I have read, this game should not be doing the things I have described and not be an design problem or bug. With Fingers, I have obtained all the skills he offers, even up to level two. Even though I have done this, Diego does not recognize that my character has built up the 'skills' he requires. As I understand the situation, this is the only thing from keeping me from joining the guards eventually. This is something the game tells me my character can do and something I want to do. While I am no expert in the Gothic system and cannot speak authoritatively, I believe this is a bug/design problem in the quests system.

Gorath, I welcome your comments and thank you for your time. Is this the best 'english' board to post these topics in order to get resolution? While I took German a long time ago, I am by no means fluent in the language any longer.

Given all of this, I am very impressed with Gothic and have enjoyed what I have done so far in the game. My hope is that I can get around this problem the way I would like too and move on in this game without being constrained by some quirk in the code.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:56 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This is the only English board with some traffic.
Another one is on gothic.gomp.net.

http://forum.gamesweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=a8202f8955a87e83d3fe149621c81228&forumid=159
You should try to post in this forum. Itīs in German, but itīs no problem to post in English. Some people there finished the game more than 10 times.

Normally you should be able to become a shadow even with one quest missing. I never fought in the arena and it was no problem.

Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:08 am

You are not alone. I am having the same bug/problem. It's really pissing me off because my character is level 8 and I'm running out of monsters that I can safely kill (since I still have crappy digger armor), and so I can't gain much more experience. If I can't gain much more experience than I'm essentially stuck since I've tried to beat Kirgo about 100 times and I always get my ass kicked. I guess I'll just have to go back to one of my saves before the test of faith and go to the NC.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 8:28 am

I think you are supposed to lose to both Kirgo and Kharim. Afterwards talk to Scally and you get experience. Then talk to Diego.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:36 am

Zan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Those fights are easy when you have a bow.Bring their health down with a bow.Then hit them once with a club.I never took any thief skills to join OC.I did all the other quests and that was enough for Diego.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:40 pm