Selection problem
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Selection problem

When I'm focused on an npc and their name is on the screen, if there is something selectable behind the npc, that item becomes selected instead of the npc. For example an NPC sitting on a bench, the bench gets selected and says 'in use' even though the NPC is clearly selected (name on screen). I have to find an angle where I only select the NPC.

Sometimes when I lock on to a target to fire a spell, my character turns AWAY from the locked on enemy and attacks an NPC in the distance instead. Huh?

Anyone else experiencing these issues?
Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:51 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I think Iīve seen this problem before. Donīt know how to solve it, though. Wasnīt there a key to toggle though the selections?
Post Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:11 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

That key would be caps lock.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:51 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Once a lock on a focus is made, then it will not "un-lock" even if the enemy/monster is to one side of the screen or behind. I often lock onto a monster with the bow and fire arrows to the rear yet still face forward. Why use caps-lock when holding the key with the finger will suffice? . . . . this is yet another instance of where the speed of the keyboard/selectivity is superior to the clickety - click mouse! - - and we mustn't overlook the fact that it is also possible to cycle through the various focussed opponents or objects....such is the beauty of the control system given to us by Piranha Bytes, no complaints from me, same again please in G3.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:40 pm
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well I just reinstalled the game and I still have the same problem. If I'm locked onto a snapper, then fire my arrow, the arrow fires towards a nearby snapper, which then becomes where I'm locked on to. The caps lock key doesn't do anything for me. But that wouldn't fix this problem.
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Muze, i understand,

Maybe you could try the following and confirm what happens. Try to find a strategic place to stand with bow aimed but out of harms way of the target - up a tree, on a ledge or tall rock etc' - then lock onto one of them, you will see that where ever the snapper moves the the focus word "snapper" will be highlighted 'continuously' even if the snapper goes out of sight. Using some calmness and keeping quite still wait until the focussed word "snapper" comes reasonably near to the centre of the screen, if it is in the extreme left or right bottom of the screen you may have some difficulty hitting the target. It depends on your skill, if you have above 33% 'maxed' - because the chance of a critical hit is low with low stats.
After firing arrows and killing the particular first target and while still continually holding the focus lock - you will see the next nearest target become focussed automatically.
If you find that your keyboard or mouse with re-mapped/assigned functions cannot achieve all of this, then maybe you should try a different keyboard or mouse to confirm if there is no technical malfunction with your current set-up.

Let us know how how it goes.
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:07 am
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

OK I figured out the problem. I play with Gothic 1 controls off, thereby allowing for "more keys" to show up as an option under controls. These extra keys are for combat and can be assigned any of the same keys that were already assigned on the previous page. This causes conflicts. I had assigned mouse left to both 'action' and 'attack left.' This is why whenever I tried to talk to someone sitting on a bench, I get a 'it's in use' message. And also why my lock/focus on an enemy would switch to nearby targets when attacking.

It seems that the combat keys can be assigned the same as non combat keys because these are different areas of gameplay, and there shouldn't be conflicts. I'm suggesting that this is what the developers thought. Anyways it's not the case.

I solved it by clearing 'attack left' completely. 'Action' does an attack left swing anyways, so 'action' is my left mouse button, while 'attack right' is my right mouse button.

At any rate, now I can lock on/focus on what I want and the lock/focus stays there.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:56 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Good to hear your problem is solved.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:20 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes Muze, same as Gorath, glad to hear the good news.

As you say left and right attacks are working now, but what about forward attack? - this is vital has it incorporates a slight forward creeping/edgeing toward the enemy (good for pushing the foe against walls etc'). Not only that but how on earth are you managing to block? - or block and thrust foward? - these moves are essential to the true gothic player.
So of course it follows, that all gothics default (G1) keyboard layouts are the most applicable and well thought-out controls that you could possibly have - both full-functionally and ergonomically. I would suggest you might try this way - once you do there will be no going back.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:43 am
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well I'd have to disagree that default controls in Gothic or any game are simply the best and only way to play... Everyone has their preferences, and what works for one may not work for another. I use a Belkin n52 controller for my left hand for any type of 1st or 3rd person game. It's basically a left hand controller with keyboard buttons ergonomically designed for the hand, plus other buttons under the thumb. I don't like using the keyboard, although this is actually very similar. I have movement keys and other functions there, while all my attacking and interacting is on the mouse. In addition to mouse left attack and mouse right attack, I use mouse mid to lock (just hit it once and lock stays on until they die or I hit it again), and I parry with the side button, where my thumb is. Forward attack I move forward and and hit left mouse, and that results in a different attack. If there are other attacks I don't know what they are or how to bind them. I'm not using Gothic 1 controls BTW. I played original Gothic 2 like that.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:52 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes the Belkin controller (and others) are all as you say to the players preferences. You've explained well of what i thought you were missing, it appears that you have indeed, all functions. They say that G3 will also keep the G1 style of controls, so again your set-up would do the job well.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:07 am